Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looks like you had a busy weekend.

Stay safe.

John

Quite so :D  I even managed to mow my lawn and go for a hike on the hills nearby :) 

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Starting to get those intakes "Giorgio'd" I see. We expected nothing less of course!

Terry

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Dare we say... "giorgeous"?

Yes. Yes, I think we do. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Terry and Andre :rofl: I'm not sure which one of the two "definitions" made me laugh more.... 

11 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Opps ... You didn't have to do all that chopping (although it's a lot of fun). All that's really required is this:

as shown here  -- that's for the Has 1/48 kit ... my 1/72 thread there evidently got lost in the several web-host iterations that ARC has gone through), but same process applies. 

Gene K

Actually, I just repeated what I did on Sandy Bay Bee, and one half of the fuselage came in already modified by you :winkgrin:  See here:

If you scroll down the middle of my first post, you will find this pic

modifiche2

Actually, I think that removing all that plastic has its merit (besides being utterly funny :D ); it's a lot easier to push in the intake interior and adjust the bottom side when you glue the bottom wing in ( or so I recall ....)

Ciao

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Stunning work. Looks like a very creative weekend.:clap2::popcorn:

Sorry Bernd, I missed your post - thank you, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giemme said:

Actually, I just repeated what I did on Sandy Bay Bee, and one half of the fuselage came in already modified by you :winkgrin: 

But that was SIX years ago ... time moves on, and so do intakes: :giggle:

SSbGRJZl.jpg

Sorry.:blush:

To gracefully change subjects ... your work on the splitter plates is magnifico.

Gene K

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, hendie said:

Fine hacking sir.  

Thanks Alan! :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Gene K said:

But that was SIX years ago ... time moves on, and so do intakes: :giggle:

Sorry.:blush:

No problem - hacking plastic with the Dremel chopping bit was a lot of fun! :rofl:  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1

I really like that scheme G, really different from the normal phantom and great scope for weathering from that picture!

Nice work so far, sounds like you had a real busy weekend, hope

it was fun!

Rob

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, giemme said:

No problem - hacking plastic with the Dremel chopping bit was a lot of fun!

No it isn't! The styrene particles mix with the resin dust that is permanently attached to my nose hairs and wifey kicks me when I snore.    👢

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

I really like that scheme G, really different from the normal phantom and great scope for weathering from that picture!

Nice work so far, sounds like you had a real busy weekend, hope

it was fun!

Rob

Definitely fun, thank you Rob! :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

All caught up now Giorgio, wonderful work as usual! The Greek scheme is a beauty and I can't wait to see what you come up with for it.

Cheers Cookie, thank you! :thumbsup:  The Greek aircraft also presents some features that will need a good deal of scratch building to be reproduced :) 

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

..and wifey kicks me when I snore.    👢

Hey, that happens to me too!

... but I normally wear a mask when sanding/chopping/filing plastic.... :hmmm:  :D :D 

Had my first vaccine jab yesterday, so last night I was a bit light-headed (can one say heavy-headed? Not sure it's a thing in English, but that's how I felt ...) and no modelling done. I'll get back to it tonight :) 

Ciao

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

Had my first vaccine jab yesterday, so last night I was a bit light-headed (can one say heavy-headed? Not sure it's a thing in English, but that's how I felt ...) and no modelling done. I'll get back to it tonight :)

Good news! I hope you're side-effects are short-lived :fingerscrossed:

'Heavy-headed'? Yep, why not, I don't think we have a phrase for that ('thick head' maybe) and it's a living language after all!

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good news! I hope you're side-effects are short-lived :fingerscrossed:

Feeling much better already, thanks - just a sore shoulder :) 

Thank you for the linguistic advice :D  

Ciao

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thank you for the linguistic advice :D  

Hello Giorgio. As the Germans like to put every english phrase or anglicism into their german language so why don't we vice versa. We have the right words for that:

1. Kater (male cat)

2. Dicke Birne

3. Schwerer Kopf

4. Brummschädel

Mostly used after night of drinking, but also for everything else that went wrong in the head temporarily.

So if that helps, you could say:" After my first vaccination I now have a dicke Birne. (:whistle:)

Cheers

PS: This works also in italian speech.

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, bbudde said:

After my first vaccination I now have a dicke Birne. (:whistle:)

I know this is the German translation for "thick head", but for some reason it doesn't sound right..... :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, giemme said:

I know this is the German translation for "thick head", but for some reason it doesn't sound right..... :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ciao

"Birne" literallly means "pear". ;)

Cheers,

Andre (Austrian girlfriend)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hook said:

Cheers,

And yet, this is not the reason why it didn't sound right.... :D  Keep thinking, it'll come to you.... :D  :D  :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Ciao

Cheers,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

And yet, this is not the reason why it didn't sound right.... :D  Keep thinking, it'll come to you.... :D  :D  :rofl2:

Ciao

Oh, I know...  😎

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

Oh, a double phantom build by Giemme, on kits I own and plan to build soon, I have to follow this!

