Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

On 16/05/2021 at 23:10, Cookenbacher said:

Look at all that resin! You could start your own aftermarket company Giorgio, hmm I'll start thinking of all the model parts I'd order from you. 😀

Sure, send me the list, I'll bring you the parts over when I come to the US next year! :rofl: 

On 16/05/2021 at 23:11, hendie said:

I've always found that you just can't beat silicone for capturing detail in resin casting.

On the other hand... if you had a 3d printer...

Nice work Giorgio 

On 16/05/2021 at 23:15, Gene K said:

Yes, hendie, he REALLY needs one given all the splendid conversion work that he does.

Gene K

So the two of you teamed up in teasing me, right? I'm set up for good, now.... :rofl:  :rofl: 

Seriously, I just don't have the time now to learn about 3D designing, so for the moment I'll try to make close friends with someone who does that stuff :D :D :D 

@hendie As for details, I was surprised to see how well the Oyumaru worked in that regard, it's just that it doesn't bode well with certain kinds of part - the outer wings being a clear example, because it had to be a two parts mould and it came out just not "structured" enough to properly cast warp-free parts. But also the compressor faces because of their depth. I think I'll be using it for other minor details on these build.

Ciao

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hello Mr G

Impressive detailling !!

Sooo, I got another padawan ???

Congratulations !! 3 kits on the bench is a good start on the path of Jedying multi builds...

May the force be with you...

More seriously, I used silicon and resin for years 

For compressor blade and wheels, i used to force the resin in the moulds with an old hairy stick.

And I use aceton to get it "almost" clean, let's say re-usable...

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another busy weekend on the Phantom production line and a Mustang started!

All I seem to have time for at the moment is gardening. I never thought it would take so long to dig out the bramble roots and seed about 280 sq. metres of garden, and I haven’t started on the pool yet.

Stay safe.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mr G

Impressive detailling !!

Sooo, I got another padawan ???

Congratulations !! 3 kits on the bench is a good start on the path of Jedying multi builds...

May the force be with you...

More seriously, I used silicon and resin for years 

For compressor blade and wheels, i used to force the resin in the moulds with an old hairy stick.

And I use aceton to get it "almost" clean, let's say re-usable...

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC! :thumbsup: Do you mean you use Acetone to clean out the inside of the moulds? TIA

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Another busy weekend on the Phantom production line and a Mustang started!

All I seem to have time for at the moment is gardening. I never thought it would take so long to dig out the bramble roots and seed about 280 sq. metres of garden, and I haven’t started on the pool yet.

Stay safe.

John

Thanks John, I must be going crazy :D 

It keeps raining here, so my activities in the garden are very limited - at least this is not detrimental to my modelling :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

It looks like you have a busy bee again Giorgio.

The splitter plates look very nice indeed.

As for the compressor fans, they look like a pig to do.

Three kits on the go!!!!

I have got to get back on the bench again, soon.

Stay safe.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Thanks CC! :thumbsup: Do you mean you use Acetone to clean out the inside of the moulds? TIA

Thanks John, I must be going crazy :D 

It keeps raining here, so my activities in the garden are very limited - at least this is not detrimental to my modelling :winkgrin:

Ciao

Hello Mr G

No I use aceton to clean up the brushes and glas in which I prepare the resin, It work ace.

I prefer to keep my moulds a bit greasy, it easier to get the parts out...

Gardening here in Belgium is very difficult, Then I'll move my garden so in 2021, vegetables will come from the shopping mall for CC

I have my hands full in creating a fence around the garden and starting my support wall.... 

7 meters high in concrete blocks and stones to hide the blocks....

The inconvenience of living in a classed village...

Stay safe Gents

Tomorrow will be modelling day Hoooray !!!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

It looks like you have a busy bee again Giorgio.

The splitter plates look very nice indeed.

As for the compressor fans, they look like a pig to do.

Three kits on the go!!!!

I have got to get back on the bench again, soon.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  You definitely need to get back to the bench :D 

For the compressor faces, I'll have to resort to traditional silicone moulding - currently out of it, but already re-ordered and waiting for it to arrive...

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mr G

No I use aceton to clean up the brushes and glas in which I prepare the resin, It work ace.

I prefer to keep my moulds a bit greasy, it easier to get the parts out...

Ah, got it, thanks. I use cellulose thinner for the stuff I use to manipulate resin, as suggested by the producer. But good to know acetone works too :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

Another master class in 1/72 phantom building! 

I took notes on your techniques from previous phantom builds and applied it on mine, and I will surely do the same with this one.

One of the technique which is become my SOP in building 1/72 phantom is Gene's intake.

I use blue stuff reusable mould and 2 paet epoxy putty for the compressor face. Can't compare the result with commercial resin.. but acceptable after some touch ups.

20210519-153723.jpg

I use Revell's compressor face as the master.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 3

On 19/05/2021 at 10:49, Lifeline said:

Another master class in 1/72 phantom building! 

