Mitches Military Models Nigel Ward CDR 801 NAS - 1/9th 'Mr Sea Harrier'

Over the last month, i have been working away on this excellent bust from Mitches Military Models of Commander 801 Naval Air Squadron Nigel 'Sharkey' Ward, Falklands war 1982;

51009647051_f201621455.jpg

Expertly sculpted by 'Offo' .Its a 1/9th scale resin item and comes in 5 pieces;

51008943053_c76c5f1dd5_w.jpg

51009750112_0d17bb44b7_w.jpg

51009650306_3153f33ac0_w.jpg

Together and primed;

51080695343_511fac20e3_z.jpg

The bust is very nice and just begs to be painted, the only additions i added were the comms cord from the face mask to the left side ear jack and the most complicated bit the face mask clip. This was made from fuse wire and milliput. the retaing bungie cords were also made from twisted fuse wire;

51116850514_cd2b4e4ea0.jpg

51117097586_a666780a8a.jpg

I had the notion of putting a Harrier on the front of the plinth, so found this old 1/144 Revell kit on ebay;

51081483277_51c69279eb.jpg

And cut the fusuleage just behind the wings;

51133144431_298b26c314_o.jpg

Bust completed, just waiting for the plinth and a DFC AFC medal to arrive;

51130437432_76cd54ff4f_o.jpg

51131112561_41672f48dd_o.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, brodiebear said:

Or Not;

Since you asked, personally, I'd say Not. It's a distraction away from a fantastic bust and I feel it spoils the lines of the plinth.

But, as they say, your model, your rules, so if you prefer with, that's fine 🙂

10 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Since you asked, personally, I'd say Not. It's a distraction away from a fantastic bust and I feel it spoils the lines of the plinth.

But, as they say, your model, your rules, so if you prefer with, that's fine 🙂

Thanks,

No I agree with you, looked okay in my head, but actually now I don't like it.

• Like 1

You have done a great job on the bust. I think on balance you want the focus there and thereafter on the plaque. The SHAR takes the attention away from the work on the bust IMHO 

As Dave says it’s your call though and it’s not a case of right/wrong but of personal preference 

How about fixing the Sea Harrier just above the bust, with an acrylic rod exiting the back of the aircraft then forming a right-angle to end in a base situated behind the bottom of the plinth?

That way the eye will follow naturally down from the SH, to the bust and then the nameplate -- and this would provide the option to use/not use the SH as the inclination takes you.

What a guy! And what a fabulous piece of work this is. 

I'd have had the Harrier coming in over his left shoulder. But hey, My attempt wouldn't be a patch on yours!

24 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

What a guy! And what a fabulous piece of work this is. 

I'd have had the Harrier coming in over his left shoulder. But hey, My attempt wouldn't be a patch on yours!

Now thats an idea. See if i can get another kit, or move this one up to the corner and have it shooting over from there

I think you can use what you have. Mount it on a 'stick' support and have it going vertical from behind his left shoulder.

You'll only need to expose the front fuselage and half the wings, so the lack of the back end won't matter.