Renault Turbo 5 Gr. 4/Gr.B Tour de Course

I have managed to buy some poor kits lately. And one of those is Heller Turbo 5 rally car. 

Somehow I have liked always this small car. One of these was also in Finland and was at one stage driven by Jarmo Kytölehto. Of course this was not best tool in Finland forest stages.

Originally car was done for Group 4, but was transferred to Group B when this became major class in rallying. During season 1982 factory called these Gr.4 cars even there was Gr.B homologation existing.

400 cars were built in Dieppe factory to meet original homologation need. More cars were later built and for this kind of homologation special car was quite common.

Factory was competing in selected events and there was never full commitment for full series. Car was able win some races anyhow.

1 49ème Rallye Automobile de Monte-Carlo1981 Jean Ragnotti Jean-Marc Andrié Renault 5 Turbo

2 26éme Tour de Corse1982 Jean Ragnotti Jean-Marc Andrié Renault 5 Turbo

3 29ème Tour De Corse1985 Jean Ragnotti Jean-Marc Andrié Renault R5 Maxi Turbo

4 20º Rallye de Portugal Vinho do Porto1986 Joaquim Moutinho Edgar Fortes Renault 5 Turbo

Of course last win was after factory cars were withdrawn after accident and this was private car.

So I will build car presenting -82 Tour de Course winner. This project will take a time because there will be some work related issues that need time.

In Tour de Course factory prepared four cars and these had 1397cc engine that produced 265hp and car weighted only 915kg. So it was very handy for this kind of event.

Also Tour de Course was first event where factory participated in world championship level that year. And competition from other manufactures was also serious. Factory teams were from

Audi, Lancia and Opel. Also fast private Porsches were in entry list as well BMW M1. Also Ferrari 308's were there and these were surprisingly fast.

Route was 1600km and 27 special stages. So this was real rallying in those days.

T9LfpDk.jpg

Moulding of the parts is quite ok no flash and little mould seams. But parts are mix of something from rally car and civil version and there is no full roll cage.

Dash just don't look right so this must be rebuilt too. Also doors are opening ones, but what is inside of the doors doesen't look realistic. So these will need some work.

In this period door panels were still in place so what is inside the doors is really not accurate. And most of parts in under bonnet is also missing. Like parts for steering and brakes.

Also radiator in front is missing.

18wkUZ3.jpg

Detail level of suspension is nicely said rude. And these need to be rebuilt. I just haven't managed find good photos so far. Mainly what is needed are new dampers and springs.

Also new drive shafts are needed. Those just don't exist in this kit.

wnjh7Vn.jpg

Seats are clearly meant for civil car and I need to find some replacement and fill holes in floor.

DVUrGcT.jpg

Basic parts for Engine are somehow usable. In photos it's clearly visible heat shield between engine and exhaust/turbo installation, but this so much out of scale.

9v9J3L1.jpg

But this is hobby and making these corrections is part of this. I am happy that I have at least starting point for this build. I want get also get Maxi version to my collection, but need to search some of those resin kits. And those cost some serious money.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I want get also get Maxi version to my collection, but need to search some of those resin kits. And those cost some serious money.

Belkits have announced one as a future release Vesa.

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead with this one, I'll follow with interest. 

Keith

• Like 1