Hogwarts Express, 1/48, Scratchbuilt

Dementors Attack the Hogwarts Express

It is a little known aspect of the Second Great Wizarding War that the Order of the Phoenix occasionally used the Hogwarts Express as a means of secret communication.  When required,  a brave squib engineer - Cornelius Melchett - would take the locomotive, unencumbered by rolling stock, at high-speed to points all over the country conveying secret messages and items of great importance.  Since he was a squib, he was not closely monitored by the Ministry of Magic and as the locomotive ran completely on muggle principles, it left no traceable magical signature.

Eventually however, Cornelius's luck ran out. One evening on Ravenscar Moor he was ambushed by a patrol of no fewer than nine dementors.  Although he tried to escape at speed, resistance was futile. The attack was brief and vicious, and alas, Cornelius lost his life.  Today a small plaque on the footplate of the Hogwarts Express commemorates his bravery and sacrifice.

VwGGyla.jpg

yGNf67M.jpg

UnK0rBo.jpg

pC1tEg2.jpg

cy0zcIY.jpg

EUS4ILQ.jpg

sAvkVu3.jpg

EP6Sswa.jpg

F79Tn7y.jpg

It's almost two years ago since my 12 year old daughter (now 14) came to me stating that she wanted to scratchbuild the Hogwarts Express. We started in July 2019 and 'Baby Bandsaw' (sometimes her mum calls her 'Caroline') did most of the work herself, although I helped out here and there. 

The locomotive is mostly made of wood and brass with the wheels 3D printed by Neil; a good friend of mine without whose assistance this could not have been done.

I could not be prouder of what my daughter has achieved here and must say that the final standard is far above what I thought possible when we started.

Here's the story of how this model / diorama was made. 

I would like to thank everyone in the Britmodeller Community who offered advice, interest, encouragement or just old fashioned banter.  There have been one or two stalwarts on this project who have contributed at every step of the way. To you lot - and you know who you are - I offer very special thanks indeed.

Best Wishes to you all,

Bandsaw Steve and Baby Bandsaw

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

Gidday BBS/TBS/Caroline and BS, congratulations on your completion. The model has certainly turned out very well and is a credit to you for your perseverance and tenacity. It was certainly interesting and amusing to follow the build thread. I look forward to seeing it soon. Regards, Jeff.

P.S. Pity about poor Cornelius.

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate! Looks like that coffee next weekend is still happening. All going well you should get a chance to talk to BB in person too as she’s volunteered for door duty at WASMEx.

• Like 1

That's a cracking model locomotive, the final bits of detailing and weathering have really brought it to life.  The diorama setting and figures are excellent and it's great that the model/setting has a back story.

• Thanks 1

Thanks John!

Told ya we had plans for all those details you suggested! 👍 And they really did make a big difference. BB did all the weathering herself and got it spot-on I reckon!

• Thanks 1

That's a 'First Class' job young BB has done there. Obviously a chip off the old block.

As John says, the final detailing has really brought it to life. I think it ought to make an appearance at next weekend's bunfight, and stuff the organisers.

Doesn't have to be in the competition, but on the door with BB, and everyone will get to see it.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Steve and BB. After seeing these pictures I had to go back and read through the entire build of the Express. I have to say that I am well and truly gobsmacked at not only the build itself but the level of detail accomplished.

BB managed (with minimal help from Da) to use just about every conceivable construction form in this scratch build with the exception of Vac forming or printing out your own parts in the shed! BB you did a magnificent job and Good On YA!! And anybody tries to say different and you let us Britmodellers know and we'll set'em right. If this is an example of a first go at model building, I can't wait to see what you can come up with.  I will now step off me soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduled programming.:goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always wondered what happened to General Melchett after Blackadder Goes Forth...

I hope BB is proud of her efforts - it's turned out really well even she did have to endure the mole cricket part way through and should stand comparison with anything at the show. Are you likely to tempt her into another build?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Redshift said:

That looks amazing, and it is always an entertaining education following your builds. When is BB going to become a britmodeller member in her own right? 

In fact she already is; see... @Baby Bandsaw

I am sorry to say however she is not especially active and is more of a ‘snap chatter’ or an ‘instagrammer’

If she ever does anything like this again I fear it will fall on my broad shoulders to keep you all informed. 

15 hours ago, Spiny said:

I always wondered what happened to General Melchett after Blackadder Goes Forth...

I hope BB is proud of her efforts - it's turned out really well even she did have to endure the mole cricket part way through and should stand comparison with anything at the show. Are you likely to tempt her into another build?

No promises, but as she stuck the last piece on the Express she said

’That’s  it! Never again! Thank God that’s over!’

About five seconds later I said ‘Do you know I’ve found a set of plans for XYZ’

to which she replied,

’Can we start tonight?’

I suggested we might take a break till the school holidays...🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Spiny said:

Good point Spiny...

I think I shall now alert @general melchett to this. I’m sure he will be proud of what his great nephew achieved. Stout Chap he was! 🇬🇧

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

In fact she already is; see... @Baby Bandsaw

I am sorry to say however she is not especially active and is more of a ‘snap chatter’ or an ‘instagrammer’

I

You mean Britmodeller's NOT ‘snap chatter’ or an ‘instagrammer’? My world is Shattered:cry:

• Haha 1