First build in 30 years

Ok so here it is, first build since childhood and I’ve got to say you guys make it look easy! Lots of mistakes and lots of lessons learned, but I have to say I thorough enjoyed it, and the end result was encouraging enough for me try another.

mistakes:

decals in wrong place (walkways)

broken aerial 

scratched the surface-lots

blue tsk masking left residue

canopy painted freehand

Just now, Mulla said:

Ok so here it is, first build since childhood and I’ve got to say you guys make it look easy! Lots of mistakes and lots of lessons learned, but I have to say I thorough enjoyed it, and the end result was encouraging enough for me try another.

mistakes:

decals in wrong place (walkways)

broken aerial 

scratched the surface-lots

blue tsk masking left residue

canopy painted freehand

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 49

Definitely not bad at all. Particularly after all this time. I like the subject too. 

It's a great restart. 

One tip, use white tack instead of blu tack. It's less likely to leave a residue. 

38 minutes ago, Mulla said:

I’ve ordered some new paint and a few bits and bobs and will make a start in number 2 shortly.

One other mistake I made was scribing the panel lines!

i realized that 100% concentration is needed on every step! Even the smallest error is magnified... well 72 times

25 minutes ago, noelh said:

Definitely not bad at all. Particularly after all this time. I like the subject too. 

It's a great restart. 

One tip, use white tack instead of blu tack. It's less likely to leave a residue. 

White tak ey? It’s going on the shopping list... gunna need a bigger bench

Try not to pull yourself down ,you have been out of touch for so long ,things have moved on it is amazing how accurate you can build models now .With photo atched and resin add ons but i have built models since the mid 60s .Try not to get mixed up in trying to build some of the masterpieces you will see on this site and in magazines. These people have built models for a long time and have large wallets ,you can spend many times more than you paid for the kit to get an exact replica .Just do as i do and a lot of other fellow modellers, build it enjoy it and you will soon find piece of mind ,when your next kit is on the work bench .I still brush paint after over 50 years of modelling, so don't get  in a hurry for an airbrush ,but thats your choice, sorry i have gone on just enjoy it as you did as a kid ,good luck and look forward to your next model.

• Like 4

Clearly identifiable as a Hurricane, no doubt about that, and quite a presentable one at that! Not bad after a 30 year hiatus.

The key, I think, is to just 'build on'. It's easy to get bogged down and  ultimately stuck in research, planning, dry fitting, looking for accessories and so on, ad infinitum. Ask me how I know… 😉

Good job!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3

thanks everyone for taking the time. At this stage I am REALLY not trying to get anything historically accurate.   just want to enjoy the process at the moment and end up with something that might not look too silly shoved up on a book shelf somewhere. I always had something to do with my hands, but we've just moved back to Europe and are in a rented house at the minute, so there are none of those little jobs to keep me busy...  unless you count drinking scotch and smoking tabs.  I'll have a crack at another 72nd scale and see where we get.

thanks again

• Like 2

Good restart Mulla!   After a long absence from the hobby, that ain't bad at all. 👍  Congratulations on finishing her and posting here! :clap2:  You've received some great advice already so I'll only offer this; it might be easier getting your "sealegs" by building a 1/48 scale model.    A larger palette on which to experiment and try new techniques might be nice.   It's worth a try at this point I reckon.   

1 hour ago, Mulla said:

thanks everyone for taking the time. At this stage I am REALLY not trying to get anything historically accurate.   just want to enjoy the process at the moment and end up with something that might not look too silly shoved up on a book shelf somewhere. I always had something to do with my hands, but we've just moved back to Europe and are in a rented house at the minute, so there are none of those little jobs to keep me busy...  unless you count drinking scotch and smoking tabs.  I'll have a crack at another 72nd scale and see where we get.

thanks again

Just checked it seems you're in my neck of the woods. I'm in the west of Ireland. Just moved house too. I've a million jobs which are getting in the way of modelling. 

I do hope you're not drinking whisky but whiskey. 🧋

Thanks Gary, i was thinking of a 1:48, I just went for the little fellas because they were cheap, and if i thought "this is not for me" then no harm done. but I see your point and it makes sense..  I fancied having a go at a harrier; any recommendations in 48th scale?

And Noelh, it was always whisky, but I hate to admit it but since moving out here i'm developing a taste for the stuff with the extra "E" , goes down really easy...  too easy!

• Like 1

Welcome back!

All I can say is that's a great Hurricane and a great return to modelling

Enjoy yourself, have fun and take yourself back to the great times you remember when you first squeezed some glue, whacked on some paint and slid those crazy waterslide decals into place

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:07 AM, Mulla said:

And Noelh, it was always whisky, but I hate to admit it but since moving out here i'm developing a taste for the stuff with the extra "E" , goes down really easy...  too easy!

Doesn't it? So much smoother. Aged in bourbon casks imported from the USA. 

Good job. As someone who recently completed their first kit in 20 years I can empathise with you. The comments from others on here after I posted my ready for inspection thread have really spurred me on. 

I would endorse trying a 1/48 scale kit. I'd try to get as modern a tooling as possible and look at YouTube or online reviews before purchasing to get a feel for the kit. 

YouTube build videos and tutorial videos are also great sources of help for learning and expanding your skills. 

Great job! I'm of the belief that as long as you find your hobby enjoyable that's what really matters. Can't wait to see your next one!

• Like 1

Very good and to a much higher standard than my 30 year break first (second and third) attempt (s). 

I'm in awe of the precision, artistic flare and capacity for geekiness of many on here but that's many years of experience and a few binned kits showing. 

Thinking a newbie WIP thread might be a good idea when I start my next kit and get people to point out where I can improve as I go. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Outstanding first build in 30 years. :clap2:

My first build after returning included all of those issues plus a few of my own--including a skewed horizontal stabilizer. :whistle: