RAF F-4J Phantom II

21 hours ago, David Mooney said:

Thanks for your comments, could I ask what the problem is with the missiles? I cant change these but good to have critique to improve the next one.

Hi, yes no problem.

The F4J(UK)'s were in use when the missiles loaded were Skyflash and AIM-9L Sidewinders. The Sidewinders supplied with the model are AIM-9E's with the extended seeker nose, the RAF have never used them. 9L's are coloured light ghost grey on the body and wings, anodised metal on the seeker nose and fins. Skyflash are light aircraft grey on the body, wings and fins. The nose is ceramic, so an off white colour. They also have 4 longitudinal lines towards the nose that are proximity sensors. White painted missiles are AIM-7 Sparrows that had been relegated to training firings and war reserve by that time.

Hope that helps for the future, because your work is fantastic.

Rob.

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Hi, yes no problem.

The F4J(UK)'s were in use when the missiles loaded were Skyflash and AIM-9L Sidewinders. The Sidewinders supplied with the model are AIM-9E's with the extended seeker nose, the RAF have never used them. 9L's are coloured light ghost grey on the body and wings, anodised metal on the seeker nose and fins. Skyflash are light aircraft grey on the body, wings and fins. The nose is ceramic, so an off white colour. They also have 4 longitudinal lines towards the nose that are proximity sensors. White painted missiles are AIM-7 Sparrows that had been relegated to training firings and war reserve by that time.

Hope that helps for the future, because your work is fantastic.

Rob.

Cheers Rob,

The 'skyflash' underneath were paint a light grey, but the picture i had of one was labelled as a skyflash but its possible it was labelled in error and was a Sparrow....#nightmare. 

Hands up on the AIM-9's, I knew they wasn't quite as accurate as id have liked.

Thanks for the critique as it does help me improve my builds and get them more accurate. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2021 at 12:11 PM, David Mooney said:

painted with Gunze paints

I'd be interested to know which paints you did use as those colours look very good for the tricky F-4J(UK). An excellent model all round.

5 hours ago, Cellarfrog said:

Hello David. Great outdoor photography! May I ask what size base you used to put the model on? It is very effective, but looks to be a large(r) base?

thanks for any info!

Best eefards

CF

The base is made on a 600 x 600mm insulation floor tile as a base. I cut/scored the concrete sections first and then covered it with a pva and a dusting of filler and grout to give it texture, then painted afterwards. Hope that helps 🙂 

4 hours ago, Filler said:

I'd be interested to know which paints you did use as those colours look very good for the tricky F-4J(UK). An excellent model all round.

I tend to stick to Gunze paints where its possible, so i went for GS C334 (plus a bit of clear green) CC335 and C332 for this build

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Impressive work and great photography David!  :clap2: The "sun in the background" photo is just gorgeous man!  :worthy:

Getting 'that' shot always seems to make things look.......maybe the sunsetting takes peoples eyes away the minor errors lol

Thanks all 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, David Mooney said:

I tend to stick to Gunze paints where its possible, so i went for GS C334 (plus a bit of clear green) CC335 and C332 for this build

Clear green? That’s a bit of genius. I shall try that. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Filler said:

Clear green? That’s a bit of genius. I shall try that. Thanks.

I did go through a 'trail and error' stage with other solid colours and then the clear green idea popped into my head to try...and it seemed to look better. These J's came looking remarkably different to each other so it's more a case of adding what you need to get what you want.

Of note, for the radome on 'Echo' the closest match I could get was Halfords grey primer but again they varied in service and time period.

• Thanks 1

Spectacular model, like most other posters I did a double take thinking it was the real deal! The burnt metal effects around the exhausts in particular are masterfully done.