Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Top hump surgery Dr. Giorgio. :clap2:

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

As above dear chap, fine work.

Simon.

Thank you Tony and Simon :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Fritag said:

Good to see your hunch paid off Giorgio :whistle:

Clever idea well executed.  Tub looks first class n’all. :D

:rofl: I had to look for that other meaning of the word "hunch", I wasn't aware of it. Glad you like it, Steve :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That cockpit is incredible, and superbly executed work on the rear cockpit "hunch".

It is like watching a Phantom master at work!

Terry

Way too kind Terry, thank you :thumbsup: Let's just hope it won't look too messy once I get to the painting stage 🤞

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. I hope you and yours are all keeping well. From the amount of likes you've been getting from me, you can probably tell I have been trying to catch up, a little, with your project. As always, I have been really impressed by your attention to all the details. All your work, but especially in the cockpit area, is so amazing. Very impressive work so far! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks for all the likes, Stix :D :thumbsup: All good over here, and so I hope of you and yours. 

43 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You weren't kidding. It's getting  interesting now though.

I'm very impressed by your cockpit. How you do that sort of work in 1/72 escapes me entirely.

Definitely not kidding: I'm a slow builder, and a double build like this one plus the P-51D on a different project sure don't allow for any kind of speed .... :banghead: 

A jet in 1/72 is my bottom limit in terms of scale, anyway. In fact, when building WWII fighter models, I remain strictly in the 1/48 field.

Oh, and a good Optivisor is the key, here :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, giemme said:

A jet in 1/72 is my bottom limit in terms of scale, anyway. In fact, when building WWII fighter models, I remain strictly in the 1/48 field.

Oh, and a good Optivisor is the key, here :winkgrin:

Same. I haven't strayed from 48 for aircraft and 35 for tanks for decades. Until quite recently when I strayed. I see the advantages of 72 for the larger aeroplane but I won't bother with the insides at that scale. I'll just go with the Rolling Stones and paint 'em black.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gene K said:

Giorgio,

You need to reset the G meter in both cockpits since they show the aircraft was Over-G'd.

Gene K

And took an overhaul since over Geeing create abnormal stresses...

Checking all the rivets and ribs for wrinkles and structural damages....

Sorry to tell it my friend...:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Just my token of course....

CC

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, hendie said:

Exemplary.  Not much color mind you, but exemplary nonetheless. 

Color Alan? What, you mean paint? On a Giorgio build and we are not at the paint stage yet? What has the world come to?

😜

• Haha 4

This build (and others like a certain pair of Airfix Hawks…) have me in two minds. Do I take inspiration to push my paltry skills to try and match their brilliance? Or do I simply accept that I’m never going to produce anything this good and throw my stash in the bin (for which read “stick it on EvilBay”)? I’m confused… 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Hi Giorgio,

I'm late to joining the party, but have enjoyed reading up! Fantastic builds.

And very useful for my Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) F-4C currently in work. And Fine Molds F-4D (just arrived from Japan! :penguin:).

I'll lurk (and learn) near the back if that's OK. (obligatory:popcorn:).

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2021 at 01:03, corsaircorp said:

Impressive work Mister G !!

I stay in awe...

CC

Cheers Alain, thank you :thumbsup:

On 19/10/2021 at 14:31, Gene K said:

Giorgio,

You need to reset the G meter in both cockpits since they show the aircraft was Over-G'd.

Gene K

Please point out which one is the G meter, I'll fix it.... :bleh:  :penguin:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

On 19/10/2021 at 23:54, corsaircorp said:

And took an overhaul since over Geeing create abnormal stresses...

Checking all the rivets and ribs for wrinkles and structural damages....

Sorry to tell it my friend...:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Just my token of course....

CC

:bleh: To you too :rofl:

On 19/10/2021 at 23:57, hendie said:

Exemplary.  Not much color mind you, but exemplary nonetheless. 

