Meng 1/32 Fokker Dr1

G'day All,

My take on one of MvR's Triplanes...….and yes its the all red one.

Built OOB and brush painted with enamel Tamiya XF-7 red.

The prop was base coated with Tamiya desert yellow and then I used coloured pencils to try and get the wood look, after which the whole thing got a thin coat of Tamiya clear orange. The Axial prop logos are from a WnW Albatros.

The few bits of rigging was done with elastic line and thin copper wire. 

Cheers,
Devo

VC3aJj.jpg

KIQYYJ.jpg

vsMwFR.jpg

h3RHPd.jpg

YzYhcF.jpg

i8jjkj.jpg

• Like 31

Nothing wrong with doing the famous all red one when you can do it as well as this. It would be easy for it to look like a toy in a solid red colour but you've certainly avoided that.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, Duncan B said:

Nothing wrong with doing the famous all red one when you can do it as well as this. It would be easy for it to look like a toy in a solid red colour but you've certainly avoided that.

Duncan B

Thankyou.:cheers:

On 4/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, BerndM said:

Superb work. Its often said the MvRs all red Fokker is overdone but it looks without doubt really nice.

Thankyou.:cheers:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Lovely work! The upward sweep on the wings is different but kinda neat.

Thanks!

Yeah my kit had a slight warpage of the wings. I was too lazy to try and fix it.😁 It sure isn't a WnW kit though.

6 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Ha !   I got that same kit 2 weeks ago for exactly the same reason you did.

Great job, especially the engine, looks like the real deal.

Thanks!

Gotta love a red Fokker!:yes:

On 4/29/2021 at 3:12 AM, Devo said:

Thanks!

Yeah my kit had a slight warpage of the wings. I was too lazy to try and fix it.😁 It sure isn't a WnW kit though.

Actually...............it is. This is a re-cap of what is generally known out there on the www....

"According to this video.....

from Andy's Hobby HQ Meng is the group that built some of WNW's molds and the only reason they released this Fokker Dr. I was because WNW's was having them make the mold when they went out of business so Meng took the mold as payment and produced it themselves. It is still uncertain if Meng was simply their mold maker or if they actually retained the molds and were doing the injections for the kits as well. Or if someone else has bought the molds as one of WNW's assets. We only know about that one kit as this point."

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 6:21 AM, Allan31 said:

Actually...............it is. This is a re-cap of what is generally known out there on the www....

"According to this video.....

from Andy's Hobby HQ Meng is the group that built some of WNW's molds and the only reason they released this Fokker Dr. I was because WNW's was having them make the mold when they went out of business so Meng took the mold as payment and produced it themselves. It is still uncertain if Meng was simply their mold maker or if they actually retained the molds and were doing the injections for the kits as well. Or if someone else has bought the molds as one of WNW's assets. We only know about that one kit as this point."

Thanks.

I suppose I should have said that IMHO it wasn't quiet up to WnW standard wise i.e. I a lot of mold seams needed getting rid of on nearly every part etc. Just a small thing that had better QC before? I don't know.

I have built three Wnw kits which were all absolutely spot on. My Meng Dr1 just seemed to be..... just not up to the same standard.

I did like the photo etch parts though. They were already detached, no more little metal burrs to worry about. That should be the standard from now on!👍