Crane Jane and Maz Boy

Thing is Rich...many of us forget that some...such as yourself...haven't been forced into believing that computers and so called 'smart' phones have to be part of our lives.

I was lucky...computers became part of everyday life in the print industry...which meant they became an everyday part of my life...simply because I had to accept them and work with them.

I admire your stand against such society dictated progress...and I am impressed that your life is much simpler for it.

Stick to your guns mate...and...if you ever need help resizing a batch of pics...let me know and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

This forum needs you to remain a part of it :)

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Thanks 1

So,

I just posted the progress with the build, with the photos at a much smaller size.  I just deleted the entire posting.  At the smaller size the photos looked like crap. Perhaps not such a small size next time.  The whole point of posting the builds is so you can see the detail.

I have made the frame connections and the frame is now in one piece. I also have the painting of the frame finished, ready to move on to the Drive Train.

g9pYNn.jpg

A lot of cross connections........

5FWdPq.jpg

b6N0L1.jpg

The painting of the frame.........

vN1vjY.jpg

qG98hg.jpg

I showed some guys at the model club.  50/50 love/hated it.  The rivet counters thought the color was to unrealistic.  The artists loved it.

I really wanted to go to town with the color on this build, and make it a bit different.

CUo7du.jpg

Xt63RO.jpg

I'm now ready to move on to the Drive Train.  Starting with the 4 Differentials.  

I'll be back.  

P.S.  This is the third time I have tried to post with new photos today.  I have had enough tech s. for today.  I'll try again later.

• Like 9

Ron, let me throw you guys a further curve ball.  I live in a rural setting in a 100 yr. old house that still has post and knob wiring.  I have a built in phone nook in the wall for a rotary phone land line, and the kitchen still has a small trash burner fire stove in it, for the garbage.  I know that the U.S. dose not have houses as old as in the  Europe region, but a hundred yr house in the U.S. is very old.  Really, I just don't need the modern world, I just happen to live here.

Enough about my modern inadequacies, it's something I live with every day.

Thanks.

• Like 4

Hi @RichO

I love that rust effect and really enjoy all of your posts. Please keep posting!

For what it’s worth I too really struggle with this strange modern tech and for very similar reasons to the ones you state. Last year, after being on BM for about 5 years I received an almost identical message from @Mike to the one he sent you earlier in this thread. Like you I had been merrily taking photos and posting them (thru imgur) at full size not realising that this places a lot more ‘workload’ on some computer somewhere than needed and required a lot more ‘zeros and ones’ to be passed through the internet than was really needed thereby slowing things down for people.

This was simply a case of  me not realising that almost every photo on the internet has had its file size reduced to aid its rapid transmission from place to place. I just didn’t know and why would I?

Anyway, I’m quite certain that Mike wasn’t upset with me and equally I’m certain that he’s not upset with you. It really was not intended to be a telling off. It’s just a bit of housekeeping on his part.

@JeroenS

Gave me the same advice he gave you and after a bit of faffing about I got the image resizer to work and now use it each time I post photos and have no further issues. Once you get the hang of it, It really is a good tool to use. 

Looking at the posts above it seems like you are experimenting with resizing -  keep going mate - it might be a PITA right now but you will crack it. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EveningRich.  I saw your post the other day saying you had started another build but only just found it.  I will take a chair & sit quietly in the corner if that’s ok 👍 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I’m quite certain that Mike wasn’t upset with me and equally I’m certain that he’s not upset with you.

Correct on both counts. I’m just trying to make the forum experience a smooth one for everyone :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike, The photos are at 600 x 800 at this time.  Please let me know if they need to be smaller.  Thanks Rich.

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Yes - the trappings of it all - sometimes quite a headache for me too!  But, I am glad this complex technology allows us to see work from all over the world - that we'd (or me anyway) wouldn't otherwise know existed, much less get to see WIP and all the nuts and bolts we model builders like to see - and sometimes marvel at!  😁  Such as what you are doing here!  Keep it coming.  I, by the way, like that you are using remarkable precision with the build, and adding color with expression beyond the "factory" color scheme.  I like the inherent tension in that.  I've got no idea how "correct" the color is or isn't,  but really like your results.

Stay patient with the postings, many of us appreciate your effort!

