RAF Sabre 4 - the Airfix 1/48 Kit

Sabrejet

I too am disappointed at the softness of the detail compared to other manufacturers. Particularly in a brand new 21st century tool. 

However it won't stop me buying it and I have to say perhaps it's not something that would even be noticed on a finished model. 

But I'm glad there are no showstoppers as such. Plus I've always fancied an RAF Sabre. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Quick, post some more pics to get back on subject

Tony

Well here goes. Couple of shots to show how in-the-field 6-3 leading edges were installed. It looks like they were supplied pre-camouflaged and that the camouflage of the new leading edge didn't always match that of the older wing box. First photo courtesy John Hardwick, of a 71 Sqn machine:

004 John Hardwick

And 92 Sqn in the UK. Note the new wingtip (circa 3 inches longer) is apparent on the nearest machine:

004a

How's that Tony? :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I quite like that newly painted 6-3 leading edge against the faded paint on the original wing surface, would look quite good on a model. Now we just need to work out which serials were so modified and which were supplied new.

Cheers and thanks Duncan... Dave 

On 4/25/2021 at 4:29 PM, Sabrejet said:

the flashed-over holes for the tank pylons are in the wrong place! They measure approximately 62.75mm from the fuselage centre line, which equates to BP 118 on the real aircraft: this is the outer station for a dual-store wing. The correct location should be BP 99.5, which on the kit is 52.33mm from the centre line.

I'm at the stage of marking out where the holes should be - I presumed that the front hole should be the same distance back from the leading edge of part A3 (the lower wing moulding) as the flashed over hole but maybe that isn't right.  Perhaps it should be further back?

Have started my kit and got to the stage where I selectively glossed the cockpit for the instrument decals. Applied them and they seemed to settle down nicely. Fully dried I thought I’d give them a quick sealing varnish. Couldn't be bothered with the airbrush so used a hairy stick instead. The detail on the decal basically just smeared off. Not a problem I’ve had before.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:22 PM, Giorgio N said:

Airfix big advantage is that their kits are widely available in the UK (and in other markets too), something that can't be said for many Asian manufacturers. This alone will likely make this kit pretty succesful.

Yep I completely agree. And whilst I do understand some will be disappointed - and the reasons why - also it seems to me that Airfix is in the business of selling their products and  know their market pretty well. So they primarily focus on subjects that have a British service history and make them widely available to the average UK modeller (and potentially casual buyer) in their home market. And at a reasonable price for 1/48 scale (I recently paid over £30  each for a couple of 1/72 Chinese "state of the art" kits and over £70 for a 1/48 Japanese one). Airfix make their new kits accurate in outline, reasonably detailed and with superb decals. Bettering the best on the market for a particular model subject or plugging a gap for a paricular sub-type to satisfy advanced modellers would not appear to be a priority.

I can't say I've ever had a burning desire to build a Sabre and the variation in wings debate always leaves me cold if I'm honest, but the subject  as presented piqued my interest so I have bought the kit. As long as Airfix continue to regularly release great kit subjects to a reasonable standard I, for one, am happy to be a customer.  Now when is that 1/48 de Havilland Vampire F.3 due... (interesting to see how this kit stacks up against the competition...? :wink:). 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bryanm said:

I'm at the stage of marking out where the holes should be - I presumed that the front hole should be the same distance back from the leading edge of part A3 (the lower wing moulding) as the flashed over hole but maybe that isn't right.  Perhaps it should be further back?

No that part is about right: it just needs to be further inboard as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Museum errors seem to be a plague on Airfix's modern kits... And the whole generation of LIDAR scan based kits. They really need to get in a really good expert of each plane they do just to check for these things that someone who has only researched the aircraft in depth for the purpose of the deigning the kit would miss. Similar things are evident on the new Vulcan which is hopefully going to be out in the summer.

I agree wholeheartedly, having just built the Hunter 4 kit. Too much reliance on lidar, and not enough checking against photos.

TW

• Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 08:00, Rabbit Leader said:

I quite like that newly painted 6-3 leading edge against the faded paint on the original wing surface, would look quite good on a model. Now we just need to work out which serials were so modified and which were supplied new.

