Sanger 1/48 Airspeed Oxford

Quick little update while this all sets up and dries. I went with Door# 2 option and a big old lump o'Milliput. Biggest reason I really didn't want to peel the top of the fuselage off just to glue a 4mm x 110mm wedge on each side plus additional tabs to  keep them in place. losing any wiring, bracing and assorted boxes I added for detail. And once I saw the error of the top fuselage line I couldn't un-see it. Now the good thing is that the thinnest of the extra build up isn't going to be as bad as I feared. By the time I get every sanded down and sculpted properly won't be noticed, or at least not as much.

51204795378_581ff35d8f_c.jpg

51205658040_f0712ea13c_c.jpg

51205658040_f0712ea13c_c.jpg

I added the Horizontal Stabilizers using  small pieces of toothpicks to give strength and at present have taken gazing compound to further smooth out the shape and fill in the small pits and dips. bit is probably going to take longer than normal to dry as the humidity and temp has risen considerably

51205747875_95921a8f22_c.jpg

I know it looks like it went through a cream pie factory fight, but it's starting to look more and more like an ofitchl' oxbox:yahoo:

• Like 3

So whilst the fuselage is doing it's drying thing. I took some more Milliput (definitely need to put another box on the shopping list.) and started correction to the wing/nacelles.

51203874407_de0024d2f3_c.jpg

51205451179_0d70deb26c_c.jpg

51203965002_23f7dae246_c.jpg

The wheel wells won't need much in the detail area and I'll print out the bracing for the flaps then redo the panel lines Crossing fingers that I'll have everything smoothed and sorted out and the wings attached.

So until then any comments, suggestions , or ideas are always welcome. :pilot:

• Like 3

Well bashing more plastic into submission the last few weeks along with waiting for new stock and parts to fix my printer. I did get the aft portion of the nacelles sanded down to their proper shape.

51221657062_4ee7800319_c.jpg

and added plates and additional detail with card and strip stock.

Built up the lower portion of the fuselage with some Milliput and card stock.

51222582033_1002e2a9f1_c.jpg

• Like 4

Its hard to see but I notched out for the navigation lights and cut and blocked out for the landing lights.

51222581973_6527171de2_c.jpg

51223136434_691e867c6b_c.jpg

Also cut the end from an ink pen to make the small round intake next to the landing lights.

Printed out  engine mounts

51223441515_bf2f4434d3_c.jpg

• Like 2

Of course when making mounts on must make new engines with exhaust pipes and nacelles. Biggest reason the kit parts were undersized. :shrug:

51223441485_3918c9a0c5_c.jpg

51223136419_7e48eac277_c.jpg

I still have to add the push rods and wiring harnesses.

• Like 4

The biggest hold up was trying to get the flap bracing to print out right. After several tries I discovered that the LCD screen was going bad so I had to order a new one. but after that I was able to resume making new parts

51221657092_b11ea1f0c1_c.jpg

And new Turret interior framing 

51221657077_74b3923775_c.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

That is some seriously prodigious model making! :worthy:

It looks like you easily doubled the weight of the model with Milliput...

Easily doubled. Its now solid as a rock.

• Like 1

The last little bit, whist attaching the canopy I managed to get my grubby fingerprints all over the side.. the kit unfortunately doesn't come with a spare. which means I have two, no three choices. 

1. do nothing and press on.... ain't happening.

2, make a new canopy buck to vac a new canopy.... maybe, If I have to.

3. be different and cut new clear plates and make new framing from stock.... hmmmm I ain't never not done this so. lets give it a shot.

I'm nothing if not a little 'teched in the haide.😜 Who knows it might just work. If not then I'll strip it off and go with option 2.

51222582008_45d850f6a2_c.jpg

The sides were easy-peasy plus the cockpit glass had very pronounced look. not really streamlined. might work in  my favor as well.

The front is composed of 6 irregularly shaped pieces. These on the other hand were NOT easy-peasy. But after a lot of how shall we say.... more colourful metaphors I have some semblance of a glass and framing combo. Instead of using CA I used watch crystal glue. The drawback is it takes a very long time to set. Hence the added aggravation.

51223441475_5cb8bde986_c.jpg

I did paint the strip the interior colour to give some semblance of the right look. I still need to tidy up the joins and sand down a little carefully ,mask off and give a coat of Primer to see where I'm at. I did tint the front over head canopy orange. I saw an example of one so that looked unique enough to add. Not sure if that was common for the European Oxboxes or the ones made for Canada or the ANZACs. There you have it a little more accomplished. I hope I can get at east a coat of primer on today before the rain sets in for the next few days. As it is its very humid out  and may play havoc anyways with painting. So until next time  Stay Safe and stay healthy and model on!

