Finemolds and Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E Phantom II - the Long Nose saga - Completed!

Hi everybody; many of you may know about the recent releases from FineMolds of various Phantom subjects. My dear friend @Gene K was so kind and donated me this:

fm1

This is going to be my first Long Nose Rhino; I thought (upon Gene's advice :winkgrin:) of throwing in also the  Finemolds armament set

fm2

and their pitot pipes brass set

fm3

However, it just so happens that a while ago @Gene K had already donated to me another Long Nose Phantom kit, this one

hase1

So I thought: why not a double build? Maybe trying to duplicate some of the features form the modern Finemolds kit and use them to improve the venerable Hasegawa kit? And maybe viceversa?

Back then, I also acquired a few AM sets to spice up the HASEGAWA kit:

hase2

Aires exhausts, Eduard PE set (full, not only the cockpit set) and Master Brass pitot pipes.

And obviously, Gene's seamless intakes

hase3

Right. Which subjects to represent, though? I don't really feel like I want to build a Japanese aircraft, at the moment; and I don't particularly care for the schemes proposed in the Hasegawa boxing too. So I ordered a decals set for an Iranian AC and one for an Hellenic Air Force Phantom. They're on their way from Poland and should hopefully be here soon. 

Both airframe have slatted wings, so the HASEGAWA kit is just fine, while the Finemolds one represents a model of the "hard wing" type, so the first challenge will be to upgrade that, copying the Hasegawa parts or sourcing stuff from other kits (a Revell F-4F, for instance - currently waiting to know from a friend if he has one to spare).

This is going to be quite a long term project, also because I will put it on hold at a certain point, as soon as I receive my kits for the 453rd Museum build. It should hopefully be fun though.

As usual, any comments, pointers and advice welcome.

Ciao

• Like 27

Evening G, another masterpiece in the offing - and that it's probably of my favourite jet just adds to the anticipation.....

....so get on with it!! 🤣

K

Oops hadn't read the first post properly - make that two masterpieces!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

As usual, any comments, pointers and advice welcome.

Build a helicopter? Biplane?

What about a Classic Airframes kit?

That's Giorgio for you.  Always taking the easy route

• Haha 11

I shall follow along if that's ok, I am interested in knowing the differences between the Hasegawa and the Fine Molds kits and how well the Fine Molds goes together. 

• Thanks 1

Yessss! Made it just in time and page one, to boot! Nachos and a cold one at the ready- it's showtime! Will be very interesting to see the comparison between the most recent generation Hasegawa Rhino and the Fine Molds kit.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Both airframe have slatted wings, so the HASEGAWA kit is just fine, while the Finemolds one represents a model of the "hard wing" type, so the first challenge will be to upgrade that, copying the Hasegawa parts or sourcing stuff from other kits (a Revell F-4F, for instance - currently waiting to know from a friend if he has one to spare).

What a treat this will be for me!!!!:penguin:

As for slats, both the Revell and Hasegawa outboard slats will do in a pinch, but since neither of them depict the gap between the slat and the leading edge (even when"retracted") , knowing you, you will probably cut off the outboard slats, form replacements, and then mount them on the recontoured leading edge.  You'll also have to trim the Hasegawa strake since the E model differs from the S which Hasegawa uses for both models. Much better visually for a minimum of effort., huh?:hmmm:

Gene K

P.S. This Flight Manual may be of interest.

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I shall keep an eye on progress with these.  I am building the Finemolds F-4EJkai and the surface detail is very, very subtle.  The instructions suggest not using surfacer (I assume they mean Mr Surfacer 1000 or similar or even primer at all?); my airbrush-hosing may just mean the paints too much and fills it in!  That said the parts fit together really nicely so far.

Cheers

Will

• Thanks 1

Hello G. Of course I'm in for this. The good old Nato Diesel looks pretty cool in almost every scheme.  Yep and the right and essential goodies for the old but reliable Hase kit and furthermore I'm very keen to see the a build of that Fine Mold kit.

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Miko said:

Nice! a pleasant surprise for me, I was unaware of this FineMolds kit in the retirement scheme for F-4EJ '301' I have the Hasegawa kit and was considering how to build the very subject of your kit! 

So, it'll be good to see how this one goes together, I have no experience of 'FineMolds'

Miko  (like's a nice F-4)

Welcome on board, Miko :thumbsup: I will be posting pics of the Finemolds kit sprues shortly, so you can get an idea of the level of details and the added features of this kit over the Hasegawa one - just bear with me and have a little patience... :)  :winkgrin:

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Evening G, another masterpiece in the offing - and that it's probably of my favourite jet just adds to the anticipation.....

....so get on with it!! 🤣

K

Oops hadn't read the first post properly - make that two masterpieces!

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Keith, and welcome on board :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh look, a front row seat for a "Rhino" build.

Popcorn and beers ready.

Comfy chair beckons, bring it on.

Simon.

Welcome Simon, good to have you here :)  :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, hendie said:

Build a helicopter? Biplane?

What about a Classic Airframes kit?

