Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A15 Crusader Mk.III 9th Queen's Lancers, 1st Armoured Division. El Alamein 1942.

 

pTgubkP.jpg

 

I have to say I have been very impressed by my first Border Models kit. The detail and fit of parts were excellent. Accuracy wise I can't really comment as I don't have any plans to check it against but to my eyes it looks right. Maybe the weld beads on the turret are a little prominent but that's about it. Most of my references show vehicles with the earlier sand shields that have two continuous ridges instead of the three broken ones as provided in the kit but as I don't have a photo of this particular tank I don't know which ones are correct. 

There is really no need for after market so I feel that the kit is good value for money. Hopefully there is enough interest in the kit to encourage Border to release a few different versions.

 

GKHylnf.jpg

 

0mvk876.jpg

 

The model has been painted with MRP paints and weathered with various paints, pigments and oils. A full work in progress can be found HERE.

 

rDukyT5.jpg

 

TnmKer8.jpg

 

ZWdh43l.jpg

 

 

 

dEtburR.jpg

 

sd91dVj.jpg

 

ox5jUSy.jpg

 

jEiLQNO.jpg

 

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the way this one has turned out. There are always a few areas that can be approved upon but as usual I didn't spot them until I had done the photography. At some point in the future I intend to build a base and will add some stowage.

 

Wayne 

 

 

  • Like 43
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Crusader looks superb Wayne, you absolutely nailed the paintwork. about £36 from China on ebay.....so tempting. :hmmm:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I turned out absolutely fantastic Wayne! I'll know where to look at when I start mine :)

 

I am noticing something interesting regarding MRP light stone. The one I used so far (quite old bottle so probably an early batch) of MRP light stone was much paler, almost beige. However, the new one that I ordered recently is much yellower, similar to what I see on this build. It seems that they changed their light stone version a bit, which is great, because now it looks much more like Mike Starmer chips.

 

Cheers,

Nenad

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice.  I would love one of these but I feel that my meagre modelling schools don't justify the high price tag.

 

Need to work through some more cheaper models and try to improve my skills first.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad that you've done this one Wayne, as it's given me the interest to get hold of one......after I've done the two Italeri ones that I have. You've done a fine job on this. The cammo and the weathering are excellent. Nice work.

One question. How do you do the lines around each photo? I like the way that it neatens up the photo.

 

John.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all very much for the positive feedback, it's very much appreciated.

 

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm glad that you've done this one Wayne, as it's given me the interest to get hold of one......after I've done the two Italeri ones that I have. You've done a fine job on this. The cammo and the weathering are excellent. Nice work.

One question. How do you do the lines around each photo? I like the way that it neatens up the photo.

 

John.

Thanks John,

I'm still working on my Italeri one, its still a great kit but there is a fair amount of work and addons needed to bring it up to the level of the Border kit.

The lines are borders that I add in Lightroom when I process the images.  

 

7 hours ago, nheather said:

Nice.  I would love one of these but I feel that my meagre modelling schools don't justify the high price tag.

 

Need to work through some more cheaper models and try to improve my skills first.

 

It does seem a little expensive in the UK but there is no real need for aftermarket parts.

 

8 hours ago, Homer said:

Beautiful model well done 👏

 

8 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

I turned out absolutely fantastic Wayne! I'll know where to look at when I start mine :)

 

I am noticing something interesting regarding MRP light stone. The one I used so far (quite old bottle so probably an early batch) of MRP light stone was much paler, almost beige. However, the new one that I ordered recently is much yellower, similar to what I see on this build. It seems that they changed their light stone version a bit, which is great, because now it looks much more like Mike Starmer chips.

 

Cheers,

Nenad

 

Thanks Nenad.

Mine is the original glass bottled MRP and it matches perfectly with my Mike Starmer swatch which was why I was a little surprised when you mentioned that the shade was out in your Sherman builds. I wonder if you just got a bad one.

I'm not entirely sure that I have got the colour balance right in the photos above as I'm still having to use my glasses which have a warm tint. I'm trusting that the software got it right. The actual model does match the colour swatch though.

 

11 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Excellent work Wayne. Love the subtlety of the weathering and the camo scheme is spot on. 👏👍

 

17 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Your Crusader looks superb Wayne, you absolutely nailed the paintwork. about £36 from China on ebay.....so tempting. :hmmm:

 

Thanks Bob, that's where I got mine from and I think it's good value for that and it arrived within a couple of weeks.

