Beech Staggerwing 1/48th.

Another from my collection of unfinished models. This time the Roden Beech D.17 Staggerwing.  I built this very soon after the kit was available as I find this aeroplane interesting and attractive. But I wanted t do it as a factory finished yellow example but at the time no decals were available And, not long after Roden issued it in civvy colours but its gotten too expensive for me to get another.   So this one lay forgotten gathering dust and cobwebs in a corner of a box .  So, very recently I have been going through all these unfinished works and decided to see what I could do with this one. As it happens, there is a thread elsewhere (  Beech Traveller MkI - Unarmed GB - Britmodeller.com)  of a 1/72nd AZ( ex Sword) one undergoing a build showing the box art with one in RAF roundels and a silver finish. Excellent, all I need do is rummage through my decal stash and find suitable markings from  the generic sets I have (Modeldecal).  The serial is from some unknown brand of decals with alphabet and numerals about the right size but a tad too small but now they are on look OK.   A bit of a wash and dust down, apply the decals and job done......

5ANB6l.jpg

Above: as it appeared after a clean up.
BpyMFg.jpg

mQLHhk.jpg

qA6MUQ.jpg

6QwhVD.jpg

BXiwlc.jpg

7NPEhJ.jpg

I noticed from the image of the AZ kit the roundels lack the yellow surrounds that mine has.  But hey ho... it adds a splash of colour.  It also looks like I need to add the non-slip walkways.
Nj0KDb.jpg

As for details about FZ433, I still need to do some searching.

• Like 22

Nice and clean build... Beech is in my stash for long time and I am still not decided which scheme should I make: US, RAF  or Finnish  liaison machine, China ambulance or a volunteer machine from Etiopia or Spain... Your choice is not the most colorful, If I may ask - how you came to that particular one?

Regards

J-W

11 minutes ago, JWM said:

Nice and clean build... Beech is in my stash for long time and I am still not decided which scheme should I make: US, RAF  or Finnish  liaison machine, China ambulance or a volunteer machine from Etiopia or Spain... Your choice is not the most colorful, If I may ask - how you came to that particular one?

Regards

J-W

Thanks for comment. I had no idea what scheme until I came across the build in the Unarmed GB and the image of the 1/72 AZ box gave me the answer to my problem.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Thanks for comment. I had no idea what scheme until I came across the build in the Unarmed GB and the image of the 1/72 AZ box gave me the answer to my problem.  

In fact there is only one proper scheme for this elegant aeroplane and that the classic Beechcraft flash/cheat line down the side and any colour overrall ... as long as its yellow but other colours work too. But not military!!!

8 minutes ago, Paul J said:

In fact there is only one proper scheme for this elegant aeroplane and that the classic Beechcraft flash/cheat line down the side and any colour overrall ... as long as its yellow but other colours work too. But not military!!!

I asked just to provoke some discussion which might help me in solving the dilemma of choice...

Fore example here is machine from Spanish Civil War https://scwsig.wordpress.com/2018/04/06/beechcraft-model-17-staggerwing-during-the-spanish-civil-war/

I quite, sorry :) I should start a thread on this in proper place...

Regards

J-W

You`ve done a lovely job Paul,.... I love the art deco shape of the Staggerwing! 

Your Traveller, FZ433 I believe served with 201 Group Comms Squadron in N. Africa in 1945?

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

I have love the finish and the build is outstanding as well. As an aside, I am gathering information on Staggerwings that flew commercially in French Indochina postwar by a famous French fighter pilot. All wore the overall silver scheme.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

You`ve done a lovely job Paul,.... I love the art deco shape of the Staggerwing! 

Your Traveller, FZ433 I believe served with 201 Group Comms Squadron in N. Africa in 1945?

Cheers

Tony

Cheers for that Tony. Where do you get all this info??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Cheers for that Tony. Where do you get all this info??

No worries mate,.... oh just books mate,..... but it will be online somewhere no doubt.