Cheers Mario, thanks! :thumbsup: And welcome on board :) 

I know the Oyumaru is normally used in combination with epoxy putty (Milliput or the likes) - I was just trying to see if it would work with resin because it's the quickest way to cast parts.

A quick update before any actual WE modelling; over the week, I re-stocked on silicone, so I did cast a copy of the Revell's compressor faces in the traditional way:

molding8

molding9

Came out much better this time :) 

While I had the resin out, I did cast another set of outer wings and of splitter plates; here are the wings:

molding10

Apologies for the poor pic - they came out much better this time, with only a minor blemish on the wingtip

molding11

Since they will anyway need to be modified to get to their final state, I think these are a good enough base to start with.

On the other hand, the splitter plates came out very good

molding12

So I'll be using these to replace the Hasegawa parts.

The Quickboost seats arrived too:

qbseats1

The fit inside the Finemolds tub is pretty tight

qbseats2

even more so at the front - I actually had to shave off some plastic from the tub sides, and still it is quite a snug fit

qbseats3

qbseats4

I did put in the FM seat frames to check for the relative positions

qbseats5

Both in, they look pretty good to me

The second set it's obviously for the Hasegawa office; here the fit is much looser

qbseats6

qbseats7

Will see if it stays like that after I added the Eduard PE cockpit parts.

Alright, back to the bench now - any comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 24

Oh Boy, another an epic post!!!! Thanks. :thumbsup:

Your cast FM splitter plates are OUTSTANDING. I hope my attempts to mold and cast them with fresh RTV and resin will be as successful.  How did you wrap the Oyumaru around the splitters, and what kind of "silicone" did you re-stock? Did the resin heating impact the oyumaru?

I also cast some new Revell compressor face pieces, but to avoid "fit fettling",  only use the round portions (eases alignment). 

RSBOs7ym.jpg

Gene K

EDITed

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gene! :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Gene K said:

I also cast some new Revell compressor face pieces, but to avoid "fit fettling",  only use the round portions (marking the bottoms for alignment).

Sure, I'm gonna do that too, but since I have to return the original part to Silvano,  I did cast them that way and I'll split them in two parts and only keep the round shape. 👍

Ciao

• Like 3

G, coming along nicely--really appreciate your walk through casting--both the final product and some of your struggles.  Really helps to grow the community's understanding of casting.  @Gene K--thank you posting the Drop Box pdf--very useful--best to all, Erwin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Giorgio. Those seats look really detailed - can’t wait for you to do your usual magic job on them. :) 

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2021 at 16:25, Gene K said:

Your cast FM splitter plates are OUTSTANDING. I hope my attempts to mold and cast them with fresh RTV and resin will be as successful.  How did you wrap the Oyumaru around the splitters, and what kind of "silicone" did you re-stock? Did the resin heating impact the oyumaru?

Sorry Gene, I missed your edited post. Apologies for the misunderstanding, "silicone" is what we call in Italian the RTV (it should actually be "gomma siliconica"). I ended up using RTV for the splitter plates because I figured it would have taken less work to adapt them to the Hasegawa kit -  see below for that. Here's the mould:

molds2

As for the Oyumaru, it wasn't affected at all by the resin heat, but I think I'll use it only for small, shallow parts. Here are the other molds I've used so far, outer wings:

molds1

Not much to see there, really - it just shows that it's a one piece mold. Next one is for the compressor faces, made with the new RTV I had just received - very happy with that

molds3

On 22/05/2021 at 17:55, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, coming along nicely--really appreciate your walk through casting--both the final product and some of your struggles.  Really helps to grow the community's understanding of casting.  @Gene K--thank you posting the Drop Box pdf--very useful--best to all, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thank you! :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Giorgio. Those seats look really detailed - can’t wait for you to do your usual magic job on them. :) 

Quickboost seats are really nice, I think they will really enhance the final aspect of the cockpit area :thumbsup: 

Here's an update about the WE modelling; compressor faces separated

molding13

And now the tricky part: rolling the flat seamless intake over the circular part

seamless_intakes7

seamless_intakes8

Both glued with TET and curing

seamless_intakes9

Test fit

seamless_intakes10

seamless_intakes11

Not bad :) Back to the splitter plates; I needed to shape them according to the Hasegawa parts, so:

splitter_hase1

After some resin cutting and filing/sanding

splitter_hase2

As you can see, the back part of the FM plate is longer than the Hase one. That means that the splitter plate will sit too far forward relatively to the intake, to wit:

splitter_hase3

Bottom

splitter_hase4

splitter_hase5

So I had to remove some plastic from the intake inner plate, as shown here

splitter_hase6

After cutting/sanding/reshaping

splitter_hase7

splitter_hase8

Much better now :) From the back

splitter_hase9

I obviously had to refine the front edge of the inner intake plate, because it looked like this

splitter_hase10

I will have to repaint that edge, obviously. Here are the tools I used for the task

splitter_hase11

I just had to repeat the whole process for the other one

splitter_hase12

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 26

Wwhhhooooo. That was a hell of a catch up. All this moulding is making my head spin 🙃😃🙃😀.

thanks for the info on the resin. I must give it a try. You have started your museum build too? Gosh I am falling behind. The phantoms are looking amazing. Bravo sir.