• Like 7

There is some great work going into the Oxford, and I really like the ingenious ways you surmount problems. It is quite an inspiration.

All the best, Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a goodly amount of gnashing of teeth and tearing my hair out(no doubt there will be more before its over) I've most of the new parts printed(more on that in a bit) its time to start laying down paint.

51234272643_ed02ff3f65_c.jpg

Rather than a fresh off the assembly line I'm going to go for "normal wear" weathering, Chipping paint, oil streaks, etc. To do that first step I painted aluminum on panel lines, areas that would see wear from mechanics and so on.

After that, a brush dipped in water moistening leading edge areas and other spots, followed by sprinkling good old fashioned table salt. When it dries I can paint over it then when that dries and I remove the salt by gently brushing it off will leave chipped paint marks. Following the salt I did  some pre-shading with black again around panel lines, the ailerons, rudder/tail piece I may still have to use a little bit of a wash but not much, I hope.

51234061366_928a52d0bf_c.jpg

51233358512_2401d0b973_c.jpg

• Like 2

Once thats all dried I did the camo upper surfaces. I debated on whether to do the camo first or the trainer yellow. I figured the over spray would be easier with the yellow than the the camo and proved to be the right decision but for additional reason as we shall see.

51235125440_5caf2e6b32_c.jpg

While the camo dried I painted the smaller parts I  printed. Counter weights for the ailerons, aileron hinges, pitot tube, antennas, and  oil intakes and the underneath of the flaps.

51234061346_529c658cf0_c.jpg

I will have to make new gear doors, (I didn't measure correctly, my bad) and groans, I'll have to make new landing gear because these are about 20-25% too small.

The trainer yellow came out ok, but because the paint is an enamel and  the humidity its taking longer than expected to dry. Good thing I did the camo first. I blu-tacked the engine on to see how it works out. So far so good.

I'm not quite satisfied with the look of the cockpit canopy I may also have to remove it and vac a new one once I make a new master.

51234272653_d83ef9895d_c.jpg

I also did a test fit of the turret gunners rig fairly close to what I wanted. I still need to paint the turret glass So far not too bad, one step forward and now maybe a half step back but making decent progress, God willin' and the creek don't rise I may just get this finished this week. If I can get the yellow to dry that is. If you have any comments , ideas or suggestions, shout them out. until next time, stay safe, stay healthy.

• Like 4

Just a small update, I have to go out of town for a couple of weeks so. I was hoping to have it completed beforehand but the enamel paint is not co-operating and a rising frustration level indicates I should step away for a little bit. But I should be back in plenty of time to button everything up and give it the final onceover,  I did finally get the undercarriage finished and added.

51239926662_76f59d141d_c.jpg

The wheel on the far left is the original. A bit larger than 1/72 but definitely smaller than 1/48.

Once added with the retraction bracing fit just about right. not perfect but with this build at least in the same ballpark

51241739725_e24c5d89cc_c.jpg

51241406214_e648c4aa0a_c.jpg

Added a touch of detail to the gear doors. I didn't do anything to the gear wells as there isn't much to see and it really didn't have anything in but the gear legs. A very simple straight forward design.

51241690215_00cd8f51e2_c.jpg

• Like 3

Also added the engines to their mounts,

51240636066_df1fbe971c_c.jpg

51240636071_7b815aa278_c.jpg

Along with the oil cooler intakes. I still have the mufflers to add

and finally added the pitot tube, aileron counter balances and the aileron hinges and landing lights.

51241690195_4ca61818b0_c.jpg

51240835693_fe75d2bab0_c.jpg

• Like 3

The last final bit will be cowlings and props, gear doors, fuselage door and gunners turret. I'm re-doing the gunners turret glass I wasn't satisfied with the way the vac turned out.

As usual I didn't catch it until it was too late but I got dust on the interior cockpit glass and the various windows, and can't get to any of them to clean them up. oh well. The framing though not perfect did work out ok. I did use some clear all purpose glue, kinda like the white Elmers glue from school but this dried MUCH clearer and tidied up some of the gaps

51234272598_f00489aa74_c.jpg

And added the nav lights

51241455204_705ce40bf9_c.jpg

• Like 2

I did scour off the salt I added at the beginning and the add more wear with a fine tipped brush.