That's Giorgio for you.  Always taking the easy route

Yeah, you know I'm lazy..... :D :D  

13 hours ago, Billy54 said:

I shall follow along if that's ok, I am interested in knowing the differences between the Hasegawa and the Fine Molds kits and how well the Fine Molds goes together. 

Welcome on board, Bill - we shall soon find out :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Yessss! Made it just in time and page one, to boot! Nachos and a cold one at the ready- it's showtime! Will be very interesting to see the comparison between the most recent generation Hasegawa Rhino and the Fine Molds kit.

Mike

Definitely interesting, Mike - welcome on board :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Gene K said:

What a treat this will be for me!!!!:penguin:

As for slats, both the Revell and Hasegawa outboard slats will do in a pinch, but since neither of them depict the gap between the slat and the leading edge (even when"retracted") , knowing you, you will probably cut off the outboard slats, form replacements, and then mount them on the recontoured leading edge.  You'll also have to trim the Hasegawa strake since the E model differs from the S which Hasegawa uses for both models. Much better visually for a minimum of effort., huh?:hmmm:

Gene K

P.S. This Flight Manual may be of interest.

Yes, you know me....  to be honest, after a close inspection of the Hasegawa kit outer wings, I was fairly disappointed at how flat the slats looked. My first reaction was limited to their supporting braces, but also the missing gap is pretty prominent.... I need to come up with a good plan to fix that, and be able to reproduce it for the FM kit too.

Thank you for the heads up on the strakes, and the Flight Manual too :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, billn53 said:

Oh yes yes yes! This is going to be great! :cheers:
(Sorry for arriving late, I’ll take a spot in back of the room and I promise I’ll be quiet.)

Welcome to you too, Bill :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Whew ... Still on the first page. 

Cheers Dennis, good to have you on board too :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too! Thanks for the ‘ heads up ‘ G.

You sure you’ve got enough AM parts? 😜

John

Probably.... :rofl2: Welcome on board, John :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Hook said:

Consider my chair pulled up, sir!

Welcome Hook :thumbsup: I should warn you that I'm not the fastest builder though, to put it mildly... :) 

5 hours ago, malpaso said:

I shall keep an eye on progress with these.  I am building the Finemolds F-4EJkai and the surface detail is very, very subtle.  The instructions suggest not using surfacer (I assume they mean Mr Surfacer 1000 or similar or even primer at all?); my airbrush-hosing may just mean the paints too much and fills it in!  That said the parts fit together really nicely so far.

Cheers

Will

Welcome Will :thumbsup: At a first glance, some of the detail is very subtle, such as the vari-ramps thousands of holes. The HAsegawa kit is not much different, for that matter, although it sports considerably less detail. We shall see, I guess :) 

3 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Seamless intakes for the Hasegawa F-4.... think I better follow this....

Gondor

Gondor, I had already used this method in this build, if you're interested:

Just browse through it and you'll find a full account, starting from page 1.

18 minutes ago, Web99 said:

You’ll have to show us if that finemolds one builds up nice, had my eye on it for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. 

I don't thin you'll be dispappointed, by the looks of it. Welcome on board :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, CedB said:

Two at once? Madness… :mental::D 

I'm in, of course.

I know - I once said I wasn't going to do a double/multiple build anymore. But then I'm weak.... :D  Plus, with the Museum kits build coming up, it's gonna make for an interesting modelling summer .... :frantic:  :D 

Just now, bbudde said:

Hello G. Of course I'm in for this. The good old Nato Diesel looks pretty cool in almost every scheme.  Yep and the right and essential goodies for the old but reliable Hase kit and furthermore I'm very keen to see the a build of that Fine Mold kit.

Cheers

Welcome to you too, Benedikt! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 7

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Gondor, I had already used this method in this build, if you're interested:

Just browse through it and you'll find a full account, starting from page 1.

I don't thin you'll be dispappointed, by the looks of it. Welcome on board :thumbsup:

Seeing that I have a few of the Hasegawa 1/72 F-4 kits in the stash, 24+ and some of them are double boxings, along with an F-110 of course I am interested

Gondor

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

May I ask what these "Gene's intakes" are and for what kit these are meant? TIA

They are a way for scratch building deeper jet intakes for F-4 Phantom kits that need them, and can be used with a variety of kits (Fujimi, Hasegawa, Monogram, etc)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

They are a way for scratch building deeper jet intakes for F-4 Phantom kits that need them, and can be used with a variety of kits (Fujimi, Hasegawa, Monogram, etc)

Are there any templates available? Would like to try this method in 1/48.

4 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

Are there any templates available? Would like to try this method in 1/48.

When I did my recent Phantom build, I made mine by copying the photo Giemme posted above. You should be able to scale it up for 1/48. With a bit of trial-and-error, it should work. The trickiest part will be finding or making a turbine compressor fan for the back end of the intake. 

I will also follow this double build with attention.

The planned paint schemes are not really of my interest but the building process will for sure be very very interesting. I'm in!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Nachos from Chachos?

Hope there are a couple of chairs left, else I'll have to follow standing up by the wall.

Edited by Robertone139
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2