Good news on the jab too. 🦠💪

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another busy weekend.

I like Quickboost seats, you get a lot of detail for a very reasonable price. As Gene said those splitter plates are fantastic, and the intake trunking is coming along nicely.

Must get one of those multi-scraping Ninja throwing weapons sometime.

Stay safe.

John

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Phantomastic work on those intakes Giorgio. These are going to be two very special F-4E's, I know it!

Terry

Cheers Terry, thank you for the vote of confidence! :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wwhhhooooo. That was a hell of a catch up. All this moulding is making my head spin 🙃😃🙃😀.

thanks for the info on the resin. I must give it a try. You have started your museum build too? Gosh I am falling behind. The phantoms are looking amazing. Bravo sir.

Good news on the jab too. 🦠💪

Johnny

Thanks johnny :thumbsup:  The museum build is here, if anyone is interested:

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Another busy weekend.

I like Quickboost seats, you get a lot of detail for a very reasonable price. As Gene said those splitter plates are fantastic, and the intake trunking is coming along nicely.

Must get one of those multi-scraping Ninja throwing weapons sometime.

Stay safe.

John

Agreed on the Quickboost seats, John - and thank you for your praise :thumbsup:  The scraping tool is very useful, you should really gt one. There, all at a sudden I sound like @CedB :rofl: 

6 hours ago, gota said:

Great work on those intakes, thanks for the extensive photo documentation.

Cheers gota, thank you :thumbsup:

Just one thing I didn't mention, but an e-mail exchange with @Gene K made me realize I should: to adapt the FM splitter plates to the Hasegawa kit I could have simply shortened them to match the Hase parts, but I chose not to because chances were that it would have affected the holes area, and I didn't really want to mess up with that, being such a delicate detail. If one does that with care, it's a lot simpler than the way I did.

Ciao

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Excellent casting-work Giorgio and fine exposition of how to fit @Gene K’s seamless intakes; although it’s brought back unwelcome memories for me of trying to steal and adapt the idea for my hawks and finding it all very stressful and best left to the master(s) :blush:

Seats are a big improvement.  For myself I don’t particularly like moulded in straps - but then your painting skills are rather more up to the task :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic work Giorgio, that's going to be a very nice custom Hasegawa Phantom to go along with the Fine Molds.

GIORGIO"S FINE RESIN PARTS AND CUSTOM PHANTOMS

Hmmm, it may be difficult to fit all that on the sign outside your shop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work Giorgio, those compressor fronts came out really well sir.

And those seats look the part(s) too.

The intakes are coming along very nicely.

In fact, all looking good.

Stay safe.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Excellent casting-work Giorgio and fine exposition of how to fit @Gene K’s seamless intakes; although it’s brought back unwelcome memories for me of trying to steal and adapt the idea for my hawks and finding it all very stressful and best left to the master(s) :blush:

Seats are a big improvement.  For myself I don’t particularly like moulded in straps - but then your painting skills are rather more up to the task :D

Thanks Steve, much appreciated :thumbsup:  As for the seats, I think moulded in straps in 1/72 are more than acceptable, especially when cast with that quality. In 1/48, not so much.

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic work Giorgio, that's going to be a very nice custom Hasegawa Phantom to go along with the Fine Molds.

GIORGIO"S FINE RESIN PARTS AND CUSTOM PHANTOMS

Hmmm, it may be difficult to fit all that on the sign outside your shop.

:rofl:  :rofl: I'll have to find a short for that, then... :hmmm:  Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Your a real resin ninja G, that’s some really impressive casting work above! 

Rob

Cheers Rob, thank you :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Giorgio, those compressor fronts came out really well sir.

And those seats look the part(s) too.

The intakes are coming along very nicely.

In fact, all looking good.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Alright everybody, I need to rectify my previous update, in that I made a boo-boo with @Gene K's intakes; in fact, the correct way to glue the seamless trunking is to have the longer lip overlapping the shorter one, like this:

seamless_intakes12

I was convinced I did it this way in the first place, but looking back at my pics, I realized that I hadn't.... :banghead: Probably too much wine and food was had during the WE... :D 

So I did cut another set of intakes with my Curio, and glued them properly this time; this way, no seam line will be visible, once in place

seamless_intakes13

Apologies if I mislead anybody, hopefully these last two pics will serve as better references.

Ciao

• Like 18

Really great job Mr G

I was about to ask  for the oyumaru before buying some ot it...

As I can see, we use the same Silicone and resin...

I finally select the brand Voss Chemie, I think it's a dutch stuff..

That will Phantastics Phantoms !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1