92 Sqn Phantom FGR.2 XV413 Zaps

Fatcawthorne

3 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

The markings themselves are the correct proportions for 19 its just that the one colour is off - Black instead of Blue.  43 Squadrons checks are 2:4 :-

spacer.png

Whereas 19 Squadrons checks are 2:3 :-

spacer.png

I know that the Lightnings of 19 Squadron had Roundel Blue in the markings but even this appeared slightly lighter as the Blue had been sprayed on top of a White rectangle.  The first true 19 Squadron markings for the Phantom came in during the practice sessions, freshly painted up but with only the checks on the fuselage and the fin badge - no code :-

I have never noticed the Fighter Squadrons having differing numbers of checks in the markings.

Definitely looks black and white checks to me, much as it is wrong in every way.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, PLC1966 said:

What about the Helmet checks on the Growbags ?  Yellow/Blue ? Would normally associate that with 54Sqn.

Look like 31 Squadron checks on the helmets...

Edited by TEZ

1 minute ago, TEZ said:

Look like 31 Squadron cheques on the helmets...

I did wonder about a brown stars crew as they had more recently moved off of Phantoms but I am not sure the cheques are green and gold as I would expect.

17 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

I did wonder about a brown stars crew as they had more recently moved off of Phantoms but I am not sure the cheques are green and gold as I would expect.

You’re probably right, here’s a couple of photos showing 31 squadron helmet markings...

sZQEAK3.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TEZ said:

You’re probably right, here’s a couple of photos showing 31 squadron helmet markings...

I do like the photos Tez, got any more like them ?

On 5/5/2021 at 10:39 AM, TEZ said:

ou’re probably right, here’s a couple of photos showing 31 squadron helmet markings...

sZQEAK3.jpg

Love this pic TEZ, may I use it in my 1/32 British Phantom build/conversion WIP here?  This really illustrates the lower nose profile from the NLG door to the tip of the radome and how Tamiya got it very wrong.  Full credit to you of course.

Anyway sorry for the thread drift, I am really enjoying whats coming up here!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great thread!

Similar to you I've got this exact kit and bought the decal set.

Its been on my shelf painted for about a year.

I'd had a go at another set of markings but ruined a couple of decals - got annoyed and put it on the shelf.

I'm going to put XV413 now.