Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

23 hours ago, Brandy said:

If I remember correctly (it is a bit of a blur!) said Regimental goat succumbed to injuries received after being rear-ended by a chili and beer fuelled parrot.

@corsaircorp may have had something to do with it.....

Ian

Hello Ian,

It was in a @Martian's house watching party....

That's a lot of an apology M'Lurd !!

Now the most famed goat Mascot was Billy the goat, registered in 609 Sdqn....

So, if I find a 1/48 goat.....

CC

• Haha 3

G, will join the parade of awe—I really like how the shading and top coats come together—impressive!  Dumb question, and apologies if I missed it, is there a thinning ratio you like to use when creating a random top coat—as always, well done!  Best, Erwin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 15:48, Brandy said:

Lovely paintwork though Giorgio, very nice indeed!

Ian

Cheers Ian, thanks! :thumbsup:

On 27/05/2022 at 20:47, Johnson said:

Finally caught up with you Giorgio, great work with the paint!

Cheers,

Thanks Charlie, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

On 29/05/2022 at 15:10, CedB said:

Great paintwork Giorgio - coming together really well :) 

Thank you Ced, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 30/05/2022 at 09:54, Fritag said:

Nice update G.  I’m determined to give this painting lark another go myself one of these days; It’ll lack a certain Italian flair tho’ :D

I wouldn't worry about the "Italian flair"- just make sure you can find your airbrush, Heaven knows when you last saw it..... :D :rofl: 

On 30/05/2022 at 15:15, The Spadgent said:

All caught up Giorgio. Looking splendid in her coat of many colours. Hues. 😇

excellent progress. 😎

Johnny

Hoy! :rofl: But yes, it's all grey hues and some black, I'll have to admit that ..... :D Thanks for the praise, mate! :thumbsup:

On 01/06/2022 at 00:39, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, will join the parade of awe—I really like how the shading and top coats come together—impressive!  Dumb question, and apologies if I missed it, is there a thinning ratio you like to use when creating a random top coat—as always, well done!  Best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin, glad you like it! :thumbsup: I couldn't tell you a precise thinning ratio, as I pretty much eyeball it, but for this kind of job you want a thinner paint than usual, spraying at low pressure and in thin lines.

To all the party guys (you know who you are!  ) I will get to Telford eventually, and then we will see.... :rofl:  :rofl: 

Alright, fixing the camouflage: first the bottom side - it got masked and airbrushed with the lighter grey hue

hase_camo21

hase_camo22

That's more like it :) 

Then the nose area: I first resprayed the lighter grey hue

hase_camo20

hase_camo23

This way, it was a lot easier to mask the round part of the darker grey towards the radome - which I did (and forgot to take pics :banghead: ) and here it is after respraying and an overall protective gloss coat

hase_camo24

hase_camo25

Underneath

hase_camo26

As anticipated, the gloss coat made the dark grey darker - as it was supposed to be. Now the radome and the gun fairing, that needed to be painted black; masking:

hase_camo27

hase_camo28

I didn't need to be very precise here, because there's going to be the sharkmouth decal in that area. Anyway, after airbrushing Tamiya Flat Black:

hase_camo29

hase_camo30

Now I need to gloss coat it, tackle the metallic area on the tail, paint the stabilators and all the sparse bits (most of which are still on their sprue.... ).

And I have the FM one to bring on par with this... 😓 

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Another great update Giorgio. I very much admire your thorough, methodical and expert approach to paint, layer by layer. Top stuff!

................. and ever considerate to your fellow modellers. as well ....

55 minutes ago, giemme said:

I wouldn't worry about the "Italian flair"- just make sure you can find your airbrush, Heaven knows when you last saw it..... :D

sage words there for you Steve @Fritag ......  🤣

Terry

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks Erwin, glad you like it! :thumbsup: I couldn't tell you a precise thinning ratio, as I pretty much eyeball it, but for this kind of job you want a thinner paint than usual, spraying at low pressure and in thin lines

Thanks G & great update!  Cheers Erwin 

• Thanks 1

Lovely paint job Giorgio and I agree with comments on your patient approach.

Someday I may try it myself… :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

What did Lamborghini paint - cars?  😜

Tractors, I mean Agri ones....

CC

Stunning work  Mr G !!

Still I'm a bit jealous of your skills !!

Can't wait to see the sharmouth !! 🦈🦈🦈

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lovely paint work. 

