Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

Oh cripes, more examples for me to put into the "why do I bother" jar. It's getting quite full. :( One day, I tell myself, I'll be able to do like that. One day. :) That really is a bit good Giorgio, a bit very very good. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2021 at 00:14, corsaircorp said:

Really great job Mr G

I was about to ask  for the oyumaru before buying some ot it...

As I can see, we use the same Silicone and resin...

I finally select the brand Voss Chemie, I think it's a dutch stuff..

That will Phantastics Phantoms !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  More Oyumaru experimenting done, see below :) 

On 25/05/2021 at 04:24, stevehnz said:

Oh cripes, more examples for me to put into the "why do I bother" jar. It's getting quite full. :( One day, I tell myself, I'll be able to do like that. One day. :) That really is a bit good Giorgio, a bit very very good. 👍

Steve.

Cheers Steve, thank you - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Alright, little progress made on these. The next step for the seamless intakes procedure on the Hase kit consists in gluing the front and back half fuselages together; before doing this, I wanted to complete some other tasks on them while they were still separated, for ease of handling. One of these tasks is to make room for the Aires exhaust cans:

exhausts1

For which I needed to remove the areas marked in next pic

exhausts2

So after some plastic chopping...

exhausts3

exhausts4

I think there's room enough, now :) 

I also wanted to add the switches/fuses box on the starboard back-seater starboard cockpit side, copying it form the Monogram kit; so out came the Oyumaru, and while I was at it, I did use it to try and replicate a few other details:

switches1

This time I used white Milliput as casting media, but it turned out to be quite impractical for this size of things - too brittle to handle and I didn't push it in the moulds well enough, so some bits had gaps. I will probably reuse the slat hinges moulds to try and cast them in resin. For the switches panels, I resorted to copying them with a piece of kitchen alu foil burnished on the details I wanted to copy, filling then its backside in with a mix of CA and flour. Here glued in place on the HASE fuselage, but I did just the same on the FM one

switches2

The rest of the WE modelling time was spent on the Mustang build. All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, giemme said:

copying them with a piece of kitchen alu foil burnished on the details I wanted to copy, filling then its backside in with a mix of CA and flour.

Now that's a great tip G - I've tried the burnishing foil idea before but always managed to squash the copies while trying to fit them - it never occured to me to fill the backs with the CA/flour mix! So, thanks muchly for that! :)

K

• Like 2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

n. For the switches panels, I resorted to copying them with a piece of kitchen alu foil burnished on the details I wanted to copy, filling then its backside in with a mix of CA and flour. Here glued in place on the HASE fuselage, but I did just the same on the FM one

switches2

I must agree that’s a brilliant idea. I’ll store that one in the data banks. 
Great chopping G. 🙌

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Now that's a great tip G - I've tried the burnishing foil idea before but always managed to squash the copies while trying to fit them - it never occured to me to fill the backs with the CA/flour mix! So, thanks muchly for that! :)

K

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:  I had used this method before, but normally to produce a quick mould rather than casting a replica itself; when doing that, I just needed to pour CA over the foil while still in place, and just wait for it to set. IN this case, I had to be very careful in removing it without deforming it, and then filling the opposite side with CA + flour. HTH

6 hours ago, hendie said:

Nice butchering G.  

Thanks Alan, more to come! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I must agree that’s a brilliant idea. I’ll store that one in the data banks. 
Great chopping G. 🙌

Johnny

Cheers Johnny, thank you :thumbsup:

• Like 3

G, again, impressive results with your wing molds.  Did you use a pressure pot?  Will also store the switch box idea for another build.  BTW your Mustang build is coming along nicely as well... Best, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
grammer
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Another fine idea from you Giorgio, will place into storage for later.

Some great detailing going on there.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, again, impressive results with your wing molds.  Did you use a pressure pot?  Will also store the switch box idea for another build.  BTW your Mustang build is coming along nicely as well... Best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thanks! :thumbsup: I actually used a vacuum chamber, both for the RTV (before and after pouring it) and for the resin.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 2:04 AM, giemme said:

I actually used a vacuum chamber, both for the RTV (before and after pouring it) and for the resin.

Outstanding results. Home made or commercial pots?

Gene K

• Thanks 2

On 6/3/2021 at 7:31 AM, Gene K said:

Gene K

Could not agree more with @Gene K, I would like to know too as you have got me addicted casting--although I dont have a pressure pot and am growing more comfortable with the medium by the build...  as always, amazing work--best, Erwin

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
grammer
  • Thanks 1

On 01/06/2021 at 09:29, Biggles87 said:

Intakes looking er- seamless.

Keep up the good work.

John

Thanks John :thumbsup: 

On 03/06/2021 at 13:31, Gene K said:

Gene K

Thank you Gene :thumbsup: Apologies, I should have explained better: I use a professional vacuum chamber machine (it's what my company produces), the kind used to pack food, like this one:

https://www.valko.com/en/products/chamber+vacuum+packaging+machines/1410v126/34

4 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Could not agree more with @Gene K, I would like to know too as you have got me addicted casting--although I dont have a pressure pot and am growing more comfortable with the medium by the build...  as always, amazing work--best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin :thumbsup:  See above for the vacuum machine. 

