1/72nd KP Spitfire Mk.Vc X 2,..... A58-103, 457 Sqn and A58-250, SH-K, 85 Sqn, RAAF plus an Airfix Spitfire Vc with HPM update **FINISHED**

Hiya Folks,...... yes I know,.... yet another Aussie Spitfire,..... and probably two!!!

Well I`m already building a Spitfire Mk.Vc in WIP using the High Planes Models update set on an Airfix kit,...... but I also have two KP kits,... so decided to build them together and wanted to have at least one of them in the GB,.... hopefully I`ll build the two KP kits in time as time is running out now! 

If anybody is interested,.... here is the HPM update with the Airfix kit so far,.....

Now I have two KP Spitfire Mk.Vc kits to build here,...... one is the RAAF boxing which includes decals for Spitfire Mk.Vc, A58-103, ZP-Triangle of 457 Sqn RAAF,...... I have already built it in 1/48th scale here;

DSCF7373.jpg

But for some reason I like it so much I also wanted to build it in 1/72nd scale too! The instructions for the kit have some problems when compared to photos of the real aeroplane,... which we`ll cover later,.... I have scribbled some notes on the box to remind me when we get to that stage,.... first,... here are the two kits, plu the decal instructions from the HPM update set;

DSCF0662-NEW.jpg 

And here is the box art for the Australian boxing,.., featuring EE850/ A58-143, UP-Y of 79 Sqn RAAF with its huge Pegasus nose art;

DSCF0641.jpg

But I have already built this aircraft, I think it was the Sword 1/7nd scale kit that I used;

DSCF3310.jpg

Here is the rear of the box,.... with my scribbled notes!

DSCF0645.jpg

As you can see from the notes,..... there are a few photos of this aeroplane in books,.... here is one from the excellent ADF Serials web page showing it on the ground and another from AWM the which may depict the same aircraft in the air .... but as you can see the second photo shows the triangle to the rear of the roundel on the right hand side of the fuselage,..... which doesn`t appear to be the case in other photos,.... so is this photo transposed,.... or is it a different aircraft,......this needs to be looked into further;

spitfire-a58-103.jpg spitfire-vc-zp-triangle.jpg

Here are the sprue shots for the RAAF boxing,...... I also have another boxing that I`m going to wheel out to nd build alongside it,.... I intend to do the second KP model as a silver aircraft using left over decals from the High Planes Models update set;

DSCF0661-NEW.jpg

A closer view;

DSCF0660-NEW.jpg

And here is the first stage of construction,...... the cockpit going together (minus the seat which I have not painted yet!),.... and the wings have been assembled. To stop the exhausts from dropping through their slot and into the fuselage later on I have covered the slots from the inside using lengths of scrap sprue;

DSCF0646.jpg

Next the fuselage is together,.... and th Vokes filter has been assembled too. One thing which I have not liked on other KP Spitfire`s was the squared off section for the windscreen area,.... now I know why they did this,.... so that they can accomodate early style rounded and later style slab sided windscreens onto the same fuselage,.... but I have struggled with fit and always ended up over sanding the seam,..... so I shall try to fettle this into position better,... we`ll see!;  

DSCF0649.jpg

Wings attached next along with the tailplane and rudder,... some tape is needed to try and align everything as well as I could! The Vokes filter needed some fettling too,.... but it wasn`t too had to fit after a bit of sanding;

DSCF0650.jpg

Underneath,.... there is quite a big gap between the wing section and the rear fuselage!

DSCF0651.jpg

Here is the KP kit along with the Airfix kit with HPM resin spinner and narrow cannon bay covers; 

DSCF0652.jpg

Some of the advantages  that the KP kit has over the Airfix kit are superior surface detail,.... plus as seen from the sprues it  also caters for the different sized cannon bay bulges, alternative wheels with well moulded hub detail,  three different propeller options with correctly sized spinners, three different carburettor intakes, ie Vokes and Aboukir tropical filters and the standard size, plus the exhausts are more accurate,.... with two different three stack exhausts and also a set of six stackers too. On the minus side,... it is harder to build, costs more than the Airfix kit, the canopy section is not as good and it is not as widely available!   

DSCF0655.jpg

Well Fudge still isn`t impressed and I think she may even be phoning for help?

DSCF0656.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd KP Spitfire Mk.Vc X 2,..... A pair of Aussies, A58-103, 457 Sqn and A58-250, SH-K, 85 Sqn, RAAF

Hello. Keeping up with you is exhausting. I’ll be making copious notes on this and the other thread.

ZP-🔼 looks interesting I wonder what the thinking behind that marking was?