On 20/10/2021 at 00:04, Terry1954 said:

Color Alan? What, you mean paint? On a Giorgio build and we are not at the paint stage yet? What has the world come to?

😜

You funny guys... :rofl: 

On 20/10/2021 at 00:59, The Spadgent said:

Exquisite surgery Giorgio. 🙌

love it. 👏👏👏

Johnny

Thank you Johnny, glad you like it :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

This build (and others like a certain pair of Airfix Hawks…) have me in two minds. Do I take inspiration to push my paltry skills to try and match their brilliance? Or do I simply accept that I’m never going to produce anything this good and throw my stash in the bin (for which read “stick it on EvilBay”)? I’m confused… 🤔

Don't sell your stash, and just have fun with it. If this thread can be of any inspiration, I'll be glad - but you get there gradually, otherwise you take the fun out of it :winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I've also had those thoughts.

Oh, come on! :D 

45 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hi Giorgio,

I'm late to joining the party, but have enjoyed reading up! Fantastic builds.

And very useful for my Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) F-4C currently in work. And Fine Molds F-4D (just arrived from Japan! :penguin:).

I'll lurk (and learn) near the back if that's OK. (obligatory:popcorn:).

Cheers,

Welcome on board, Charlie :thumbsup: And thank you for your comment! Keep up the good work with your Phantom :thumbsup2:

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

Why do you build models?

To be better than everyone else, or to have fun and build to your standards, improving them as you see fit?

For me, and I think most, it's the latter.

Ian

• Like 7

On 10/21/2021 at 8:10 AM, giemme said:

Please point out which one is the G meter, I'll fix it.... :bleh:  :penguin:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

OK, here ...

9wjCvvh.jpg

It's an important Crew Coordination effort - the back seater needs to do the same reset! :wink:

Gene K

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

OK, here ...

9wjCvvh.jpg

It's an important Crew Coordination effort - the back seater needs to do the same reset! :wink:

Gene K

Just wondering, does the backseater overload at the same G as the pilot? 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

Just wondering, does the backseater overload at the same G as the pilot? 

Since his seat is closer to the CG, there is less of a moment arm, so the GIB has fewer Gs  :giggle:. Problem is, in the heat of battle, he never knows when they're coming ... but the rubber radar hood is a convenient face-down helmet resting place.  :phew:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi everybody, here's a bit of an update, after a long and rainy WE. First off, I did not fix the G meter, sorry :shrug: :D 

I was mainly busy dealing with the fuselage seam on the Hasegawa kit. Sprue gloop saw some action

h_fuselage11

After some sanding and polishing

h_fuselage12

Now of course I need to reinstate all the round hatches, panel lines and rivets that were harmed during the battle sanding session; plus, I need to scribe in the AAR door (and I can't find the template I used for my F-4C build :banghead:  I guess I'll have to fabricate a new one ... )

Bottom side needed more sprue gloop

h_fuselage14

The arrestor hook will hide most of the join in that area, but the part I filled in with goo will remain exposed, so it needs some TLC. I'll leave this to cure at least overnight, before taking the sanding tools to it.

Meanwhile, inspecting the front bottom side showed some more work to do:

h_fuselage15

In detail, I'm not too happy with that gun vent; here's a comparison with the FM representation, part 11 for your consideration

h_fuselage16

Not sure what to do, I shall ponder.... :hmmm:

Last bit, in preparation for gluing the bottom fuselage in, was to paint and glue in the control sticks

h_fuselage13

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 17

14 hours ago, giemme said:

In detail, I'm not too happy with that gun vent; here's a comparison with the FM representation

I'm not surprised, it's practically non-existent compared to the FM. But a difficult fix. I agree with Alan and Terry (mold/resin), unless you're a real whiz at scribing!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

inspecting the front bottom

Ooh, I say. Where's CED when you need him? Fnaar, snurf!

Right, now that's off my chest:

that cockpit looks spectacular!

Ian

• Haha 4