Short Sturgeon TT2

Now here's a challenge first a Magna kit, and secondly yellow and black stripes underneath. The Sturgeon started as an anti submarine aircraft but became a sturdy land and carrier based target tug. A fairly substantial machine and served the Navy for a number of years in the 40s and 50s. A little bit about the aircraft later but here's the kit. 

resized_e62f6681-2fa9-45fd-bf83-034e4e85

The main parts are in Magna's familiar cream resin with fairly large chunky mould gates. But fairly well moulded and a basis, like most Magna machines, for a decent looking model. 

resized_dc649308-192d-48ad-87a9-5b2f9a22

The smaller and detail parts are in white white metal and although they're in there there's a lot of filing to be done to get them into reasonable condition. 

resized_6ba4c954-877f-4bd8-b913-63462562

Four pages of information and instructions which although more than a bit 'old school' are comprehensive and helpful. 

resized_af6fbf61-0dc3-4dd7-89b9-be62ad6d

resized_e5ae84c8-d5c5-4dce-93ae-daf5498b

The transparencies are vac formed with the fuselage windows on a piece of acetate sheet.  There's doubles of them all for the cack handed like me but unfortunately the main canopy has yellowed somewhat. I'll have a ponder along the way but it looks not unlike a Firefly canopy and there may be something in the stash. There aren't any transfers but good plans for a number of TT2s and a TT3. I should be able to find something in the transfer stash by I'll have to be careful about badges, etc..

resized_cc9ef297-b240-481f-8f08-ce89f31b

• Like 13

Canopy - coat the inside with butter, marge or olive oil, then press in a lump of Milliput. When that is hard, remove from yellowed canopy and you'll have a buck to crash / push / vac mould a new one over

• Like 2