Trevor

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

air .... but as you can see the second photo shows the triangle to the rear of the roundel on the right hand side of the fuselage,..... which doesn`t appear to be the case in other photos,.... so is this photo transposed,.... or is it a different aircraft,......this needs to be looked into further;

Is it even a triangle?  Might it be an A?  Zooming in I can make out a dot of darker colour in the middle of the triangle.  But it is a fairly fuzzy photo so it could just be a smudge.

AW

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

Is it even a triangle?  Might it be an A?  Zooming in I can make out a dot of darker colour in the middle of the triangle.  But it is a fairly fuzzy photo so it could just be a smudge.

AW

I agree,.... I thought the same AW,..... but it does look like a triangle. Just thought it was too interesting not to research further before adding decals

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Hello. Keeping up with you is exhausting. I’ll be making copious notes on this and the other thread.

ZP-🔼 looks interesting I wonder what the thinking behind that marking was?

Trevor

LOL,....  No worries Trevor. The RAAF went in for quite a few markings like this,.... diamonds were another,.... not sure of their use to be fair?  

Right then,..... I got on with the second KP Spitfire last night and this morning and as I didn`t want to bore you with exactly the same construction pics of the interior etc,...... here it is not that it has caught up with the other one!

DSCF0666-NEW.jpg

And here they are with the Airfix/HPM Spit;

DSCF0667-NEW.jpg

So I got on with sanding all three together,.... also,... as the subjects of the KP kits both had oil collector rings behind the spinner,... I started to replcate these by first adding a section of thin plastic card;. The KP propellers can be seen in the background but I found the propeller blades a bit too fat and the spinner a bit bulbous,... even more so than the Airfix kit ;

DSCF0670-NEW.jpg

DSCF0675-NEW.jpg

DSCF0676-NEW.jpg

I  had a go at sanding the nearest spinner to make it a bit sharper and less bulbous than the furthest one,.... and then repeated the exercise,.... I also sanded the front of the propeller blades to make them look flatter;

DSCF0679-NEW.jpg

Then started on the oil collectors,... sanding them to shape,..... and using the prop spinner as a guide,..... the one on the right is part done,....

DSCF0683-NEW.jpg

And the canopies were fitted next,...... something of a bogey moment for me in the past with this kit! 

DSCF0682-NEW.jpg

Both canopies have since been fitted and some filler applied around the edges,..... wish me luck!! 

I also got some Dark Earth applied to the Airfix/HPM Spit!

DSCF0685-NEW.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Proper production line going there Tony! Lovely finish on the painted one.

I've got more Spitfires than I thought to build, maybe I'll start up a similar line in the future, got a few decals for them.

Davey.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Proper production line going there Tony! Lovely finish on the painted one.

I've got more Spitfires than I thought to build, maybe I'll start up a similar line in the future, got a few decals for them.

Davey.

Cheers Davey,..... sometimes it is better to build a few than just one! More than three is a bit much for me in one go mind you! 

• Like 1

Another update,......

.... I`ve got the KP Spits sanded and ready to paint now,... not sure whether to alter the spinners anymore,.... don`t want to wreck them;

DSCF0687-NEW.jpg

Got a few coats of Dark Earth one one and some rattle can silver on the other,.... and painted the spinners to see what they look like;

DSCF0691-NEW.jpg

And here with the Airfix/HPM model,... which I`ve given a coat of RAAF Earth Brown;

DSCF0690-NEW.jpg

So that is it for now,.... next to add the anti glare panel to the silver Spit and paint the Foliage Green camo onto the other two!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Another update,.....

I started painting the disruptive pattern onto the camouflaged aircraft,...... and used my 1/48th model as a guide. Having realised that the Dark Earth was just too light I applied RAAF Earth Brown, followed by Foliage Green,... but it is much darker than the paint I used years ago on my larger model;                            

DSCF0697-NEW.jpg

DSCF0699-NEW.jpg

I have also sanded down the rear of each spinner to make the back plate thinner and this seems to have helped the look,....... here are both of the KP Spits,.....wearing camouflage and the silver one has had its black anti glare panel applied along with a darker section of metal on the spine in front of the fin;

DSCF0702-NEW.jpg

And here they are with the Airfix/HPM Spit with its work in progress banded spinner;

DSCF0700-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

Talk about fast. I thought I was going fast with my Corsair,  but I only just got the bottom surfaces painted. No match to your progress.  I'm aiming for an end of the week finish. This would be a all time quickest build for me.

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,........ and another update,......

Well,.... in the light of day (as opposed to a night lamp) I was not happy with the camouflage colours,..... so I decided to repaint the camouflaged Spit,. So,.... I gave it a light sanding,...