Cheers and thanks Duncan... Dave 

Duncan lists all the serials in his book showing which were delivered with the hard wing and any that were modified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Rabbit Leader: the aircraft which were 6-3-winged from manufacture are (RCAF s/n in parentheses):

XB647-XB650 (19854-19857)
XB770-XB775 (19858-19863)
XB851-XB855 (19864-19868)
XB916-XB961 (19803-19848)
XB973-XB977 (19849-19853)
XB978-XB999 (19869-19890)
XD780, XD781 (19801-19802)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

@Rabbit Leader: the aircraft which were 6-3-winged from manufacture are (RCAF s/n in parentheses):

XB647-XB650 (19854-19857)
XB770-XB775 (19858-19863)
XB851-XB855 (19864-19868)
XB916-XB961 (19803-19848)
XB973-XB977 (19849-19853)
XB978-XB999 (19869-19890)
XD780, XD781 (19801-19802)

Super useful!  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Regarding the "soft detail" on recent Airfix kits:

The softness/roundness lies in the top surface. By gently sanding down the surface with wet n' dry the detail improves no end, and quickly and simply gets close to Hasegawa standards. The panel lines and rivets are very narrow and sharp closer to their bottom. If varying the level of sanding a little, one gets a very interesting and subtle variation which gives life and interest to the detail. Resulting/remaining panel lines can also be deepened  with local scribing in places to give further variation. 

IMHO, this limited effort gives very rewarding results! See link below, Airfix FR Mk.XIV wing in progress. To appreciate sharpness, consider the pictures level of zoom (It will get a bulge from an Ultracast panel insert. Not seen in this view, it will be modified to a FR.XVIII)

TE

FR.XVIII wing

Edited by Tomas Enerdal
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi

I just watched a couple (many) reviews and build videos on youtube and I am not impressed. Apart from the usual (cheap) low pressure molding in sub standard molds made in Cheapistan, the cockpit is a pure joke! The seat, or what is meant to be it, a 10 year old one could carve from a piece of soap with better details. The rest of the cockpit also lacks details, it almost reminds me of the Airfix blister packs of my childhood. I do not understand that. I have quite a few newer Airfix kits and while non of them is up to Tamiya or Eduard standards, some of them are really nice. Spitfire Mk1 to 5, P-40B, Defiant, Hurricane, Mustang. And then you have the Sabre or the 109E, with it's trenches and glas part that look like the bottoms of whine bottles. I wonder if Airfix employs someone good in their marketing department? The 109E up until very recently was the most acurate -E outline wise...and if made to high standards could have been a million seller. The same goes for the Sabre, a Hasegawa quality -A model (with John Wayne decals 😉 )would have also sold millions  I am sure. No, it has to be a toy like RAF version which is really only interesting for the decals.  )

Sorry for the rant...

cheers

Uwe

PS: Toying with the idea of buying a Hawker Hunter, any thoughts on that one?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, anj4de said:

PS: Toying with the idea of buying a Hawker Hunter, any thoughts on that one?

I'd say (actually having an example of each) that the Hunter is somewhat better than the Sabre.  It also has the significant difference of having much less competitive alternatives.  There are one or two minor tweaks/corrections you might wish to make.

I like the Sabre more than I thought I would, but I do think the panel lines are somewhat more heavy-handed than is desirable for the subject. 

• Like 2

I must say I generally enjoyed building the 1/48 Airfix Sabre, the only problem I had, which was of my own choice, was to replace the kit's 6:3 wing leading edges for the particular slatted wing machine I was asked to build.

img

Mark

• Like 5

On 11/28/2023 at 8:34 PM, anj4de said:

whine bottles

[....]

Sorry for the rant...

cheers

Ok, you had me giggling for a bit there ;)

I did take advantage of the Black Friday discount on the Sabre - at half the price I'll deal with it.

Re: Hunter - the latest FGA.9 box has some extra bits & correction info. Maybe that satisfies your desires a bit better.