Albatros B.II - 1/32 Wingnut Wings

Albatros B.II

1/32 Wingnut Wings

ab3.jpg

The Albatros B.II was an unarmed 2 seater, almost unique in having been produced in 1913 before the Great War broke out, and remained in production until the Armistice in 1918. It was produced by many companies ,and with lost of subtle variations. The Observer sat in the forward cockpit, but I assume did not have the best of views, with the lower wings blocking his view downward, and the engine the view forward. His position was somewhat precarious, with his seat being mounted on top a the large petrol tank, another auxiliary tank above his head, and radiators with boiling water to either side. I just love the look of domestic type radiators plumbed in to the fuselage sides!

The pilot sat in the rear cockpit with a big ship-type steering wheel. 

Fortunately I bought this kit before Wingnut Wings suddenly closed, and I'm glad I did because it was an absolute pleasure to build.

I decided not to use the supplied woodgrain decal as it looked yo coarse and yellowish to me, so I instead used Uschi van der Rosten woodgrain decal over Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan. The clear doped linen is my own brew of Tamiya acrylic, also using XF-78, white an yellow.

ab2.jpg

I painted a representation of the upper wing crosses on the underside of the top wings, to represent the see through effect of the light coming from above. Can you see it in the next 2 photos??

ab1.jpg

ab4.jpg

ab5.jpg

ab6.jpg

ab7.jpg

ab8.jpg

ab15.jpg

ab9.jpg

ab10.jpg

ab11.jpg

ab12.jpg

ab13.jpg

The wheels come with etched brass spokes, 1 'disc' per side, and were very easy to, and look great. Plastic spoked wheels are also provided, but don't look anywhere near as good.

ab14.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

A truly beautifully created model of a design that looks rather subobtimal for recce work.

Nifty trick to simulate the see-through effect on the upper wing!

Impressive and inspiring modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Long time no see, John -

Absolutley brilliant! - love the national cross showing through the wing fabric effect.

Do you still have any WNW kits left in your stash?

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

What a beautifully executed model. Bravo. 

I love these early flying machines and their moth like fragility. You have be brave or bonkers to fly in one and yet they epitomised the latest tech of the day in their time. Truly a bygone age. 

Once again a great job and thanks for showing and inspiring  👏 

• Like 1

Superb work, I'm still trying to work out how many masks you must have used for the see through crosses and ribs. It's a 1st class demonstration of the art that is WW1 aircraft painting for us wannabes.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Thanks all for the kind comments.

On 25/04/2021 at 17:18, Epeeman said:

Do you still have any WNW kits left in your stash?

I do, Dave. enough to keep me busy for a while yet. I believe they are for building and not 'collecting'.  I'm not sure the Felixstowe was a sensible purchase though, it's huge and scares me at the thought of building it!

Cheers

John

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

That’s a beautiful model, you’ve really captured the fragility of early aircraft and the translucent effect is perfect!  I would love to make one of these and would be very pleased if it tuned out as well as yours.  I can’t understand why the WNW moulds haven’t re-surfaced somewhere else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

That’s a beautiful model, you’ve really captured the fragility of early aircraft and the translucent effect is perfect!  I would love to make one of these and would be very pleased if it tuned out as well as yours.  I can’t understand why the WNW moulds haven’t re-surfaced somewhere else.

Thank you .

I doubt that we will ever see the moulds resurface. Wingnut Wings was a private company and does not need to sell off it's assets to cover any debts, among other reasons. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think the chances are slim to zero.

Cheers

John

25 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thank you .

I doubt that we will ever see the moulds resurface. Wingnut Wings was a private company and does not need to sell off it's assets to cover any debts, among other reasons. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think the chances are slim to zero.

Cheers

John

I fear you’re right but they must have had offers.  With the Uschi wood decals did you put anything over them such as an oil filter or clear orange/yellow?  The wood finish is excellent.