Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

All that work on the detailing and resin is going to look fantastic under paint now Giorgio. Superb progress and best of luck with the next phase.

• Thanks 1

Ooh, very tasty! Those resin lenses look interesting too. I'd be interested to know how the resin bears up over time. IE, how badly, or if, it yellows 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Brandy said:

Those resin lenses look interesting too. I'd be interested to know how the resin bears up over time. IE, how badly, or if, it yellows 

Hi, Ian. The resin lenses in my photo were used for my Ford Tri-motor build, nearly four years ago, and are still as clear as when they were made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 13:27, hendie said:

Okay.  That counts as paint I suppose.

You bet it does!! :rofl: More below... :winkgrin: 

On 16/05/2022 at 14:39, billn53 said:

I use UV resin often. For windows and similar glazing, just cover the hole with a piece of clear packaging tape and apply the resin from the inside. That’s how I did the side windows on my 1/72 O-2 Skymaster:

To make clear lenses, place drops of the resin on a sheet of glass. Once cured, they can be easily pried off with a knife blade.

Great tip Bill, thanks! :thumbsup:

On 17/05/2022 at 00:37, The Spadgent said:

Paint!!!!!! 🤩🤩🤩🤩

Yeah! :D 

On 16/05/2022 at 14:44, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G & @billn53, super helpful resin hints—the  F-4 is looking Phabulous 😎 best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thank you! :thumbsup: 

On 17/05/2022 at 00:38, billn53 said:

YES. PAINT ! ! !

:D :D

On 17/05/2022 at 07:24, CedB said:

…and what great paint it is!

Looking good Giorgio :) 

Thank you Ced, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 17/05/2022 at 09:58, TheBaron said:

All that work on the detailing and resin is going to look fantastic under paint now Giorgio. Superb progress and best of luck with the next phase.

Very kind of you Tony, thanks! :thumbsup: Next phase (almost) done, see below :thumbsup: 

On 17/05/2022 at 16:28, Brandy said:

Ooh, very tasty! Those resin lenses look interesting too. I'd be interested to know how the resin bears up over time. IE, how badly, or if, it yellows 

Ian

On 18/05/2022 at 05:54, billn53 said:

Hi, Ian. The resin lenses in my photo were used for my Ford Tri-motor build, nearly four years ago, and are still as clear as when they were made.

Thanks Ian and Bill (again :) ) :thumbsup:

On 18/05/2022 at 21:31, Spookytooth said:

Great work Giorgio, dabbling in the dark arts again?

Paint going on and looking good mate.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thank you :thumbsup: 

On 19/05/2022 at 05:52, Cookenbacher said:

PAINT!!

On 19/05/2022 at 08:40, Terry1954 said:

🥳🥳🥳🥳

You two teamed up now??? :D :D  

Alright, more paint, as promised (apologies for the radio silence, I've been off to Germany for a couple of days ant last WE was very busy with 1:1 stuff :shrug: )

But before, I wondered if it was the case to lighten up the first camo color, since the clear gloss protective coat would normally darken it. In fact, this particular color has a semi-gloss finish out of the bottle, so I compared it with the already gloss coated vari-ramp, and it didn't show much of a difference:

hase_camo4

So I decided to leave it be. Before spraying the second camo color, I wanted to prep the stabilators; looking at pics of the real subject I'm almost certain it didn't have the triangular reinforcing plates on the top (I couldn't find any views from the bottom, alas), so these had to go:

hase_stabilators1

Once removed, I also added the prominent riveting, typical on all Phantoms stabilators

hase_stabilators2

hase_stabilators3

hase_stabilators5

hase_stabilators4

The last one came out rather wonky (poor tracing), but I had no mojo to tackle it, so I decided to leave those aside for the moment and went back to the main airframe.

I gloss coated the grey areas first

hase_camo5

Then I noticed a couple of spots that needed fixing, so I sanded away the paint

hase_camo6

Since I was planning to respray the base black before the camo grey, I also masked the fin top, which need to be black as well

hase_camo7

Camo fix

hase_camo8

and black fin top

hase_camo9

General view after another protective gloss clear coat and prior to masking

hase_camo10

On with the masking, using Tamiya tape for curves and regular tape

hase_camo11

I realized I went short with the first color on the underside of the air intakes - these will need an additional spray afterwards .... :frantic:

hase_camo12

Anyway, I airbrushed Lifecolor Dark grey (for FS36118) in a random pattern, just like I did for the other color

hase_camo13

hase_camo14

These pics are overexposed, the unevenness in real life is way more pronounced, but it's just to show what I wanted to achieve

Underneath:

hase_camo15

Then I got impatient and removed the masking straight away :D :

hase_camo16

hase_camo17

The top nose area needs to be resprayed as well, the darker color should end in a curved line before reaching the radome, so I'll have to remask for that.

hase_camo18

Just like for the bottom of the air intakes, as I mentioned earlier

hase_camo19

This darker grey has a matte finish to it, so I'm pretty confident it will turn darker once gloss coated - getting the proper balance to the whole camouflage.