On 02/06/2022 at 20:21, giemme said:

hase_camo26

This shot Looks like a space ship from the seventies. Amazing!!!!! And not one but two protective gloss coats. Ahem @CedB. Just sayin’😯😉

Johnny. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 21:43, billn53 said:

Aaaaaaahhh!!! 🙂 Paint!!! And beautiful paint it is!!! I can almost smell it from here . . . .

:D  :D  Thanks Bill! :thumbsup: 

On 02/06/2022 at 22:22, Terry1954 said:

Another great update Giorgio. I very much admire your thorough, methodical and expert approach to paint, layer by layer. Top stuff!

Cheers Terry, thank you - much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

On 03/06/2022 at 00:13, hendie said:

Nice, neat, masking Mr G. 

On 03/06/2022 at 06:56, Biggles87 said:

Seconded.

🇺🇦

Thank you Alan and John! :thumbsup:

On 03/06/2022 at 16:20, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Thanks G & great update!  Cheers Erwin 

No problem Erwin - and thanks for the comment! :thumbsup:

On 04/06/2022 at 13:24, CedB said:

Lovely paint job Giorgio and I agree with comments on your patient approach.

Someday I may try it myself… :) 

You may just :winkgrin:  Glad you like it, Ced :thumbsup:

On 05/06/2022 at 06:31, Cookenbacher said:

Great paint work Giorgio, a joy to watch.

Thanks Cookie, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

On 08/06/2022 at 10:00, keefr22 said:

Italian masters of painting - Michelangelo, Raphael, Ferrari, Lamborghini - and now Giorgio...!! :)

Lovely paintwork G, super stuff!

Keith

Way too kind, Keith! :thumbsup:

On 08/06/2022 at 23:34, corsaircorp said:

Stunning work  Mr G !!

Still I'm a bit jealous of your skills !!

Can't wait to see the sharmouth !! 🦈🦈🦈

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers Alain, thank you! :thumbsup:  Still a fair bit to do before the sharkmouth, but getting there... :winkgrin: :D  :thumbsup:

On 08/06/2022 at 23:49, The Spadgent said:

Lovely paint work. 

This shot Looks like a space ship from the seventies. Amazing!!!!! And not one but two protective gloss coats. Ahem @CedB. Just sayin’😯😉

Johnny. 

Thanks Johnny, now that you mention it she looks a bit of that! :D  :thumbsup:

Long time since last post, but last WE I was in Blighty, visiting the Old Buckenham Museum with the rest of the gang:

museum

Many of you have already seen this, but nonetheless: from left to right is Jim (the Museum curator and delightful host), @The Spadgent, @Fritag, @general melchett, @tomprobert right behind @CedB, @woody37 and yours truly (photo courtesy of @CedB)

We delivered our completed models to the museum and had a great day, with Jim being a gold mine of trivia and stories about the period, the aircraft and the crews flying them - not to mention his cave full of books, models, bits and bobs of WWII planes and uniforms and bicycles (yes!) and all.... It was great meeting all and a special thank you to Ced for arranging everything (and driving me around :winkgrin: ) and another to @tomprobert for lending me some superglue, which allowed me to fix my model, that had suffered from a heavy landing (a real one, the Ryanair flight I took to get there....) :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

I downloaded some pics of our models on my office PC, so I don't have them at hand now, but I'll post them next week.

I should also mention that I dove deep into British traditions, including a Full English Breakfast and the mandatory pub tour (in Norwich, had some great local ale!) :D 

Anyway, once back I had some 1:1 things to do in my spare time, such as assembling and installing this:

doccia

and some outdoor activities too: mowing my lawn and cleaning my pool

yard

Then today I was eventually able to sit at the bench; first task was to mask the Hase kit for wheel wells painting

hase_wheelwells1

While I was at it, the FM kit also needed some additional spraying inside the front wheel well:

fm_nosewheelwell1

After having airbrushed Tamiya Flat White:

fm_nosewheelwell2

hase_wheelwells2

Incidentally, the Hase kit had also received a protective gloss clear coat on the black nose. I then masked for metallics on the tail area

hase_metallics1

hase_metallics2

and called it a day - I need a fresh mind for spraying metallic paint :winkgrin: :D

All comments welcome, as usual.

Ciao

• Like 20

Congrats Mr G

Both for the museum trip and the Rhino !!

