Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

On 13/07/2021 at 00:56, hendie said:

Oooh, real toatie stuff Giorgio. Nicely snuggled in that IP.  That should look the biz when painted up 

Not sure what toatie means, it doesn't show up on google, but thanks Alan :D :thumbsup: I think I'll run a quick black tempera wash to see if this is acceptable at the bare eye, because the more I look at the pics the more awful it seems to be. Then I go back to the plastic in real life and I don't see all of that mess, but a wash should reveal the truth.

On 13/07/2021 at 02:05, Cookenbacher said:

This is what I meant! You are crazy [good at modelling] Giorgio!

:rofl:  :rofl: Thank Cookie, much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 13/07/2021 at 11:10, keefr22 said:

When they introduce 'extreme 1/72nd scale jet modelling' to the Olympics G, you're guaranteed to get the first gold!! Tremendous work again....!!! 👍

:rofl2:

K

:rofl:  :rofl: Cheers Keith, thank you - way too kind :thumbsup:

On 13/07/2021 at 15:30, Gene K said:

If you are going to use wing tanks, here's something you may want to consider:

NBqcMza.jpg

(The corrected FineMolds tank above still needs a little more curvature by further sanding down the pointy tip).

I also cross-referenced the new Tamiya 1/48 F-4B tanks.:selfie:

Gene K

Thanks Gene :thumbsup: I haven't thought of the underwing load yet; still, I think I have the Monogram tanks from the kit you sent me for Sandy Bay Bee.

On 13/07/2021 at 16:47, TheBaron said:

An excellent dose of structuralism by which to catch up with your work G. Nothing phantom about those skills! 👏

Cheers Tony, thank you :thumbsup: Great to hear from you again :) 

Ciao

• Like 5

On 13/07/2021 at 00:43, The Spadgent said:

Great and tiny work Giorgio. Congrats on winning the Footie (not you personally but you catch my drift) , I don’t follow it myself but I heard it’s a big deal so hats off. 🙌 I bought some of the quick drying TET but it didn’t seem to be as good as the regular stuff on kit parts. Is it better on plasticard? 

Johnny.

Apologies Johnny, I forgot to answer your post: thank you on both accounts :D (the football and the model) :thumbsup: Quick setting TeT seems to be the deal with small parts in general, just don't be shy with it (per my very limited experience); it doesn't cause the plastic to melt or hose out of seams, so it's easier to use in that sense. I've been told not to use it for structural gluing jobs, and I think it makes sense not to.

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Not sure what toatie means

Scots word for very small, tiny, miniscule etc. Giorgio

Not to be confused with the English word tottie which had a totally different definition

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

59 minutes ago, hendie said:

Scots word for very small, tiny, miniscule etc. Giorgio

Not to be confused with the English word tottie which had a totally different definition

Oooh thanks Alan...

My son received a 11/20 for his english exam in June, It let me speachless...

Then, I asked him about what has happened....

He tried to put his SMW experience in good use and at the oral exam....

He replied with Scottish accent, thanks @perdu with Birmingham accent, thanks Peaky blinders

And let's get crazy, he used also, Irish, Australian and so on...

Changing his accent at each reply....

His teacher has not been amused.....

No consequences since his year job was around a good 92%

Dam.... teachers....

Now looking for tottie....

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Seeing as 1/72 is the new 1/32 in Italy - will the displays be powered-up or down Giorgio?  Don't forget to get the right pressure setting on the altimeter and to zero the G meter either.  

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Haha 10

38 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Seeing as 1/72 is the new 1/32 in Italy - will the displays be powered-up or down Giorgio?  Don't forget to get the right pressure setting on the altimeter and to zero the G meter either.  

There's another gimballing gag in there somewhere too I reckon but I just can't hold my head still enough to get it.............. 

Coat time........

Terry

• Haha 6

On 7/12/2021 at 9:45 PM, giemme said:

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

What a fine detailed work on such a tiny instrument panel!.. Great skill with big patience Giorgio.

3D printing can be an alternative to make new instrument panel.. 🤔

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Thanks 1

Amazing work G--reference @Gene K fuel tank comparison--while I understand there are quite a few updates are required of Monogram's venerable 1/48 & 1/72 F-4C/D kit to match today's standards, it is remarkable to me how much they did get correct in that molding--regardless, this is outstanding--particularly enjoyed the cockpit update--best, Erwin 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2021 at 15:19, corsaircorp said:

Great attention to details Mr G !!

And you do it at 1/72.... Impressed I am....

Congrats Man !!

CC

Cheers Alain, you are way too kind :thumbsup: 

On 15/07/2021 at 17:15, Fritag said:

Powered down,with drooped ailerons and air brakes. I'll call on you when I get to paint the gauges.... :devil: :rofl: :rofl: 

On 15/07/2021 at 17:54, rob85 said:

Of course your building you own IP, in fact I’m disappointed you haven’t done it sooner 😂. Cunning and fine work G, keep it up mate.

Rob

I did think of scratch building it completely, actually ... then I discarded the idea because the FM IP is such an excellent base to start from :winkgrin:  Thanks Rob, much appreciated :thumbsup:

On 15/07/2021 at 21:01, Serkan Sen said:

What a fine detailed work on such a tiny instrument panel!.. Great skill with big patience Giorgio.

