Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

On 26/02/2023 at 16:18, Massimo said:

WOW!!!!

I love the way you treat the canopies on all your builds!!!

Unbeliavable!!!!

On 26/02/2023 at 19:21, The Spadgent said:

Agreed! Lovely details there Giorgio. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny

Cheers Massimo and Johnny, thanks! :thumbsup:

On 26/02/2023 at 19:44, hendie said:

Lovely detailing G... almost makes me want to do a plank wing.

Almost I said.

Go on, you know you want to.... :D  :D  

On 26/02/2023 at 19:57, keefr22 said:

Absolutely - and your scratchbuild ones really look the part G!   :)

Off to have a look at your Jug build!

K

Thanks Keith, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

On 26/02/2023 at 21:55, Cookenbacher said:

Great update Giorgio, and stunning canopy work!

On 27/02/2023 at 07:23, CedB said:

Seconded!

On 27/02/2023 at 07:44, Biggles87 said:

Thirded!

Thanks guys, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 27/02/2023 at 08:50, Terry1954 said:

Some great updates since I last looked Giorgio. Nice tank and cockpit work.

Terry

On 28/02/2023 at 10:25, perdu said:

What them lot says.

👍

Thank you Terry and Bill! :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Just caught up with this build Giorgio, and looks like all is well.

Keep up the great work mate.

Simon

Cheers Simon, thank you! :thumbsup:

I've been doing some more work on this during the week, in terms of masking the main AC and prepping various bits for a first black base coat - picture to come soon, tonight or tomorrow night, probably. Stay tuned :) 

Ciao

• Like 4

Good evening everybody - I know I promised some pics earlier in the week, but I got caught up with things and yesterday went skiing again, so... :shrug:  :D

Anyway, I managed some progress today (in fact, we have paint! :yahoo: ) , so here it is:

outer wings glued in and cockpit masked 

fm_outerwings13

I also glued in the spine blade antenna - hoping that it will stay there till the end of the build :fingerscrossed:  The antenna itself came from the Hasegawa kit, since there were none of the appropriate shape in the FM boxing 

fm_spineantenna1

More masking for the intakes

fm_masking1

fm_masking2

and underneath, the U/C bays and auxiliary air intakes

fm_masking3

So, mid-week I had this lot of bits (and the main AC) ready for a base coat

fm_painting1

Just like I did with the Hasegawa kit, I airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black as primer/base coat

fm_painting2

fm_painting3

fm_painting4

Then I decided to paint the radar cone first, as I figured it will be easier to mask that and paint the camo rather than viceversa (what with the bird slicers and the gun in the way?)

fm_painting5

I airbrushed Tamiya Sky Grey for this; it may seem a bit on the bright/light side, but after a gloss coat it will darken quite a bit. Should look good with the rest of the scheme.

This is now curing properly, then I'll gloss coat it, mask it and start with the camouflage scheme. Next time, though :winkgrin: 

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 20

22 minutes ago, giemme said:

yesterday went skiing again,

What! You're starting to remind me of Steve @Fritag 🤔

Wonderful update Georgio, paint as well 🤸‍♂️!

Looking so slick.

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

G, amazing build--really enjoyed catching up.  I always love how you methodically organize everything for painting--I also really enjoyed how you sorted out the wing tanks.  Maybe it is worth making a mold of the old Monogram tanks.  That all said, I am totally with you, when the slopes call my name, the progress at the bench or online suffers!  Best, Erwin  

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:42 PM, giemme said:

and yesterday went skiing again,

What? Without a plane-ride and a 3 hour road transfer…. Doesn’t seem fair somehow :D

On 3/6/2023 at 2:59 AM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

I always love how you methodically organize everything for painting

Me too. Something I aspire to do but lack the organisational ability and patience to actually do….

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

What? Without a plane-ride and a 3 hour road transfer…. Doesn’t seem fair somehow :D

Me too. Something I aspire to do but lack the organisational ability and patience to actually do….

Fritag, I wonder if our workbenches could count as modern art 😜  Best, Erwin

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2023 at 23:07, Terry1954 said:

What! You're starting to remind me of Steve @Fritag 🤔

Wonderful update Georgio, paint as well 🤸‍♂️!

Looking so slick.

Terry

Thanks Terry! :thumbsup:  But Steve's average skiing time is a lot more than mine... :D 

On 06/03/2023 at 03:05, Cookenbacher said:

That is so cool Giorgio!

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup:  Great to hear from you, are you working too much? :winkgrin:

On 06/03/2023 at 03:59, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, amazing build--really enjoyed catching up.  I always love how you methodically organize everything for painting--I also really enjoyed how you sorted out the wing tanks.  Maybe it is worth making a mold of the old Monogram tanks.  That all said, I am totally with you, when the slopes call my name, the progress at the bench or online suffers!  Best, Erwin  

🎿  :D Thanks Erwin! :thumbsup:

On 06/03/2023 at 10:15, cpoud117 said:

Fantastic work, your cockpit looks very impressive.

Thanks, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 07/03/2023 at 16:43, Spookytooth said:

Ah, adding paint now.

She looks great sir.

Simon.

It was about time, wasn't it? :D  Thanks Simon, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 07/03/2023 at 19:56, Fritag said:

That specific place is only a little more than one hour drive from home, but the nearest place for me to go skiing is actually a mere 45 minutes away.... :winkgrin:

All in all, I can be almost anywhere in the Italian Alps in less than 4 hours.... :whistle:

On 07/03/2023 at 22:50, Massimo said:

WOW!!!

