South Goodwin Lightship

An interesting kit to build and unlike all the usual warships. The part to part fit was ok, only minimum warping of some parts, that were straightened by dipping into hot water and then bent into shape. Due to a lack of metal chain, which would have been better, I used the plastic chain that came attached to the anchors. It was okayish, but not all that lifelike. This kit was my first real go at weathering, ie rust, I think it came out ok but I do need more practise.

The PE set from Atlantic Models made all the difference to the railings and the walkway on the light tower.

Jon.

p?i=bc57c00836a472eeac5482d10a563208

p?i=f19186e73c818f97019d4691961f8665

p?i=647069487dd4610a2fdbca39c04c4788

p?i=4738e20325fd7e3b284098699b92c625

p?i=b9b2e5595c3e5eb5c7a514203781951c

p?i=a4a3fa0a65c302e833ebb09f5e3653ec

p?i=751d2f73b8ce65dcd3051b859c57c752

p?i=f945aaa028288d50fcc6123622019b18

p?i=7a58fcd58c41cfd5fa94ee779a446b78

p?i=b069c0d370fd4239b95171f07ead1a08

p?i=18e6ee5a3d9eed057d05f01245c1ae36

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking job there Jon thought you might have went for a sea base setting for it.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

Beefy. I’ve never done that, so have shied away from it. I’m a bit limited for storage space, so to actually create a diorama could present problems.

I’ve got a 1/700 waterline destroyer in the stash, maybe that’ll get a seascape. 
Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Congrats Jon - very pleasing build and spot on with the detail

We've definitely got you hooked :winkgrin:

Rob

Yup, but what to do with the aircraft in the stash ?

Jon

Wonderful job. Lovely faded paint. Trinity House used to moor their spare ships in Harwich harbour. Quite common for 3 of them to be seen at anchor.

A sight we won't see again. I don't know how many are preserved. I have one in the stash. We used to have 2 moored off the coast, The 'CORK' and the 'SUNK'. With a bit of bodging, I can get the decals to read 'SUNK'.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Really interesting topic to build, also I like the way you have been restrained with the weathering. It would be too easy to overdo it.🙂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, donsidedave said:

Really interesting topic to build, also I like the way you have been restrained with the weathering. It would be too easy to overdo it.🙂

You’re very kind. It was fun to build, as for weathering, it scares the willies out of me, so I tend to (I think) underdo it.

Jon

Inspired by your build, Jon, I bought the Ark Models Lightship and the Atlantic Models PE. Four weeks ago I was in Dundee and took some photos of "North Carr" (Scotland's last remaining lightship) which is tied up near to HMS Unicorn:

spacer.png

She looks very distressed (especially close up) and I had thoughts of modelling her "as is" but in the end I thought it best to do an "as new" build as that would be a better tribute to the crews who manned her and her sisters.

Dave

Edited by davecov
Corrected mistake.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, davecov said:

Inspired by your build, Jon, I bought the Ark Models Lightship and the Atlantic Models PE.

I’m pleased my build has inspired you. It was fairly easy with only a few warped parts. These were easy enough to straighten with hot water, the worst part was the anchor chain, I should have really made the effort to use metal chain. The Atlantic Models PE is excellent and well worth getting. The only real challenge was removing the mould lines on the light lens and then polishing it, took a while but got there in the end.
I hope you enjoy the build.

Jon

Fantastic build of a very old kit, I do love these lightships,  there are a couple close to me, the first is at the National Waterfront Museum of Wales in Swansea Marina, they have the former Bristol Channel Helwick Sandbanks lightship: 

http://www.swanseamuseum.co.uk/visit-swansea-museum/boats-and-ships-on-display

And closer to home tied up at a private wharf on the river Neath, but much more difficult to see and all too sadly neglected we have the former Normandy veteran LV72, she was the lightship marking passage off Juno beach in Normandy from mid June '44:

https://friendsoflv72.wixsite.com/lv72

• Like 2

I recall the build but missed this first time around so I'm pleased to catch it this time. Really nice & as already said, super weathering, well reflecting the battle between coats of paint & the insidious march of rust on steel. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, davecov said:

@Faraway, I hope to, Jon, although I am not sure when that will be as I have other builds waiting to be dealt with first.

Dave

I’ll keep my eyes open.

Jon

• Like 1