A7V Hedi. Project closed.

Orso

hedi_00.JPG

I bought a resin kit of Hedi.

hedi_01.JPG 
It seemed Ok compared to pictures. It is clearly based on parts from Emhar's A7V kit wich suits me well.

hedi_02.JPG
I had seen that there were a couple of things that needed to be fixed. The doors should actually be flush with the hull sides and I could have let it pass but the hinges are placed incorrectly on one side of the body. I was impressed by the handles at the doors though.

hedi_03.JPG
However, I discovered that the "turrets" in the corners are too low and I felt that it was too much work to trying to fix that. It was time to bring out some plastic card.

hedi_04.JPG
Coming this far, everything felt wrong. Things do not fit together.

hedi_05.JPG
Only one thing to do. Tear it apart. New sides are made.

hedi_06.JPG
I didn't want to make new fronts so I had to splice in plastic instead. Now new roofs must be made.

hedi_07.JPG
The "guillotine" is a great help in cutting multiple parts for the grilles in the roof.

hedi_08.JPG 
But things still don't fit so everything is torn apart and new fronts has to be made anyway. Now nothing will remain of that first attempt of the build.
Time to tear apart the the other end and rebuild it.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 16

Impressive.

I have enough grief just sticking supplied parts together................

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

hedi_10.JPG
The kit is quite sad when you start to look at it more closely. The roof is sagging, it is generally poorly cast and requires a lot of putty, which means that the details would disappear if you go for it.

hedi_11.JPG
Therefore, I continue on my path.

hedi_12.JPG
My intension were to use the chassis from the kit but the wheels sat higher at one end so I started to wonder if I made a mistake in the construction of the body. It turned out that the chassis is banana-shaped.

hedi_13.JPG
The casting of the track unit is not nice

hedi_14.JPG
and it leans. So I need to find another Emhar kit. It will provide for a chassis and machine guns.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, echen said:

this kit looks like a bit of a nightmare...................

This statement sounds like a bit of an understatement. 

(Crack on mate. Great job you are making of this kit) 

• Like 1

hedi_15.JPG
This is probably the most frustrating thing that I ever tried to build. I finish something and it looks right but then you turn it and look at it from another angle and it look all wrong.

hedi_16.JPG
But it will never be correct. I just have the incorrect kit, a few pictures and a drawing that also has some faults as sources for the build.
First turret in the corners is in place.

• Like 7

hedi_17.JPG
It is funny that while it is a frustrating build it is a build without big problems. Only many small ones.

hedi_18.JPG
Second corner done. It has a different opening than the first.

• Like 6

hedi_19.JPG

While waiting for the new kit to arrive I redirect a chassis from one of the other five A7V's that I'm building to this one.

hedi_20.JPG

With all four corners ready I need to adapt the hull to the chassis to get the right height.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

hedi_21.JPG

This build has slowed down almost to a halt, I managed to get all openings done in the hull.

hedi_22.JPG

I put hatches in some of the openings. Time to start on details.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

hedi_23.JPG 
I have restarted on this.

hedi_24.JPG 
Most of the details has been done but I messed up with the front, the tow shackles and their covers should be placed more to the centre.

hedi_25.JPG 
I'll have to live with that. It is soon time to start adding rivets to it.

• Like 10

You may already know this, but there's quite a number of photos of this postwar A7V development online, as well as a lot of chat/speculation in various forums. Also, from what I read, the hull form isn't the same as the A7V, which may be one of the reasons that you're having problems with getting it to look right - it won't look like an A7V because it doesn't quite look like an A7V! 

Ignore me if you already know this. 

• Orso changed the title to A7V Hedi

hedi_26.JPG

hedi_27.JPG

Finally ready for a coat of gloss paint so that the rivet decals will stick.

hedi_28.JPG

hedi_29.JPG

This time I'll go for a lighter colour this time to make things easier. The last time I used a colour that was to dark so it was hard to see where the rivets were to be.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Just now, Orso said:

Have been working slowly on the rivets. One more side to do.

You must have great patience!

Nice tidy job on your A7. Great work.

• 2 weeks later...

hedi_35.JPG
Project closed, not finished.

hedi_36.JPG
The decals I bought doesn't even look something remotely close to the original: https://landships.activeboard.com/t64701690/a7v-hedi/
I could just as well used the kit that I started with. So I will not finish it. It goes down in a box until I figure out what to do (if I ever will)

• Like 2
  • Sad 2