Potez 631 , Escadrille de Chasse de Nuit 1/13, Nimes-Garons, 1940, Azur, 1/72

Hi,

The Potez 631 was a night fighter, sometimes called "French Me 110". Was not very successful in 1940 campaign. Model presents machine No 198 (X-967) of Night Fighter Squadron (Escadrille de Chasse de Nuit) 1/13 based on South France, airfield Nimes-Garons shortly after Armistice in summer 1940, very likely in the same scheme she took part in fights.  Many of Potez 631 wear doubled roundels on top  - small and large, which were adopted successively. Here was a source: 

e0dec8f43d8f92966e592c60c9ec0733.jpg

I used a mix of decals - some from box and some by Techmod *French Insignia and Potez 63-11 sets) , even small numbers for the the tiny "198" were there in this sense, that in box were decals for machine No 168 from the same squadron (so bat emblem was there as well) .

The white bar on fuselage typical for early Vichy machines scheme was in fact introduced already during the 1940 campaign on Potez 63 series just as a fast identification element, though despite it a number of friendly fire cases happened due to mismatch with Me 110...

It happend that I visited Nimes 12 years ago. This ia a charming and very beautiful old town with some Roman time buildings in center... But I realized that this particular machine is from Nimes  right now, when I am writing the post....

Here it is:

51137345962_6a98f29f14_b.jpg

51138240443_66e8896c52_b.jpg

51137346327_49372f4e2e_b.jpg

51138021151_70c6abd23d_b.jpg

51137346537_dcddba473a_b.jpg

51138021401_9c724b7e42_b.jpg

51138021566_e55c006290_b.jpg

Looks that it was in my stash for 17-18 years... This is mine #6 this year finished.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 21

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Jerzy, it looks really nice. Crikey you've done six already this year, great output fella.

Chris

Chris, thank you! My wife also told me, that I am spending too much time on hobby ;) 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JWM said:

Chris, thank you! My wife also told me, that I am spending too much time on hobby ;) 

Regards

J-W

Hi Jerzy, you had better keep your wife sweet and do some jobs around the house or garden, that way you can earn some more modelling brownie points!!!

Chris

• Haha 1

Looks great J-W,..... I like the small roundels on the wing tips!

Only Six...... crikey!😉 😀

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, S. Uehlinger said:

Very Nice Work!  The Potez is about the only Heller French 1940 kit I do NOT have....guess I will have to pick one up....

Thank you - but please be careful, this is the Azur kit, not the Heller one. If you will google "Potez 631 Heller model" you may see examples of completed models from Heller kit . It is easy to observe that the proportions are different, especially in the canopy, nose and engines. This results in a different look of completed model. In my opinion the shapes are better reproduced by Azur kit, however his Azur kit is really  not very user friendly mostly by some kind of unwanted mix of resin and injected parts in construction of u/c and details of coolers below wings  (BTW  stil some details are not reproduced at all). So there is a room for nice new modern  kits  of  Potez 63 family.  Maybe the SH concern will re-work them on basis on those 20 years old moulds - I hope there will be a commercial success of it..