Well done too for the 1/1 works

And thanks for the Who's who.... I was about to ask for it... Clever guy you are....

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great update Giorgio, on all fronts!

Looks like a great day was had by the intrepid team of BMers, and Jim must have been very pleased with such excellent models.

Shower construction looks up to your usual high standard, lawn looks very tidy and I'm sure the pool is better for a clean. Mrs G no doubt pleased on those scores!

Oh look, we got some modelling too, with some nicely painted wheel wells! Wise man not to push ahead with metallics though at that point IMHO.

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic update G. Better than mine as it involves some actual modelling. 😀

Those wheel wells look Grand in white. There’s something lovely about a jet wheel well. 🤩 looking forward to the shiny tail. 

Johnny. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G, great to put faces to names.  Big question I have is if you have any airbrush tricks for your 1-1 builds😂. Seriously though, I am looking forward to how the bare metal afterburner area sorts out—I am confident it wil be amazing!  Best, Erwin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/06/2022 at 00:42, corsaircorp said:

Congrats Mr G

Both for the museum trip and the Rhino !!

Well done too for the 1/1 works

And thanks for the Who's who.... I was about to ask for it... Clever guy you are....

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup:  Museum trip was a lot of fun, catching up with 1:1 chores not so much ... :rofl: 

On 19/06/2022 at 08:27, Terry1954 said:

Great update Giorgio, on all fronts!

Looks like a great day was had by the intrepid team of BMers, and Jim must have been very pleased with such excellent models.

Shower construction looks up to your usual high standard, lawn looks very tidy and I'm sure the pool is better for a clean. Mrs G no doubt pleased on those scores!

Oh look, we got some modelling too, with some nicely painted wheel wells! Wise man not to push ahead with metallics though at that point IMHO.

T

Thanks Terry - Mrs G definitely appreciated the 1:1 stuff, especially the pool... :D 

On 19/06/2022 at 09:11, The Spadgent said:

Fantastic update G. Better than mine as it involves some actual modelling. 😀

Those wheel wells look Grand in white. There’s something lovely about a jet wheel well. 🤩 looking forward to the shiny tail. 

Johnny. 😀

Thanks Johnny! :thumbsup: Wait no more, see below :winkgrin:

On 20/06/2022 at 20:26, Spookytooth said:

All looking good from here Giorgio.

Glad you had a great time over here in Blighty.

The Full English and Ales, can`t be bad....

Stay safe.

Simon.

Full English and Ales definitely good, Simon :winkgrin: Thanks :thumbsup:

On 23/06/2022 at 15:42, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, great to put faces to names.  Big question I have is if you have any airbrush tricks for your 1-1 builds😂. Seriously though, I am looking forward to how the bare metal afterburner area sorts out—I am confident it wil be amazing!  Best, Erwin

See below for the bare metal area :winkgrin: And I do have an advice for 1:1 airbrushing: don't do that! :D  :D  

Alright, not much time for modelling last week, and a lot of heat too, so: I managed to spray the metallics on the tail, starting with AK Extreme Metal Steel:

hase_metallics3

hase_metallics4

Then some more masking and I could spray Model Master Metallizer Burnt Metal. Here it is, prior to buffing

hase_metallics5

and a few minutes later, right after buffing (I used cotton buds and a microfiber rag)

hase_metallics6

Then while unmasking I had a little mishap... :banghead: :wall:

hase_metallics7

I did put it back and re-glued using Gator's Grip. Anyway, the metallic tail after unmasking

hase_metallics8

A small overspray at the base of the fin (don't know how it got there ... :shrug: ). Also visible here

hase_metallics9

and some overspray on the bottom part too

hase_metallics10

Despite sealing the masking tape with Aqua Gloss, it did lift up during spraying - I guess I didn't stretched/burnished it down enough... rookie mistake, really :shrug: 

I fixed it by brush and airbrushed a protective Aqua Gloss coat on the whole area

hase_metallics11

hase_metallics12

And there she is, in her current state

hase_metallics13

I will have to do some detail painting, but she's basically ready for decals. Before that, though, I'm not entirely happy with the riveting I did on the stabilators, and since I have an F-4J Finemolds kit in my stash, I'm seriously considering casting resin copies of the stabilators from that kit, they look so much better.... I shall ponder :hmmm:

That's it for this update, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 24