Cheers

Nick   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RichO said:

Mike, The photos are at 600 x 800 at this time.  Please let me know if they need to be smaller.  Thanks Rich.

Well done on getting to grips with them Rich. :) You can afford to go wider to 1024 x 800 or even 1280 x 800 before it starts to get shrunk down by the forum software.  The file size is the most important though, and if it's below 200kb it's brilliant.  Below 300kb is ok, but above that level it starts to slow down the display of the pictures.  Your first pics were about 4000 x 3000 if I remember correctly, and were 1.8mb in size, which was why everyone was seeing a long delay before they popped up.  That's the usual clue to someone using large files.  Each pic took over a second to load on my PC, which has 500mbps fully fibre-optic internet to my front door.  it's about as fast as most folks will get for now :)

There are a couple of FAQs on pictures in the FAQ section, so have a squint in there.  Sometimes it's easier to read through things at your leisure :book:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like @Stickframe said, the precision with which you're building all these small parts is astonishing (to me 🙂). A pleasure to watch. Colour wise, I'm not a rivet counter and I think that when this bad boy is done and you take it all in all these colour variations will make it stand out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK Everyone.  I think I have a grip on the photo size.  The last post photos are at 600 x 800.  I think I'll leave it there and not have any more to mess with.

Thanks everyone for the help with this.

• Like 3

Hi Rich,

I am getting on a bit myself. I was born before the space race even really got started.

However, fortunately for me, I went to a school that had a advanced thinking Maths Teacher who had arranged a deal with our local technical college so that we could play with their Elliot 803 computer. About the size of the average barn!

Hence, I started with this modern computer stuff at the tender age of 16 in 1971.

I have seen so many changes, that if I thought about it too much, my brain would probably try to escape to another universe!

Computers, and the internet are only scary if you let them! So, keep going.

I am in awe of the skills you are showing here. In comparison, I am just an average jobbing modeller!

Keep posting, I love what you are doing.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys are really great with the support here.  I had no idea that I had so many people looking over my shoulder that I could get help from.  Thanks to everyone who got involved and, the solution work out just fine.  All is right with the world of Britmodeller, and I feel that the new photos will help those with smaller devices. (sounds that way )

Thanks All for looking in.  Rich

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Rich,

I am getting on a bit myself. I was born before the space race even really got started.

However, fortunately for me, I went to a school that had a advanced thinking Maths Teacher who had arranged a deal with our local technical college so that we could play with their Elliot 803 computer. About the size of the average barn!

Hence, I started with this modern computer stuff at the tender age of 16 in 1971.

I wrote my first computer program at school in 1974 using punch cards that were sent to the Medway College of Technology computer and we got the results - usually a compiler error) the following week on print out with the program on a punch tape that we had to literally cut and paste with scissors and Sellotape to fix the bugs :) It took 6 months to get the program to compile and run to produce the mathematical expansion that calculates pi :)

Almost 50 years later I'm still debugging my code but now for a system that processes mortgage applications for a bank!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Almost 50 years later I'm still debugging my code but now for a system that processes mortgage applications for a bank!

Ahh, that mythical moment when everything works out as planned, in one go.... 

Greetings from a fellow debugger 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

I wrote my first computer program at school in 1974 using punch cards that were sent to the Medway College of Technology computer and we got the results

Hi Kallisti,

That was the technical college that we hooked up to in 1971!

We had a Type 28 teletype in the school classroom and an acoustic coupler to send our BASIC programs to the tech college, then they would run the programs.

On Fridays, we wold walk from school to the college, it wasn't that far as far as I can remember, then we would spend the afternoon writing simple programs and wasting loads of graph paper

Still coding 50 years on...

Ah, memories...

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Alan R said:

That was the technical college that we hooked up to in 1971!

I was in Gravesend at the Gammar School so we only had one chance to visit the Tech College to see the computer but I was off sick that day :( All our stuff was sent by post and we got the results a week later...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I was in Gravesend at the Gammar School so we only had one chance to visit the Tech College to see the computer

I was at Sir Joseph Williamsons Mathematical School (a fancy name for a normal Grammar School), which was only a mile or two from the tech college. That's why we could visit it on a Friday Afternoon.

Cheers, Alan.

I was smoking dope and gettin' into being an artist in the 60's man, like a lot of other hippies.  I was to wack to even consider establishment computers.  

• Haha 4