Hello,Friends - I apologise for re-posting this build.I’ve familiarised myself with the image sizing and posting,etc.for better viewing.

This model is the first 1/32 scale model I’ve built so it was a steep learning curve in many respects.

She carries two ‘Sea Eagle’ Anti-Shipping Missiles and wears ‘DXM’Decals. 
 I hope you enjoy viewing.

Thank You.

afb3f501-a9b3-4c1d-a2da-1a6c8ff0d5be.jpe

53174730-32f9-4616-be86-4e68e87022b7.jpe

90cc89a9-c9c5-4231-a8aa-64be2ccded34.jpe
8b0c5bb4-3589-42d5-830d-f0824d459358.jpe
9a898522-d74e-4dcf-8d34-25e921d708f5.jpe
e0aa4246-ab5a-4894-8b3d-7c010a758688.jpe
ed916050-c7dd-4cf2-96c5-d34843a610e3.jpe
0ec2356f-f450-454c-8ba6-7bf626571af5.jpe
284f0641-1114-4d38-9c3a-a2cef231886d.jpe
c54579c3-3a24-422d-94cf-edd4075a2a90.jpe
029384bd-3cf2-4734-8dcc-fc3434b94104.jpe
5821e5c8-a73f-41fe-97bf-f0187502b0f2.jpe
f71fb278-0e32-46ab-a834-c7f4de8bb40c.jpe

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jenko said:

Phantastic, 

Boy does that look big.

Dick

Thank you,Jenko - It is a big model.The other Phantom is 1/48 scale as a size comparison.The Sea Eagle Missiles measure 5” in length.

Very nice!  The Japanese Phantoms definitely had some nice looking camo schemes. And most pictures show the jets were kept exceptionally clean for a Phantom. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gidge said:

Magnificent! Where did you get the spook figure? 

Thank you,Gidge - ‘Mr.Spook’ is a resin kit by Aerobonus which I bought at Scale Modelworld Exhibition at Telford.The figure didn’t include a base so I made one from plasticard sheet.😉👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jenko said:

Phantastic, 

Boy does that look big.

Dick

12 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello and thank you, jenko - Yes,she’s a big model.The 1/48 scale Phantom alongside gives a good size comparison.The ‘Sea Eagle’ Missiles measure 5 inches in length.😉👍

7 hours ago, Mark V said:

Very nice!  The Japanese Phantoms definitely had some nice looking camo schemes. And most pictures show the jets were kept exceptionally clean for a Phantom. 

Hello,Mark V - I totally agree with you.The JASDF aren’t frightened of using the colour palette and particularly in the case of anniversary schemes.😉👍

3 hours ago, Parabat said:

That's a great build, often seen pics of these colourful Japanese Phantoms but very few modelled. Looks great and what a beast next to the 1/48 Phantom.

Thank you,Parabat - She’s a big beastie for sure.My current build is the 1/32 scale  Revell ‘F-4F’  in the NORM72 scheme.😉👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parabat said:

That's a great build, often seen pics of these colourful Japanese Phantoms but very few modelled. Looks great and what a beast next to the 1/48 Phantom.

I've been eying Zoukei Mura's Limited F-4EJ Kai in retirement markings as a contender for my next project.  

The green digital camo scheme also looks cool but challenging to pull off

• Like 1

20 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice!!

Never thought.of a Japanese Phantom folding wings... was that possible?

Hello and thank you, exdraken - Yes,they had foldable outer wings.The kit itself did not include this option but the outer wing sections were totally separate parts from the main wings and both had adequate internal detail so I made my own ‘hinge’ system from paper staples.I drilled two fine holes next to the ‘hinge bracket’ detail in the main wing inner section and two more in corresponding positions in the outer wing sections.The staples were simply cut into an ‘L’ shape and fixed into the main wing.The outer wing was then lowered onto the upturned part of the staple and once satisfied with their positioning I tacked them in place with superglue.A simple and cheap method.😉👍

0e786022-005a-4789-8c8f-c509642bad8e.jpe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Miko said:

That's a might impressive bird! I wonder where you have room to keep it? Do you have a 1/32 hangar in the yard? Ha!

I'm kinda curious which blues you used for JASDF sea camo? I have a Mitsubishi F2a in the stash with that paint job?

Miko (who hasn't built an F-4 since 1/72 Matchbox 111sqn FGR2 back in the late eighties)

Hello and thank you,Miko.Yes,my friend, a big beastie!The hangar would be very useful!?!😂

The ‘Mr.Color’ Sea Camouflage Set is the order of the day.The boxed set includes three bottles.Shallow Sea,Deep Sea and Radome Grey.These are the specific colours you need.The paints are acrylic lacquers but a joy to work with.I thinned them approximately 50:50 with ‘Mr.Hobby’ Levelling Thinner and they spray beautifully.The biggest bonus was their very rapid drying time which was literally minutes which greatly helped in the handling of the model during that stage.The only downside is the strong smell from this type of paint but that clears very quickly.Some modellers mix their own colours to match these shades but I think that’s quite a complicated procedure to achieve decent accuracy.😉👍

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, Gidge said:

I've been eying Zoukei Mura's Limited F-4EJ Kai in retirement markings as a contender for my next project.  

The green digital camo scheme also looks cool but challenging to pull off

Hello and thank you,Gidge.I have that ‘ZM’ kit on order.A beautiful scheme indeed.The ‘digital’ scheme is certainly different and ‘DXM’ Decals do full sheets for this.Whether you use the decal or mask and paint method it’s definitely a labour of love without a doubt.Good luck with whichever you choose.😉👍

On 29/04/2021 at 04:23, exdraken said:

Nice!!

Never thought.of a Japanese Phantom folding wings... was that possible?

Evidently yes. Almost certainly built with reference spec panelling and exterior structure to avoid spending money on redesigning and testing. Also means they have commonality of parts  with the many air forces around the world using phantoms so they can source spares from allies or on sell spares. Countries like Greece and Turkey still run Phantoms and no doubt will need parts.

I'm guessing they weren't built with the hydraulics to save weight and had extra reinforcing but could be manually folded by ground crew for transport and storage. There may also be ease of maintenance advantages being about to fold and/or remove wing extensions.

phantom-komatsu-display-1024x768.jpg

• Like 2

Love that scheme.  I really wanted a 1/72 FM F-4EJ in the Sea Scheme but they seemed to sellout in about 17 minutes.

Great job.

• Like 1

Breathtaking build.

The F-4 got a lot of great looking camo schemes during her long, very long career and this one of the phinest !:clap2:

:partytime:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Love that scheme.  I really wanted a 1/72 FM F-4EJ in the Sea Scheme but they seemed to sellout in about 17 minutes.

Great job.

Hello and thank you,Ad-4N.The Sea Camouflage is a pleasing change to the more ‘usual’ ones we see and makes for an interesting comparison.I hope you manage to find the model you desire.😉👍

On 5/7/2021 at 5:17 AM, 72modeler said:

Phabulous! The sea scheme was made for the F-4! Beautifully built and finished, too. Well done. Hai!

Mike

Hello and thank you so much,Mike.There were many ‘firsts’ for me with this build.First 1/32 scale kit; First use of ‘White-Tak’ masking method;First use of ‘Mr.Hobby’ Acrylic Lacquer Paints.The extremely rapid-drying of these paints was a godsend in assisting the handling of the model during that stage.😉👍