Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Great update, worth the wait.

John. 🇺🇦

Cheers John, thanks! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nice update. We've been waiting!     :)

What glue did you use on the windscreen? 

I used Tamiya Extra Thin, like I always do with clear styrene parts. But this time it got back to me and bit me :banghead:

I should have really done like you said, but not only for the reason you mentioned; I think the TeT crept inside by capillarity (windshield almost touching the IP coaming) and made its way up the windshield internal surface, frosting a part of it.

Well, you live and learn - thanks for mentioning that method :thumbsup: 

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking update G, your paintwork is fantastic! 

Looking forward to seeing the finished Toom next weekend then....!! :)

K

Thanks Keith, stay tuned :D  :thumbsup: 

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Fantastic update Giorgio. She's really looking the part, and the cockpit and IP look mega great.

I'm looking forward to the Greek one coming back online also!

Terry

Thanks Terry :thumbsup: About time to resume work on the HAF Phantom :winkgrin:

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A fine repertoire of techniques and processes in those last two updates Giorgio. I  particularly like those warm hues on the air brakes - a very rich accent.

Thank you Tony, much appreciated! :thumbsup:  Oddly enough, those hues on the airbrakes almost came by themselves: it's all down to black basing, black tempera wash and an airbrushed flat clear coat. I'm more and more a fan of black basing now :) 

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

As always, excellent work going on here.  Can’t wait to see her in the RFI section. 

Thanks Bill :thumbsup:  I think I can complete it by next WE, but RFI pics is another business, they will have to wait a bit .... :shrug:  :D

Ciao

• Like 4

On 07/11/2022 at 09:56, perdu said:

I'm with Bill there can't wait to see it RFId, s'lurvely Giorgio.

On 08/11/2022 at 15:11, Spookytooth said:

Very nice work there Giorgio.

I cannot wait to see her in RFI.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Cheers Bill and Simon, thank you! :thumbsup: No RFI yet, but the model is now complete, and there's a few pics at the bottom of this post. RFI most likely next WE :winkgrin:

On 08/11/2022 at 17:41, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, amazing work—really looking fwd to how this all comes together—best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin! :thumbsup:  See below...

On 12/11/2022 at 18:07, Cookenbacher said:

That looks so much like the real thing - did you borrow @Fritag's shrink ray? You can be honest.

I wish I had one! And a 3D scanner! And.... :rofl: 

Thanks Cookie, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

Alright, the first of the two models is complete  - as a quick recap, this is from the HASEGAWA kit and built as a Turkish Air Force F-4E upgraded to the "SIMSESK" (Lightning) standard in 2010. The airframe arrived in Turkey coming from the 110 TFS, 131 TFW Missouri ANG. The SIMSEK upgrade has nothing to do with the TERMINATOR upgrade, which was performed on a different set of airframes.

Back to the model, the last few steps included installing all the hanging out bits (apologies, I forgot to take pictures of the finished AIM9s :shrug: )

hase_finishing21

The tail chute door was also glued in, and a piece of an old cotton rag dipped into Tamiya Deck Tan inserted in the tail aperture, to represent the chute itself

hase_finishing22

I didn't quite like it, the texture and thread was way too visible, so I replaced it with a Styrofoam ball - this time painted with Lifecolor Sand Yellow, as I feared the Tamiya paint would have dissolved the Styrofoam

hase_finishing26

Canopies and nose pitot went on as well (all glued with tiny drops of CA)

hase_finishing23

And here are a few more shots of the completed model

hase_finishing24

hase_finishing25

hase_finishing27

hase_finishing28

hase_finishing30

Can you see the seamless intakes? What do you mean "no"?

How about now?

hase_finishing29

Still not very visible, uh? :D  :D  

I'll take some pics with a direct light in them for the RFI :winkgrin:

Ready to go back to the FM kit, now! :) 

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Phantastic Phantom (well someone had to!) G, really lovely build, just as expected from your workbench! :)

And it has canopy latch hooks! Apologies for maybe not noticing before, but for some reason the lack of them on Phantom models is one of my main bugbears, and to see them in 1/72 brings joy to my heart....!! :nodding:

Beautiful work Giorgio!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She's an absolute stunner Giorgio. Good call on the drogue chute, the styrofoam looks better IMHO.

Perhaps in the RFI we can gets some close ups of those AIM-9's, as they look soooo cool!

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 13/11/2022 at 21:02, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow ! 

On 13/11/2022 at 21:11, perdu said:

What he says.

Oh wow it is above magical.

Thank Dennis and Bill, I'm glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

On 14/11/2022 at 13:20, phantom61 said:

beautiful work G
accurate as usual...

ciao Silvano

😍

Trying to follow the path of the masters, Silvano :winkgrin:  :thumbsup: 

On 14/11/2022 at 15:36, Fritag said:

Beautiful G.

