Fleet Air Arm Harvard MkIIb, 729 Sqn, Italeri 1/48

Hi folks,

Down in the Texan/Harvard STGB: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/726-texan-harvard-stgb/

I have just completed this Italeri/Occidental kit. I've used resin exhaust and wheels plus Eduard seatbelts. The aircraft was masked and sprayed with Tamiya Silver and Colourcoats for the roundels. Maketar masks were used for all codes and roundels. I also used a spare Monogram cowling rather than the kits version which has the wrong profile. It represents this aircraft: 

KF494

Harvard Finished

Harvard Finished

Harvard Finished

Harvard Finished

Harvard Finished

Harvard IIb

Harvard IIb

Harvard Finished

Harvard Finished

Harvard

Harvard

It's my third Harvard in as many months and I think that is enough for now unless Airfix decide to make a more modern kit!

Oh there is that 1/32 Kittyhawk kit I need to build too....

Thanks for looking,

Nick

• Like 40

19 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Nice touch with the mud thrown onto the wing behind the wheels! Sure looks handsome in silver dope with those roundels, too! 👍

Mike

Thanks, I'm a big fan of SEAC roundels, even more so on a FAA bird!

Looks wonderful Nick,.....

personally I would have gone with blue and white roundels,... possibly with larger blue areas above the wings,..... like the Oxfords from the same unit;

......but I know exactly why you`ve gone for the markings you`ve chosen and that fuselage roundel could be either colour to be fair,..... maybe the code could have been K7-Y on the other side too? But that is again,.... a MAYBE!! 

what matters is that it is a great looking Fleet Air Arm Harvard mate,......

Cheers

Tony  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

I like this,  you've done a great job on this, it does look great

I built a RNZAF display aircraft a long time ago now and went for the Monogram kit over the Occidental/Italeri kit due to the engine cowling profile , great idea to use the monogram cowling on your kit.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looks wonderful Nick,.....

personally I would have gone with blue and white roundels,... possibly with larger blue areas above the wings,..... like these Oxfords from the same unit;

oxfords-faa-seac.jpg

......but I know exactly why you`ve gone for the markings you`ve chosen and that fuselage roundel could be either colour to be fair,..... maybe the code could have been K7-Y on the other side too? But that is again,.... a MAYBE!! 

what matters is that it is a great looking Fleet Air Arm Harvard mate,......

Cheers

Tony  

Heya Tony,

thanks for the comments. A fair shout on all points I reckon. K7 is the Katakrunda code. I ahhmed and ahhed about the upper wing roundels for a time and in the end went with that size as it is similar to what they did with the other SEAC fighters.

I love the Oxford photo and had thought about doing that as I have the SH boxing but without any decals. I’m guessing as they were mostly made of wood, the silver finish was an attempt to reflect the heat from breaking down glue, like they did with the mossies? 

cheers again!

Nick

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Heya Tony,

thanks for the comments. A fair shout on all points I reckon. K7 is the Katakrunda code. I ahhmed and ahhed about the upper wing roundels for a time and in the end went with that size as it is similar to what they did with the other SEAC fighters.

I love the Oxford photo and had thought about doing that as I have the SH boxing but without any decals. I’m guessing as they were mostly made of wood, the silver finish was an attempt to reflect the heat from breaking down glue, like they did with the mossies? 

cheers again!

Nick

Glad you took it in the way it was meant Nick,..... knowing you I just knew you`d be uhmming and hmming about the roundels! Like I say,... it still looks great.

A lot of the second line FAA aircraft in Southern India and Ceylon, were re finished in silver,..... Swordfish, Defiant TT, Martinet, Oxford etc,..... so it wasn`t just becuse they were wood,..... although it definitely wouldn`t have hurt. The RAF had silve painted Anson`s in the area too. 

K was Katukurunda I reckon,.... 7 the unit,...... codes wise. 

All the best mate

Tony

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Glad you took it in the way it was meant Nick,..... knowing you I just knew you`d be uhmming and hmming about the roundels! Like I say,... it still looks great.

A lot of the second line FAA aircraft in Southern India and Ceylon, were re finished in silver,..... Swordfish, Defiant TT, Martinet, Oxford etc,..... so it wasn`t just becuse they were wood,..... although it definitely wouldn`t have hurt. The RAF had silve painted Anson`s in the area too. 

K was Katukurunda I reckon,.... 7 the unit,...... codes wise. 

All the best mate

Tony

Thanks Tony, I appreciate it! I do rather like the Defiant TT in FAA colours and the silver scheme, if only someone made a conversion for the Airfix kit.......

atb

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Thanks Tony, I appreciate it! I do rather like the Defiant TT in FAA colours and the silver scheme, if only someone made a conversion for the Airfix kit.......

atb

Nick

There is always the old Classic Airframes kit,..... I`ve got one to do as a Fleet Air Arm TT. 

• Like 1