3D printing can be an alternative to make new instrument panel.. 🤔

Serkan

Thanks Serkan, glad you like it :thumbsup:  I really don't have the tiem to venture into 3D printing, seeing that I have a daytime job... :D But I'm trying to make friends with guys on here who do that stuff... :rofl: 

On 16/07/2021 at 03:13, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Amazing work G--reference @Gene K fuel tank comparison--while I understand there are quite a few updates are required of Monogram's venerable 1/48 & 1/72 F-4C/D kit to match today's standards, it is remarkable to me how much they did get correct in that molding--regardless, this is outstanding--particularly enjoyed the cockpit update--best, Erwin 

Cheers Erwin, thank you :thumbsup: The Monogram 1/72 Phantom kit is just amazing in terms of details packed into and injected styrene kit of that age!

Alright, some progress has been made here too: firstly, I didn't really like the top left gauge I added from scratch, so I removed it and replaced with a (scratch built) brass one

fm_ip19

Then I airbrushed some Tamiya Flat Black on it as a base coat, also to check for the general look of it

fm_ip20

As you can see, I added some cabling on the back side of the IP, using different sizes of copper wire

fm_ip21

The tub got hit with black too

tub1

I then gloss coated the IP and, once dry, I went over it with a Light Gull Grey drybrush, as a visual help for detail painting

fm_ip22

fm_ip23

Lastly, a very preliminary Dark Gull Grey coat, by brush

fm_ip24

I actually brushed some water around the instruments and then let the paint flood on it, again as a way of outlining features and help the detail painting. Which has still to happen - I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the next update.

Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 17

Giorgio, for the gauges on my WW build I used a small brush to add a drop of thinners into the gauge first, before adding paint.  The thinners spread out nicely to form a nice round pool - then I touched a drop of black paint into the pool of thinners and hey presto, nice round black discs. The same method should work with other shapes too.

That IP is coming along nicely

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 19/07/2021 at 23:57, hendie said:

Giorgio, for the gauges on my WW build I used a small brush to add a drop of thinners into the gauge first, before adding paint.  The thinners spread out nicely to form a nice round pool - then I touched a drop of black paint into the pool of thinners and hey presto, nice round black discs. The same method should work with other shapes too.

That IP is coming along nicely

Thanks for the tip, Alan :thumbsup: Still a lot of work to do on that IP, but it'll have to wait because I'll be on holidays for two weeks  :D

Ciao

• Like 5

On 7/28/2021 at 6:23 AM, steh2o said:

...  Jumpei Tenma started working on a F-4E by cross-kitting Fine Molds F-4EJ and F-4C; ... 

His build/draw articles are an unbelievable source of inspiration.

I admire his attention to panel line differences, but can't decipher (using Google translate) what he is accomplishing by "cross kitting" the C nose section  to get an F-4E from what is essentially an F-4E.  :worry:.  Maybe Giorgio can clarify since he is presently working that section of the kit. 

Gene K

• Like 3

Hello Gene,

basically he's p!$$3d off because Fine Molds did not reproduce accurately the area of the rear cockpit, including the rear canopy that is 1mm too narrow, this can be seen in a precedent review he did with comparison to his drawings. JT received a F-4C in which FineMolds, following his advice, modified the canopy width issue and adjusted a bit the fuse width too. So he choose to use the fuselage of the C with the nose of the EJ to get a correct E

Crazy considering the cost of the two kits!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, steh2o said:

...  he choose to use the fuselage of the C with the nose of the EJ to get a correct E Crazy considering the cost of the two kits!

Thanks. I have to admire his passion for accuracy ... and FM's willingness to make such minor adjustments. Maybe he can convince FM to correct the tanks and add speed brakes when they issue their F-4B/N, F-4G, and RF-4 ... and add the gun gas purge door when they do the F-4F.  :rolleyes:  

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

...or adjust the 1mm lack of wing chord....

Really, the Phantom has a complex shape. To this date there are just two kits which are shape-wise almost perfect: Airfix -M/N, Tamiya -B.

There is good hope that the "next" Phantom kit will be the "ultimate"...😂

Stefano

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 3:03 AM, steh2o said:

To this date there are just two kits which are shape-wise almost perfect: Airfix -M/N, Tamiya -B.

Happy for you that the lack of prominent vents on the Airfix kits didn't curb your enthusiasm ... as it did for Negative Nancy me. :blush:

Gene K

😄I'm talking about shape only: detail-wise it is rubbish! What a pity that Airfix don't go the extra mile to produce top-quality kits... the Phantom was Lidar-scanned from the Yeovilton a/c - then they choose this multi-option approach (radar, wingfold, flying surfaces) and forgot completely to provide accurate details (forgetting the vents for a moment, how about the toy-like landing gear?). Fine Molds choose extra-fine details but forgot relevant elements  of the shape, really they could have done better in my opinion.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2021 at 9:03 AM, steh2o said:

...or adjust the 1mm lack of wing chord....

Really, the Phantom has a complex shape. To this date there are just two kits which are shape-wise almost perfect: Airfix -M/N, Tamiya -B.

There is good hope that the "next" Phantom kit will be the "ultimate"...😂

Stefano

I think you will find that Airfix did a K and an M not an N which is not available in kit form anywhere, you have to modify a kit to produce one.

Gondor the slightly Pedantic :think:

Opps, I meant the L not the N, still not a vairant modeled by Airfix though. :oops:

5 hours ago, Gene K said:

Happy for you that the lack of prominent vents on the Airfix kits didn't curb your enthusiasm ... as it did for Negative Nancy me. :blush:

Gene K

Aerocraft Models do a conversion set to correct that

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/detailed-phantom-intakes-for-airfix-kit

Gondor

• Like 2