 

19 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Beautiful work, Wayne, it looks an absolute corker!👍

 

Ed

 

20 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Really nice, and sharp photography too.

 

 

Wayne

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a cracker, looks very deserty! It certainly looks a step up from the old Italeri kit.

 

Pete

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great model and photo's. As mentioned before much crisper that the italeri one.

Cheers,

Ernst.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned by others, above, that really is a very impressive Crusader! Awesome modelling and finishing! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. That looks terrific.

 

But those tracks! Heresy I know, but I prefer decent rubber bands/Dragon DS, which I think could be just as effective here and would preserve my sanity. Puts me off the kit, to be honest. Guess I'm too well ensconced in my Tamiya comfort zone! 

 

Anyway, it's a superb build and great to see some more British armour. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Wayne,

That's a corker! Beautifully photographed too. I know it was a pretty naff tank, but I do love the look of them.

 

My father and I were both in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (T.A) although not at the same time, so I know a tad about the history of Crusaders.  During WWII The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry were equipped with various tanks including Crusaders and fought in the middle-east against French Vichy forces in Syria. Later they saw action in North Africa during the SECOND battle of El Alamein, leading the breakout of the 2nd New Zealand Division, After the war the RWY adopted the New Zealand fern leaf pattern for their vehicle markings. 

David Shepherd, famed for his wildlife paintings, painted 'Crusaders at dawn' in commemoration of their feats. My father received a signed copy when he retired.  It's a very atmospheric painting.

 

Rearguards,

Badder

 

PS.  Just searched for the painting on the net, and it's called ''El Alamein, 2nd Nov 1942''. But when I was a kid I saw Shepherd's signature at the bottom and he'd written 'Crusaders at dawn' underneath.

 

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2021 at 20:59, Buzby061 said:

That's a cracker, looks very deserty! It certainly looks a step up from the old Italeri kit.

 

Pete

 

On 01/05/2021 at 07:35, Ernst said:

Great model and photo's. As mentioned before much crisper that the italeri one.

Cheers,

Ernst.

 

On 02/05/2021 at 17:14, PlaStix said:

As mentioned by others, above, that really is a very impressive Crusader! Awesome modelling and finishing! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

 

On 02/05/2021 at 17:34, IanC said:

Wow. That looks terrific.

 

But those tracks! Heresy I know, but I prefer decent rubber bands/Dragon DS, which I think could be just as effective here and would preserve my sanity. Puts me off the kit, to be honest. Guess I'm too well ensconced in my Tamiya comfort zone! 

 

Anyway, it's a superb build and great to see some more British armour. 

 

Many thanks for the positive feed back. :D

It is definitely an improvement over the Italeri which considering its age isn't a bad kit, it's just that the additional cost and work to upgrade it makes the Border kit a much better option. 

I wouldn't be put off by the tracks either, once you get into them they don't take much longer to put together than any other track. The detail is crisper than the Friuls and if using the sand shields you don't need the complete run of track.

 

Wayne

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice result indeed there Wayne 👍🏻. Dust effect is spot on and the camo scheme is suitably blended. Very nice result all round and this one is on my list 😉

 

Andrew

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2021 at 18:23, Badder said:

Hi Wayne,

That's a corker! Beautifully photographed too. I know it was a pretty naff tank, but I do love the look of them.

 

My father and I were both in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (T.A) although not at the same time, so I know a tad about the history of Crusaders.  During WWII The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry were equipped with various tanks including Crusaders and fought in the middle-east against French Vichy forces in Syria. Later they saw action in North Africa during the SECOND battle of El Alamein, leading the breakout of the 2nd New Zealand Division, After the war the RWY adopted the New Zealand fern leaf pattern for their vehicle markings. 

David Shepherd, famed for his wildlife paintings, painted 'Crusaders at dawn' in commemoration of their feats. My father received a signed copy when he retired.  It's a very atmospheric painting.

 

Rearguards,

Badder

 

PS.  Just searched for the painting on the net, and it's called ''El Alamein, 2nd Nov 1942''. But when I was a kid I saw Shepherd's signature at the bottom and he'd written 'Crusaders at dawn' underneath.

 

 

Many thanks for the compliments and information Badder,

I checked out the painting, you're right it has a fantastic atmosphere about it, your father must have been very proud to have received it.

 

Wayne. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, APA said:

Very nice result indeed there

Thanks Andrew,

It's a really nice kit with lots of potential. I hope they decide to produce some other variants.

 

Wayne

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...