Where were we? LAst few things before completing the seamless intakes job. How about some ribbing on the cockpit sidewalls? 

First: tracing

ribbing1

then scribing...

ribbing2

then gluing in thin strips of plasticard

ribbing3

then, once cured, refining them to a suitable size

ribbing4

I used some stretched clear sprue, sanded to a square profile, to make the pressure gauge glazing

pressure_gauge6

Then eventually I glued the front and back fuselage halves

seamless_intakes14

I also enlarged the holes where to fit the intake back plate, so as to be able to properly align the panel lines.

Intakes glued in:

seamless_intakes15

The key thing here is to align the panel lines, which in turn leaves you with a noticeable step on top of the intakes themselves - typical of all HASE kits in this scale. Judicious sanding will bring the top sides flush.

Slowly working on both tubs too, adding some cabling to the  bulkheads

cockpit6

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 24

On 6/7/2021 at 1:36 AM, hendie said:

Small but delicate detailing. Impressive

My thoughts in a nutshell :D

On 6/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, giemme said:

I should have explained better: I use a professional vacuum chamber machine (it's what my company produces),

Just stick one in the post for me G - I’ll PM you the address (mates rates obviously) but don’t go telling the hoi polloi - them’s the sorts that’d seek to take advantage of a chaps good nature  :whistle: :D  And defo don’t tell Ced.

• Haha 8

On 07/06/2021 at 02:36, hendie said:

Small but delicate detailing. Impressive.  

Thanks Alan :thumbsup: I feel like it's taking ages to progress on these builds, though.... 🐌

22 hours ago, Zorglub said:

A great pleasure to follow.
These changes are a great challenge,  the detailing is another challenge and so nice.
Thanks for your sharing.

Thank you Cristophe. much appreciated :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Fritag said:

My thoughts in a nutshell :D

Just stick one in the post for me G - I’ll PM you the address (mates rates obviously) but don’t go telling the hoi polloi - them’s the sorts that’d seek to take advantage of a chaps good nature  :whistle: :D  And defo don’t tell Ced.

Thank you, Steve :thumbsup: And fear not, it will be our little secret. Ooops... too late for that, maybe :rofl:  :rofl: Well, think of it as your pro bono, will you? :D 

Ciao

• Haha 1

On 09/06/2021 at 17:49, corsaircorp said:

More detailling ideas....

Very nice and tidy job Maestro G !!

I'm learning !!

CC

Cheers Alain, thank you :thumbsup:

I'm afraid there's not much to report about this build this time - busy week and busy WE :shrug: 

I just managed a little progress on the seamless intakes for the HASE kit; bending the front end to slide them in

seamless_intakes17

here in the final position

seamless_intakes18

Seen from upfront 

seamless_intakes19

and after some work with a big cocktail stick to make the scratch built intake to conform to the kit intake walls

seamless_intakes20

Then I glued the outer lips to the outer edge of the kit intakes

seamless_intakes21

Noe they need to cure properly, before I remove the excess and start blending them in.

That's all for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 19

On 14/06/2021 at 00:28, hendie said:

Lovely cocktail stickers Giorgio.  A lot of effort but the end result will be worth it I'm sure

Thanks Alan :thumbsup: Gene's seamless intakes method has been tried and tested, the end result is totally worth it. See this pic as an example, from my F-4C build

27877532371_02c1036815_b.jpg

On 14/06/2021 at 00:48, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful work. Everything you do is just so….,.so neat and tidy. I love it. 😇

Johnny

Thank you Johnny, that's a huge compliment! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 9

Hi everybody; not much to report this week too, most of my modelling time went into my P-51D museum project. I did manage some time on this tonight, again on the seamless intakes for the HASE kit.

I removed the excess plastic and filed it to match the outer intake edge:

seamless_intakes22

Port side I had to add some sprue gloop to fill in a few holes left by a not perfect gluing job

seamless_intakes23

Both edges have some grey plastic showing through, but that's just fine, because they are going to be painted with the relevant camo color.

Here's a quick dryfit of the resin splitter plates:

seamless_intakes24

seamless_intakes25

There's some PPP along the inner bottom edge of both intakes; I had to use it because I didn't align the seamless trunking with the kit part properly - I still need to remove some of the PPP though.

Right, as soon as the sprue gloop has cured, I'll refine the bottom edge of the port intake and that will be sorted. Next task is starting to figure out the modifications needed for the FM IPs, so that I can get on par with the HASE and start painting the cockpits - actually, the HASE IPs need some work too, especially the RIO one, since I intend to add the cabling coming out from the back side.

That's it for the day, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 21

G, just catching up--great work--really like how you are combining the Fine Molds/Hasegawa efforts--really demonstrates the strengths of both kits--it was great to see SANDY BAY-BEE come out to inform the dialogue🙌  Glad to see this work of art is doing well... best, Erwin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1