I probably missed it while going through the first pages but is there a pattern image for those seamless intakes for the Hasegawa kit?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gota said:

...  is there a pattern image for those seamless intakes for the Hasegawa kit?

gota (and any others interested),

I don't know if I can legally or technically post a pdf here on BM (doesn't look like it). so here's a link to the pattern in my Dropbox: Click to read and then download if you want it (or change the link ending  from dl=0 to dl=1 to directly download):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcrscobbnj53bcr/Has 72 Seamless Intake Patterns May 2021.pdf?dl=0   . I'll leave the file up for a week - until  23 May. 

Print at 100% (no scaling) - and cross check the red measurement is 1.89".  The pdf is taken from my Silhouette Studio file, so if you have a cutter and want the .studio3 file, let me know.

Gene K

EDIT: The following graphic is linked to IMGUR and doesn't scale properly ... I'm working on it (the pdf is good). File should be 1320x1020.

k4ETPNt.png

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 13/05/2021 at 20:21, Spookytooth said:

Looks like you have been a busy bee Giorgio.

Great to hear that you have had your first jab.

I am due my second next Wednesday.

You all stay safe.

Simon.

Greta news, Simon :thumbsup: And yes, I've been quite busy and getting busier - I actually started one of the two Museum build kits I received :frantic: Feeling a bit liek CC @corsaircorp, now :D 

11 hours ago, gota said:

Oh, a double phantom build by Giemme, on kits I own and plan to build soon, I have to follow this!

I probably missed it while going through the first pages but is there a pattern image for those seamless intakes for the Hasegawa kit?

Cheers gota, thank you and welcome on board. :thumbsup:  @Gene K was as usual so kind to provide detailed info, I will post picture of how I apply the method while it deploys :) 

Alright, time for some pics. First off, my good friend Silvano @phantom61 lent me some important material: this book

silvano3

and the Revell kit outer wings and compressor faces.

silvano1

So now I have all I need to complete the seamless intakes for the Hasegawa kit and to scratch build proper slatted outer wings for both kits. Also, the book provides all the picture one needs for the HAF Phantoms; in particular, there are a lot of detailed pics of the interiors, and I just need to round up all my scratch building mojo and start with the modifications for the AUP version. Not quite in the right attitude though, so I did something else.

In order to continue working on the HASE seamless intakes, I wanted to get some other minor modifications done; so I completed the job on the flare doors, by fitting some thin plastic shims (glued with Tamiya Green Cap)

flares_door3

flares_door4

Then, once cured I trimmed them flush and added some spur gloop to make sure they'd disappear completely

flares_door5

And after some ETS treatment and polishing:

flares_door6

AOA probe: the tip of a sewing needle is just perfect to replace the blunt kit part

aoa_probe3

Glued in with CA form the inside

aoa_probe4

Then I thought of starting the molding process: first attempt with Oyumaru

silvano2

It took a few rounds to get the compressor faces mould right, while the two parts mould for the outer wings came out just rubbish - probably beyond the limit of such moulding medium.

So I resorted to regular silicone moulds; I thought of trying to add a black pigment to obtain a grey resin, so I put a drop or two of Tamiya Flat Balck into the mix. This was the result:

molding1

molding2

molding3

The detail was there, but the resin surface was oily and, what's worse, the resin remained very soft and bendy. The compressor faces wer a total no-go, though:

molding4

So I tried again, without adding any color

molding5

Not as good in terms of details, and the starboard outer wing came out quite thin.

Splitter plates come out OK

molding6

The compressor faces were once a gain a total fail, I think I'll have to resort to a silicone mould for them too. With the excess resin, I did cast another "hunch"

molding7

More casting in sight, but I think I will focus only on the outer wings, to get a decent set as a base for the modifications I have in mind.

Miscellaneous bits: the arrestor hook for the HASE kit got some PE detailing

hook2

The square opening for the pressure gauge on the FM kit was better refined

pressure_gauge5

I tried the glazing technique with Formula 560 Canopy Glue to reproduce the glass panel, I'll see tomorrow how it went.

Staying on the FM main fuselage, I did add a 0.1mm plastic shim to the spine part

fm_spine1

It needed some sanding back, but eventually I got a precise fit 

fm_spine2

I guess that's it for the day. I also started a Tamiya 1/48 P-51D kit for the 453rd Museum Build - I'll post a new thread about that right after this update.

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 23

4 minutes ago, hendie said:

On the other hand... if you had a 3d printer...

Yes, hendie, he REALLY needs one given all the splendid conversion work that he does.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2