Paint time!!!!

The primer coat shows avery smooth finish everywhere and details are superb!!!

You've done your homework !

I'll be enjoying the paint sessions!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Grazie Massimo , glad you like it! :thumbsup: Finish not so smooth, however, see below ...

On 08/03/2023 at 04:06, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Fritag, I wonder if our workbenches could count as modern art 😜  Best, Erwin

Don't kid yourself, mine looks like a hand bomb has just exploded on it - only that I leave that part out of pics :rofl: 

Off we go for this update: the black coat showed some remedial work to be done in the central canopy frame area. See that step?

fm_painting6

It's not there on the other side

fm_painting7

I decided to go with PPP to fix it: applied

fm_painting8

sanded back

fm_painting9

and re-painted

fm_painting10

Still not perfect, but I'll do the final touch up later on, when the camouflage painting is done.

Anyway, the nose cone received a protective clear gloss coat, prior to masking

fm_painting11

I then started airbrushing the camouflage, using Lifecolor UA113 - FS36307 as first color

fm_painting12

It was sprayed to leave a sort of marbling effect

fm_painting13

fm_painting14

The colored area on the tail fin isn't totally accurate, but most of it is going to be covered by the enormous special scheme decal :winkgrin:

fm_painting15

A couple of things about this specific paint: this is part of Lifecolor's camouflage range (this specific color goes also by the name of Italian Light Blue-grey) and, as most of the ones I tried, has a semi-gloss finish. Which also means that I needed to thin it not only with my usual water+IPA mix, but I had to add a few drop of Windex too, to keep it slightly thicker (avoiding spider webs) and still have it flow properly through my trusty PROCON BOY 270.

After a few hours curing, I gloss coated the grey areas, and the model is now ready for worm-masking with blue tack. Next time though; meanwhile, all comments are welcome :) 

Ciao

• Like 18

If you can master Lifecolor acrilics and don't get them stuck in the airbrush , then I'll be following your tips as I've always had problems with these colours!!!

By the way she looks great!!!

I'll be waiting for the next steps.

Ciao 

Massimo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks close to amazing already G, PPPhuh?

Proud of you for attempting to fix anything with it.

I do love the detail on this kit, lovely.

(No comment on skiing, if I can't sit down in a vehicle I am not going.  Strapping two halves of my transport to my feet would kill me.)

• Haha 5

On 12/03/2023 at 23:53, Terry1954 said:

Paint application coming along nicely Giorgio. Very interested to see how the Greek grey/blue scheme (assuming I have that right) is developing.

Terry.

Thanks Terry! :thumbsup:  It's called the GHOST scheme (yes, you have it right) and it's a three-tone camouflage. See below for the second color :winkgrin:

On 13/03/2023 at 03:08, Massimo said:

If you can master Lifecolor acrilics and don't get them stuck in the airbrush , then I'll be following your tips as I've always had problems with these colours!!!

By the way she looks great!!!

I'll be waiting for the next steps.

Ciao 

Massimo

Thanks Massimo! :thumbsup: You should really try with my mix: water, IPA (also foundin Italy premixed uunder the name of "alcool puro bianco) and Vetril (Windex for you English speaking folks :D ) - it works wonders and not only prevents the paint from clogging the airbrush, but you also get a lot of control on the flow.

On 13/03/2023 at 09:06, perdu said:

That looks close to amazing already G, PPPhuh?

Proud of you for attempting to fix anything with it.

I do love the detail on this kit, lovely.

(No comment on skiing, if I can't sit down in a vehicle I am not going.  Strapping two halves of my transport to my feet would kill me.)

Cheers Bill, thank you :thumbsup: Looks like the PPP fix worked well - so far, at least 🤞

On 13/03/2023 at 10:53, Spookytooth said:

Looking good my dear Giorgio.

I must get back to the bench and finish off my Mustang, it`s been a while.

Take care.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: Looks like I did inspire you to get back to the bench :D 

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I found this recently Giorgio, you may be interested.........

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2023/03/read-n-reviewed-70-years-commemorating.html#more

There are some great pictures of Greek F-4's in the review.

Terry

Thanks Terry! :thumbsup: Luckily, I have plenty of ref pics from a book that Silvano @phantom61 kindly lent me, dedicated to HAF Phantoms. It is published by Eagle Aviation too, just like the one in your link.

Alright, on with the paint job; before airbrushing the second camouflage color, I completed the metallic painting on the stabilators, airbrushing MMM Burnt metal on the central sections

fm_painting16

Then I airbrushed an Aqua Gloss protective coat and masked, prior to airbrushing Lifecolor UA145 - FS35327

fm_painting17

fm_painting18

I sort of sprayed it only on the areas painted with that color, but subsequent masking will define them better. I did the same on the airbrakes

fm_painting19

Then I masked the main aircraft with blue tack worms and cling film (I read about the latter in @The Spadgent thread, I don't remember who mentioned it - anyway, it worked brilliantly!) and airbrushed with the same "marbling" effect I used for the first color:

fm_painting20

fm_painting21

fm_painting22

fm_painting23

Back canopy done too

fm_painting24

All waiting for a gloss clear protective coat, but I've literally just finished spraying this, so it will have to cure overnight first.

Meanwhile, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 11

The marble effect looks great. I take it this is three tone camo? 🤔 I don’t think I have ever done more than two myself. Hmmm I should remedy that. Spot on work with the step removal too. You make it look so easy*

Johnny.

*even though it isn’t. 🙌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1