Crane Jane and Maz Boy

Hey All,

I have finished building the four Differentials and the two central Gearbox's, and I have connected everything together.  

I had to also make little connectors that stabilize and secure the Differentials to the frame.

These are the two central gearbox's.........

GO7x3h.jpg

The stable connectors..........

YKOJHy.jpg

The four Differentials........

eCutgH.jpg

And they all live about here.........

L7rbtj.jpg

Getting everything together and a new test fitting.....

4Bh4vq.jpg

Everything painted and temp. placed.  I have a bit of plumbing to do, so nothing secured.

Aft connections.......

xoMlyA.jpg

Bow connections........

zngmlf.jpg

This is one big long frame.......

21dEeN.jpg

I now have several different options.  Continue with the Drive Train, with Tranny, and Engine, or start the Suspension system, or plumbing or.............

I believe I will punch the drive shafts through the frame wall, and locate the start of the Suspension System.

Until next time All.............Thanks

• Like 9

Hey All, 

I spent this week building the Torsion Bar Anchors for the suspension system, along with a few other items.    This is where I left off with the first build.

The previous photo references I was using did not show a clear view of the total anchor, and I guessed at what It should look like.

ER1iRd.jpg

The old, not quite right. 

The new and improved torsion Bar Anchors.  These took all week to build.....

vCXjoo.jpg

Placed along the rail frame.........

H6jOaB.jpg

fWq5Mp.jpg

These all look like they are level enough to move on to the next part of the suspension system......

WKvQtK.jpg

I also built the Tail Hook Anchor, and hook, and install.....

vshoCD.jpg

zb7ZXY.jpg

mhH1WY.jpg

durnbM.jpg

I also have a bit of plumbing started.  The other ends of the lube lines will be attached much later in the build.

WAoeQe.jpg

A busy build week this week.  All a lot of fun.  

I have started building the next phase of the suspension system.  I hope to have something to show next week.  Packing for the move is coming closer.

Thanks All for watching.........

• Like 8

What can I say Rich...superlatives just don't suffice.

I know of maybe five people who can scratch and weather to this standard...actually...what I should have said was...four others besides yourself.

Respect

Ron

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

Another great update.  I admire your ability to make several parts from scratch repeatedly, while retaining the same quality, shapes/proportion, and level of detail on each one.  Really remarkable.  Your color and trextures just add to the build - great work.

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great comments everyone, and for watching the build.

I got a few more things finished inside the frame, but I'm seriously procrastinating with the suspension work.

I did manage to get parts cut for outside of the rail.  At this point tho, it is just a pile of parts.......

vF0kWC.jpg

I also finished building the main Transfer Case..........

HXVAbA.jpg

I managed to also build the connecting Drive Shafts and get everything installed.

This was a relatively easy process after painting, and while I was starting the weathering........

5L9rad.jpg

?????

2JkeOT.jpg

Well, that's just not right.

8I4TA5.jpg

I was looking at these photos with the wet weathering and was wondering if anyone else would notice the HUGE MISTAKE!  The drive shaft at the bottom of the photo is installed backwards and the Transfer Case is also installed sdrawkcab!!!

I use superglue by the gallons to build my models, so prying these off the frame was a bit fiddly, but it all worked out........

mYxLUg.jpg

'at's betta.

Ifsh0V.jpg

After that close call, It was off to built the air tanks and start with the plumbing for the brake system.

oAhk1D.jpg

w7faW7.jpg

hq59BT.jpg

The build is at this point tonight.  

I'll be back with, maybe some suspension done.  Later All.

• Like 9

More rusty art. Impressive stuff.

16 hours ago, RichO said:

I'll be back with, maybe some suspension done.

I'm not saying I'll hold my breath until then. But, I'm holding my breath as I know it will be good.

• Haha 1

Alright Then,

I managed to get some work done on the suspension system, in between boxing the house to move.

Not a lot of photos today, but some work done on all the crazy parts for this system.  The first was the anchors for the suspension.  These hold everything into place.

eLMhqV.jpg

These are attached to the frame around the opening that the drive shaft passes through.

QLdCFi.jpg

Everything looks to line up great.  On to the next step........

PJy941.jpg

This all line up just right, so on to the suspension away from the frame.........

l7EfUT.jpg

You can see the "A" arm to the right.  I have 16 of these to build.  For this build I need 32 copies of everything for both sides.

I still have packing to do, so next report will probably be small also, but it's getting worked on.

Until next time all...........

• Like 8

Hey All,

I have managed to get a little more done on the build.  I have painted the suspension system anchors, and have them bolted to the side of the frame.  Here you can see that all these anchor items still line up good enough.

eLu4Dv.jpg

I even succeeded in getting the torsion bars to avoid blocking the axel shaft passthroughs.  I feel better about everything matching now and the axel shafts should match the A arms and join at the hubs.

2WgBA4.jpg

I'd rather be boxing for a move than building all these A arm components, but I got through building these in just a week.

pDIDEq.jpg

32 of these.  16, top and bottom each side.  I now have to find some material to build the hubs to the wheel connections out of.  

I'm in for a time with the wheel hubs.  The four back hubs are all the same, just four copies.  The four front hubs are all different.  each of the hubs has a different steering component attached, so the hub is mirrored front to back and then mirrored to each side.  Fun times.

That's it for this week.  I'll keep building between packing.  Thanks All.