51240686471_d61200c85a_c.jpg

51240686421_9f1b03659b_c.jpg

51241455189_53c937517d_c.jpg

There you have it for now, may yet get this across the finish line, kicking and screaming, but across the line none the less. So until next time Stay safe, stay healthy and Model  on ! :pilot:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

As this GB is almost at an end It's time for a little update. The end is in sight. I'd hoped to have finished this before now but problems in getting the Trainer yellow enamel to dry properly has been a nightmare. Whether due to humidity, age of the paint or my application techniques, the paint refused to harden. After  3 trys I figured enough is enough and found a online shop that had the acrylic version of the shade from AK Interactive and could get it to me fast enough. While waiting for the order to arrive I didn't like the look of how the cockpit glass was turning out. I took the last of my Milliput and made a new positive master that I could vac a new canopy glass, It's not perfect but its definitely better than the original.

51293504532_3aac5637e6_c.jpg

And I made new bomb aimer's glass that fits more correctly. Got the  Nacelle covers on with new mufflers that I printed out.

51293504512_2878851716_c.jpg

Got most of the extra bits added, although I'll have to add replacement counter weights, and pitot tube. I'll put those on last as I should have done originally. Thankfully I made spares just for this reason.:oops:

51295253740_317fd51412_c.jpg

51294967414_7c2fcc36bf_c.jpg

Probably later on today I'll begin adding the decals let them dry overnight, then begin the final parts and weathering then this build will be in the bag. Although I must say it came real close to being in the bin instead. More to do with my "fixes" than the actual model itself. So until later guys, Stay healthy, stay safe, and model on!:pilot:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

problems in getting the Trainer yellow enamel to dry properly has been a nightmare.

Further strengthens my resolve to never do a model with a lot of yellow in it; propellor tips are the limit (bad pun alert). Perhaps I should sign up

and face my fears full on! Yep I'm off to do it right now!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Further strengthens my resolve to never do a model with a lot of yellow in it; propellor tips are the limit (bad pun alert). Perhaps I should sign up

and face my fears full on! Yep I'm off to do it right now!!

The colour wasn't the issue. Painting yellow is easy. Bright colours like yellow, Red, and  Blue (the Primaries),or any bright colour, work best with a coat of white underneath because they are translucent, or semi-translucent. That's the beauty of it because now you can use subtle undertone shading to do the pre-weathering or shading before adding the topcoat of colour. My problem with the yellow came from the fact it wouldn't cure once applied no matter how long it sat, how much it was thinned down with lacquer thinner, or mineral spirits. It's been excessively hot and humid for the last several weeks, that and  the age of the paint may have been the primary contributing factor to its Intransigence. I've never had much luck with enamel paints. Lacquer and acrylic are my preferred mediums.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Despite your problems with the paint, it is looking super. I like the open door.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. It was a shame not to show the interior,(what you could that is) I'm hoping to have the final roll out later today. God willin' and the creek don't rise.,

• Like 2

Yes, this has come along very well indeed. It was a shame about the yellow, but you got around that the same way as I have done a few times before!

Cheers, Ray

I think I can finally say this project is done, stick a fork in it. The last of the underside weathering is complete and all the little doo-dads have been added.So as the final entry in this build,

DEcals added last night and allowed to dry before finishing up the final weathering. The undersides I used a mechanical pencil to highlight the panel lines and add grease and dirt smudges. I accentuated it further using an artist fan brush dipped in black chalk and lightly ran front to back following airflow. The bristles in the brush gave a randomness to the streaks both in intensity and length. I followed that with a coat of clear matt varnish to seal everything in. Airbrushed the exhaust marks with acrylic oily black.

51297702455_54e71f056d_c.jpg

Added the last of the bracing to the flap system

51296871493_42cb1113cb_c.jpg

51296693276_b56ff1948d_c.jpg

and finally added the antennas and used EZ line for the wire,And hung the door.

51297407019_5914fef567_c.jpg

• Like 2

51296871448_59950f2f36_c.jpg

51295950462_fe867debdc_c.jpg

51297406979_c1d0951171_c.jpg

51297702435_e5f4f1c36b_c.jpg

51296871478_9fe4fb8794_c.jpg

This has been a heck of a trip. t didn't turnout as good as I had hoped , but definitely better than I expected after over coming some mountain sized obstacles that I don't mind saying gave me pause and a desire to bin the project. Not so much from the model but from some of my more unique ways of correcting. But you will have that at times when building a vac. It makes you step out of you safe zone and think outside the box and thats what I love about vacs. Probably why everyone considers me 😜

But seriously I do want to Thank Mjwomack , and Enzo Matrix for putting on this gem of a GB. It has in all honestly been a load of fun . I will be putting up Gallery shots here in a little bit with the updated link here. So until next time Ladies and Gents... as always, Stay safe,Stay healthy, and model On!:pilot:

Addendum- Gallery link for those who might stumble upon this build by accident.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

didn't turnout as good as I had hoped

Well it's way better than anything I've ever achieved. I think it's a real gem. Weathering is spot on too my mind for one thing, and then there's the yellow!

• Thanks 1