PZL P.11c Cockpit Color(s)

Murph

The conventional wisdom right now for the P.11c cockpit is overall painted aluminum (or clear lacquer with aluminum powder), but the one surviving example at the Krakow Museum has the interior of the fuselage painted a light blue-gray while the framing, seat, etc... are in aluminum, reminiscent of Hurricane cockpits.  Is this just another example of a museum restoration that is mistaken?

Regards,
Murph

• Thanks 1

This is a question best left to @KRK4m!  My impression, having visited that museum several times, is that they are sticklers for authenticity.  You could probably get away with silver paint on the inside of the cockpit, though.  It's a small space in 1/72!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

My impression, having visited that museum several times, is that they are sticklers for authenticity. 

From what I have read online, that was my impression also.

regards,

Murph

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:19 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is a question best left to @KRK4m!  My impression, having visited that museum several times, is that they are sticklers for authenticity.  You could probably get away with silver paint on the inside of the cockpit, though.  It's a small space in 1/72!

When I started working at the Museum in April 1987, the P.11c was barely renovated in the parent PZL Warszawa-Okecie plant. The color of the seat and the frames were aluminum, and the interior walls of the cockpit were sea blue-grey. I am afraid that that renovation was carried out according to the PZL production standards of the time (Wilga), and not according to the conservator's guidelines.

I left the Museum in December 2013, when another renovation of the P.11c was considered. It included, inter alia, (finally) replacing the wheels with larger ones and changing the colours of the outer camouflage. The plane was dismantled into pieces, at the same time a full-size GRP copy was built for the Air Force Museum in Deblin, and a huge documentation work was done, the result of which are already new kits of two Warsaw manufacturers, and the program of building several P.11 and P.24 flying replicas has become much more realistic.

Unfortunately, nobody thought about repainting the cockpit interior in aluminum color. Maybe you will see it (because I probably won't) in the next 30 years ...

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1