• Like 6

I continue to marvel at the volume and consistently high quality parts you are making - really something special!  getting all of the supports to even generally line up for the torsion bars is something else - and you nailed them!  wow - And 32 of the A arms - that match, even with the bends - again, wow!   Looking forward to more!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

A really busy week here.  I had to go to the new house to work a bit, the inspector wanted me to fix a few things.  A two hour drive there and two hours back.  About 115 km/70 miles or so.  Also, in between boxes, I got some good progress made with the build.

I did get the "A" arms built, but grudgingly.  The suspension system is so boring to work on with all the repeat patterns to deal with.  I also have some "pain in the butt" geometry for the back wheel hubs that I can't seem to get a grip on just yet.  More on that later.

BbFhmi.jpg

To break up the boredom, I started working more on the drive train.  The transmission and drive lines did the job.

7lWL8k.jpg

Biw2xb.jpg

We control the transmission........

tTFteQ.jpg

niSTcG.jpg

This, painted and installed........

UBtX5G.jpg

2xMPjo.jpg

The transmission has a ridiculous amount of plumbing to install, when attached to the engine.

Zcn7dD.jpg

I also built a large body support for the upper body panels.  Altho not installed, this what it looks like.....

X5S3g5.jpg

It lives about here........

i1qbzb.jpg

fP8vpV.jpg

The red lines with the blue fittings are not weathered in just yet, so they stand out a bit for now.

As of this evening I have started with the Engine build.  This is the far aft of the engine that connects to the transmission via another drive shaft..

Yd82mn.jpg

That's it for now.  I have no clue what this next week will bring for build time, or moving time.

Until next week All.............

• Like 9

Thanks Guys,

Hey Jeroen,  the bolt ends are ready made.  A combination of different manufactures.  I use "MasterClub resin bolts for the most part (grey).  When I can't get to the area to drill, I use ModelCom resin bolts.  MasterClub has the bolt shaft molded with the bolt head.  Drilling a hole for the shaft makes these resin bolts really super secure.  The ModelCom bolts (green) are just the bolt heads and I use these for areas that are to delicate to drill or I can't reach the area with the drill.

The resin bolts are the only thing pre manufactured (besides the general building materials). Everything else here is scratch built.  The pipe ends are a pain to build but look nice when painted in. These are all hand made.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

A short report tonight.  I have gotten some more work done on the build.  The postings are going to start stretching out here for a while.  My rental is stacked with boxes and the furniture is bare.  We are boxed up for the move and the paperwork should close in the next week or so.

Meanwhile, at the scale of this build, the engine is large.  I had a bit of a time finding something to build the engine block out of.  I found a thick card tube to use as the main build element, and attached everything to it.

1TbqGX.jpg

6YxC4t.jpg

Turning a round tube into an engine.......

I had another drive line to build.  Believe it or don't, I still have two more to build. This is #6, out of 8.

l6yV5N.jpg

I'm adding the details as I proceeded.............

pQSLPN.jpg

As of tonight I have the basic block ready for details..........

ozLfIk.jpg

I should get more hours to build with the house boxed up.  But still slow for now.

Until next time, sometime..............

• Like 8

Hey Guys,

A small report this fine evening.  

I have been working on the suspension system "A" arms, doing the final sizing for install.  Everything still lines up good, and, once again, I have multiples to finish for install.

FOFMyx.jpg

I also have the engine block painted and ready for install.

SSvUhs.jpg

Once the engine was painted, I now have to build and install all the separate items that are attached to the block.

83iuyc.jpg

I used some sprues to build the water intake manifolds.....

I also built a distributor, and the exhaust manifolds.

R0kYvE.jpg

aOEvs6.jpg

fONHXY.jpg

E9PilL.jpg

I don't always get to work on this for very long with all that's happening, but I manage to get a little done.

Until next time.....Thanks Guys.

• Like 9

Hey All,

A little more work done on this build before the move.

I am working all over on the build at the moment. Several things going on at once.  Plus some corrections. 

I erroneously reported on a couple of facts that are not true.  #1, I reported last posting that the inside piping from the heads were water intake manifolds.  Not true, these are in fact exhaust manifolds.  This is a twelve cylinder engine.  the exhaust is vented on each side of the heads and have three exhaust ports on each side.

#2, I rote that I had built 6 of 8 drive shafts from the engine.  This is also not true.  I found two more drive shafts from the engine, making ten different drive shafts in total from the engine.  BUT, that's not all, and this is a big but, like the lady in the third row of the church quire be havin'.  I have eight more drive shafts to build for the connections between the differentials and the wheel hubs.  So I have ten more drive shafts in total to still build. errr.

I worked some more on the suspension system, getting things painted and installed.  Once I had everything cleaned for install, the assembly went smoothly enough.

hdKRcF.jpg

iwyNEe.jpg

I also worked on the Valve covers..........

65XBny.jpg

these are painted and installed..........

d3mfDs.jpg

f3yy5z.jpg

All to get grimy, later on.

I also started the large Radiator, that sits right up front on this build........

jfFSs1.jpg

jxHf4p.jpg

rU8QLl.jpg

Fan shrouds.......

4lKJCF.jpg

05ntoI.jpg

0Jj3Ev.jpg

I'm actually building what I think I can finish while I have the build desk still available.

I might get to make one more posting before it all hits the fan for me.  Thanks All. 

Until next time..........

• Like 7