It’s reached Giorgio levels of finishing delight.  Nuff said :D

Thank you Steve, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

On 14/11/2022 at 15:42, keefr22 said:

Phantastic Phantom (well someone had to!) G, really lovely build, just as expected from your workbench! :)

And it has canopy latch hooks! Apologies for maybe not noticing before, but for some reason the lack of them on Phantom models is one of my main bugbears, and to see them in 1/72 brings joy to my heart....!! :nodding:

Beautiful work Giorgio!

Keith

First prize for the Phantom ph-joke, Keith! :D  :D  Thank you for the praise! :thumbsup:

I'm with you about the canopy latch hook; even at this scale, not having them it's really diminishing. Luckily my friend Silvano @phantom61 provided some suitable PE for the FM model too :D  

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

This is my favourite angle. Just blown away but the detail. I don’t know why because your work is always this good. 👏👏👏👏 knocking out of the park dear boy. 🔥🔥🔥

Johnny. 

Way too kind, Johnny - thanks! :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

Looks absolutely gorgeous, and was a real pleasure to follow along

Thanks for tagging along, Mark :thumbsup: But this is far from being over yet, there's still the Finemolds one to complete :winkgrin:

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Another ‘Wow!’ from me, and I can see the seamless intakes. .🇺🇦

John. 

You're a man of my heart, John! :D  :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

She's an absolute stunner Giorgio. Good call on the drogue chute, the styrofoam looks better IMHO.

Perhaps in the RFI we can gets some close ups of those AIM-9's, as they look soooo cool!

Terry

Sure Terry, no problem - but I have to warn you, I've seen better as regards AIM9s :) Thank you :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 16:02, Spookytooth said:

She looks wonderful Giorgio, bloody wonderful mate.

Top job sir.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 18/11/2022 at 18:10, TheBaron said:

Immaculate.

Right down to the last.

Another wonderful example of the art and craft Giorgio.

(Or should that be 'The Art & Craft of Giorgio'? )😁

:D  Either way, thank you Tony, you are way too kind :thumbsup: 

On 19/11/2022 at 15:23, Chrisj2003 said:

Setting the bar for 1/72 Phantoms. Superb and educational. 

:goodjob:

Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 19/11/2022 at 16:31, Brandy said:

Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm not a Phantom phan but it's a perfect model!

Ian 

I have one WWI biplane in my stash, Ian - one day I'll make you happy and build it... :D  :D  Thanks for the praise :thumbsup:

On 21/11/2022 at 17:41, Serkan Sen said:

Phantastic build! I have the decal sheets both in 48 and 72 scales but till now I had no time to build any of them.  😞

Serkan

Thanks Serkan :thumbsup: It's a catchy scheme, isn't it? :winkgrin:

On 21/11/2022 at 19:42, Learstang said:

With all the others - brilliant job on the 'Double Ugly'!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Apologies, been a while since my last post here, but it's been a busy period, :shrug:

No RFI for the Turkish Spook yet; it keeps raining at the WE here and I need sunlight for proper pics; I wasn't quite ready for it anyway, since it was brought to my attention (thanks @Gene K  :winkgrin:) that with the drag chute door open and the chute in place, there should be a safety pin with an RBF tag attached to it. Now, of course this would imply having all the RBF tags and sensor coves in place, but that would mean hiding a lot of details, so I chose to represent a sort of in-between configuration, where the crew chief has already removed some protections and the pilot is going to step in for the pre-flight checks. This means that I put RBF tags on the chute, the drop tanks and the ordnance :)

Gene kindly provided a very clear pic of a Phantom tail with chute door open, and that showed a few details that I did miss, like a strap running horizontally across the packed chute and the chute color, being more of a green than a sand color. So there it is:

hase_finishing32

Before showing the other RBF tags, this is for @Terry1954, as requested :winkgrin:

hase_finishing31

Other tags

hase_finishing33

hase_finishing34

And there she is, actually completed

hase_finishing35

More tomorrow (probably), when works on the Hellenic F-4 have resumed :) 

Meanwhile, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 23

21 minutes ago, giemme said:

Before showing the other RBF tags, this is for @Terry1954, as requested :winkgrin:

hase_finishing31

I am honoured Giorgio, and what an absolutely superb looking sidewinder!

Everything about this build is a quality "Giorgio build" down to the tiniest details. Very much looking forward to seeing the Greek bird coming back on line. Both very inspirational builds.

I'm actually sitting here supping a cuppa and eyeing up my little stash of 1/72 F-4's and feel some temptation to start one soon, but I promised myself I must first finish a couple of long standing builds, and then treat myself to a 1/48 build of something!

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1