That will be next time, though. Meanwhile, all comments welcome :) 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 25

So there's no turquoise, or vermillion, or saffron then?  S'all just greys with a smidgen of black then?

Where's your sense of adventure man?

:D

delightful airbrushing G 

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, billn53 said:

That’s more like it!

Cheers Bill, thanks! :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely paintwork Giorgio, looking v.nice indeed! 👍

Keith

Thank you Keith, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great work on those greys Giorgio. Is the one in the pics above destined to be Greek or Turkish?

Terry

Thanks Terry! :thumbsup: This is the Turkish one, which retained, as far as I understand, the original camouflage from its previous ANG employment. I'll dig out some references about it tonight, they're on the decals instructions but I don't have them at hand now.

8 hours ago, hendie said:

So there's no turquoise, or vermillion, or saffron then?  S'all just greys with a smidgen of black then?

Where's your sense of adventure man?

:D

delightful airbrushing G 

There's going to be some red, at a certain point - right inside the air brakes.... :D  :D  

Ciao

• Haha 6

I see how you do it, I really do.

But I just don't know how you do it, it's just beyond me how you work the layers and tones,

Here today we have Giorgio's chiaroscuro in gray and grey.

Love watching this old friend, one distant day I might even aspire...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I see how you do it, I really do.

But I just don't know how you do it, it's just beyond me how you work the layers and tones,

Here today we have Giorgio's chiaroscuro in gray and grey.

Love watching this old friend, one distant day I might even aspire...

Bill, first of all this is a huge compliment and I really appreciate it - thank you! :thumbsup: 

Secondly, TBH I find this way of painting a lot easier than laying down perfectly even and uniform (and thin) paint coats, and it serves my purpose. I think it would be a lot more challenging for me to produce an immaculate model, and still make it look real.

All you need here is to find the correct combination between paint and airbrush - it just takes a few trials - and then spraying up close in a random pattern, still using the panel lines as guides.

Regarding paint, I think I forgot to mention that Lifecolor Grey FS36270 has a semi-gloss finish, just like all other Lifecolor paints in the "Camouflage" range (you can easily identify them because they come only in specific sets and/or their code starts with UA). These are very tricky to spray in fine lines and up close, and I had to airbrush this grey on much thicker than I thought. Lifecolor Dark Grey FS36118 makes for an exception to that, having a natural flat finish just like regular Lifecolor Matt paints; and just like them, it's a lot easier to spray in thin lines and up close to the model surface, allowing for a wider range of adjustments through different thinner-to-paint ratio (thinner of choice here is IPA at 15-20% grade). YMMV, of course :) 

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The photons smile upon on your paintwork Giorgio, such is the visual richness developing there already. :worthy:

15 hours ago, hendie said:

:rofl2:

Everyone's a critic Giorgio. Should've heard what he said about the Sistine Chapel:

'Bodies everywhere - a right old mess.'

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The photons smile upon on your paintwork Giorgio, such is the visual richness developing there already. :worthy:

Way too kind, Tony  - thanks! :thumbsup:

Everyone's a critic Giorgio. Should've heard what he said about the Sistine Chapel:

'Bodies everywhere - a right old mess.'

For some reason, I could immediately picture in my mind the view of Alan saying that, while looking around the Chapel amidst the (pre-COVID) tourists crowd....   :rofl2: 

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Everyone has their own way of doing things and getting the results they want.

You have got that sorted Giorgio.

Nice work BTW.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad you approve of :) :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bodies everywhere - a right old mess.'

Wasn't that the party we had at @Martian's place whilst he was on hols?

Lovely paintwork though Giorgio, very nice indeed!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Very definitely reminiscent of said assembly Ian but to be honest I mostly remember CC and the goats.

Oh yes and the bodies OK.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

Lovely paintwork though Giorgio, very nice indeed!

Ian

So you're the culprit! Bend over Brandy, it's blurglecruncheon time!

Vindictive of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Not the regimental mascot goat I do hope!

Terry

There might have been an ornamental leather apron on the floor behind the fridge, but actually I thought it a left-over from the two pipe majors with their unexpected arm wrestling in butter affaire.

Hell of a fun party though, you really should have been there.

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Not the regimental mascot goat I do hope!

Terry

If I remember correctly (it is a bit of a blur!) said Regimental goat succumbed to injuries received after being rear-ended by a chili and beer fuelled parrot.

@corsaircorp may have had something to do with it.....

Ian

• Haha 5