Moving day is here.........

2TRist.jpg

I'll post again from the other side.  Muhaha

RichO

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for the best wishes.  

Hey All,

The move went well and I am now on the other side.  I have established a temporary build station, and have noted the travel damage.

The only thing that got damaged was the tail hook.

OZfknx.jpg

Easily repaired.

The temporary setup.........

xdWJCg.jpg

And the new model stash room.  Just a closet.......

kisGwy.jpg

This makes my stash look really small.  I'll have to work on that.

I'll be back in between un-boxing the house.

Thanks all for the wait.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly starting again while getting the house in order.

I have worked only a little this week or so.   I did do the fuel injector lines on the engine....

atrIT9.jpg

I also finally started with the wheel hubs and steering,

FUbu2q.jpg

this was a tricky piece to get a grip on the geometry, and I may have to trim this a bit to fit properly.

e3fY5t.jpg

This lives about here or so...........

lFaPBF.jpg

The house has a million things to work on, so only an hour or so of work here, in the evenings for now.

I believe that this steering arm is the hardest thing to build for the rest of the suspension system. We'll see.  I have four of these to build.  which means that I'll cast this for the set.

Gettin' back into the build again.  Thanks All.

• Like 10

Hey All,

The build continues, but at a reduces rate lately, but steady. A couple of hours a night.  I have built the components for the rest of the suspension system.  These are some of the craziest shapes I think I have ever built.

Hs3CCi.jpg

JomdXu.jpg

N5GePN.jpg

472yfJ.jpg

I now have to make copies of these for each wheel.  I'll be back with molds and casts next.

A brief posting for now, more later. Thanks All.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

the build continues.  A small post this week again.

I have started with the casting of the suspension parts.

The molds are set.........

WnotdC.jpg

the pours have started........

FeWlKR.jpg

and the parts are being cast...........

fQnFMF.jpg

it's all going slow but getting done.  I will soon have all the parts to wrap up the suspension system and get the wheels mounted.

I'll be back with more parts, Thanks All. till next time.........

• Like 6

Hey All,

A small post for today.

I have the casting finished and have cleaned up the parts for install.

These are some of the parts needed for the suspension system.

IJrEmj.jpg

very thin flashing on my parts, but easily cleaned. 

Wheels........

XNroCk.jpg

I have parts for each wheel set for install.

WgUpzB.jpg

I now need to get these together and installed for the wrap up of the suspension system.

Next time All...........

• Like 8

Hey Guys,

Work continues with the suspension system.  Boring repetitive building.  These are the shock absorber anchor posts.

nRhudT.jpg

Closeup test fitting the rear wheel hub....

37gkbH.jpg

everything fits good........

WKWpVn.jpg

You can see how the shock anchors mount on the side of the frame....

HzCYG6.jpg

Cup cakes are finally filled with the rear wheel hubs and ready to mount.....

s9JEwM.jpg

These got to be a pain in the wheel to mount.  Once I had everything to this point was fine, but when I swing up the hub, I had very small amount of room to pin this together.

ICIqrG.jpg

Tight work, but everything fits and is ready for tires.

jiD9Lt.jpg

You can see how I just slip the tires onto the rear wheel hubs.

UzDjGf.jpg

Back tires mounted, test fitting feels good........

zIx284.jpg

I still have some work to do for the front mountings.  The front hub assembly is a bit more complex due to steering elements.  

I'll be back a bit later this time with the next update.  I have power contractors coming to re-wire the house for the next 4-5 days or so.

I'll keep working when I can, post when I can soon.  Thanks all.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I'm on the other side of the home improvements, and now in the twenty first century.  I managed to finish with the suspension system, with wheels.  A big achievement for this build.

more steering parts............

R7yoKF.jpg

I got everything mounted and in place.

ubzmYK.jpg

This is a big milestone with this build,  Up on all eights.

cjhi8L.jpg

FaTDh3.jpg

That's it for the suspension.  I have plumbing to the wheel hubs to finish, but all done.

Now back to the engine build.

Thanks all for watching.

• Like 7

Hey Guys,

a quick post today.  I have constructed the linkage for the steering, and built the main hydraulic pumps to put on the breaks.

steer linkage......

GnyHsj.jpg

p6juC4.jpg

These are the hydraulic pumps.  These live outside the frame between the suspension components.  I used a heavy duty plastic striped straw to make the main body parts.

Ix2Yyp.jpg

Most of this lives under the engine, along with an amount of plumbing that is just stupid for the size of spot it is to fit into.

Acv4Ht.jpg

All this needs to be mounted into place and all the plumbing in this spot needs to be in place to get the engine into it's proper place

I'll be back, with filling the space.  

Thanks All

• Like 6

Saw some lovely Maz reference shots on Facebook the other day, but I can’t find them on the web to link them.  I am sure you have plenty though Rich.  You couldn’t get the level of detail you have without good references.

• Like 1

Hey Bar,

This project is a bit different for me.  I usually start collecting references for a build while I am building whatever my current project. ( I'm currently, all in, collecting my references right now for the next build).  I had just about finished with the Frog-7 build when I saw this subject for the first time.  I did not have the usual amount time collecting references, I just wanted to build this!!!

So this is what happened, I started building with not enough references at first, and, as you know, had to start over with the build.  After working with this for a while now, I have collected a ton of close up reference material.

I'm getting really excited about this build now. I have just about finished with the nuts and bolts of the frame and components, (things I have built a hundred times), and just about ready to start the build proper.  The body work and crane components are something I have not built before, so I'm getting a nice lather worked up to start with all that.

And if anybody is really interested, the next build I'm collecting for is a giant, Komatsu 830 E, One of the largest earth mover vehicles ever built.

It's raining hard this morning, so no outside work today.  I might as well go build something in the model room.

Next time All.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, RichO said:

And if anybody is really interested, the next build I'm collecting for is a giant, Komatsu 830 E, One of the largest earth mover vehicles ever built.

You can put me down for a front row seat! I'll watch any of your builds. I'm still very happy with this one for now though.

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich - well - why not start another huge project? I'm already looking forward to it!  I particularly like the steering knuckles you made - very interesting to see.  I'm cooking up another project and am thinking about that very subject, so this seeing how you handled it is very helpful to see.  Really like the hydraulic pumps too - nice!

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1