DSCF0706.jpg

Gave it a couple of thin coats of Dark Earth,...... with the green still showing through,...... then started to paint the green areas using US Dark Green;

DSCF0713.jpg

After the first coat of green;

DSCF0719.jpg

DSCF0720.jpg

I also repainted the Foliage Green sections of the Airfix/HPM model using the same US Dark Green,.... but left the Earth Brown in place;

DSCF0716.jpg

I have also had a go at weathering the anti glare panel on the silver KP Spit,..... as the real aircraft was rathe weather beaten. For this I lightly sanded and scraped the black paint to reveal the silver underneath;

DSCF0722.jpg

Here are both KP Spit`s so far,..... the camouflaged one needs at least another coat of green yet,..... I have also added some Aue Blue to the undersides;

DSCF0724.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Tony

How did you apply the Ventura decals on your Corsair. I think I read that you had problems with then sticking down too quickly.  I'm sure I had the same issue on my Finnish Bi plane a few years ago. Do you think using a lot of water and no Micro set will help.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Tony

How did you apply the Ventura decals on your Corsair. I think I read that you had problems with then sticking down too quickly.  I'm sure I had the same issue on my Finnish Bi plane a few years ago. Do you think using a lot of water and no Micro set will help.

Greg,.... the Ventura decals for the Corsair went on beautifully,..... using luke warm water and applying a very small amount of Humbrol Decalfix, just in case... but it wasn`t needed. I sealed them in using Humbrol enamel gloss varnish. Not sure if Ventura ever did decals for a Finnish biplane?

Back to the Spitfire`s,..... another update,.....

Both KP Spit`s are now painted and have had a coat of Humbrol enamel gloss varnish applied,..... they might need another before the decals can go on though! The nearest Spit with the propeller blades laid out is the Airfix Spit with HPM update set which is being built alongside the KP Spit`s.; 

DSCF0761-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Proper production line going there Tony very impressed. 

I hope you don't mind me asking but what is the non Spitfire trying to hide top left ?

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat,.... oh yeah,... that is a Sea Balliol! I started it years ago, Alley Cat resin,..... but the undercarriage legs snapped and I`ve just got some replacements,...... it has been broken and duffed up a bit while on the shelf of doom. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Proper production line going there Tony very impressed. 

I hope you don't mind me asking but what is the non Spitfire trying to hide top left ?

Cheers Pat 

There’s a moth of some type lurking in the photo also.

AW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Having had another look perhaps a Wildcat or Hellcat in FAA colours is also to be seen ?

Tony did you do this deliberately  ? :goodjob:

Looks like a Martlet and there looks to be a B.P. Balliol sitting on the paint 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

There’s a moth of some type lurking in the photo also.

AW

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Gypsy moth ? 

No just went digging it looks like a Fox moth ? 

It is a Fox Moth,..... I`ve mentioned it in other replies above. It will be a SEAC ambulance. 

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Having had another look perhaps a Wildcat or Hellcat in FAA colours is also to be seen ?

Tony did you do this deliberately  ? :goodjob:

LOL... no didn`t do it deliberately mate,.... it is an Arma 1/72nd Wildcat Mk.VI,...... almost finished,.... you`ll see it shortly,.... it became stalled due to the GB!! . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another update,.... got the decals on the pair of KP Spits and the Airfix/HPM one too,......

The Airfix/HPM model is coded CRC for Clive Caldwell and one of the decal iptions for the HPM set has also been used on the silver KP Spit too. The other KP Spit,... coded ZP- Triangle was to have been decalled using the kit decals,..... but I ended up replaced all of the decals from the spares box apart from the upper wing roundels!! It is hard to be sure,.... but I think that the CRC codes are just off,.... either too small or too thin,.... they just don`t look right,.... which is a shame.

DSCF0770-NEW.jpg 

Here is the silver KP Spit,.... all decals from the HPM conversion set,.... I still need to find some stencils for the propeller blades,.... I did find some on an Xtradecal B-17/B-24 set but they disintegrated in the water!

DSCF0773-NEW.jpg

And here is the other KP Spit,..... I did intend to use the kit decals,... which is why I bought the kit,..... but the codes were too small, the triangle was light blue when I think it was white, the serial was far too tiny and the fuselage and under wing roundels were too small! I used roundels and the ZP codes from an old Smer Spitfire Vc kit,....and the triangle was cut from white decal;

DSCF0772-NEW.jpg

This is the Airfix kit with the HPM update,.... wearing the CRC codes for Clive Caldwell,.... as I said,... they just don`t look right,.... see what you think compared to the real thing,.. taken while the decals were being applied;

DSCF0767.jpg

The photo also shows that the upper wing roundels have been converted with a smaller white section,... so a set of spares box roundels from a Vengeance were used;

DSCF0775-NEW.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

On 02/05/2021 at 04:31, tonyot said:

Greg,.... the Ventura decals for the Corsair went on beautifully,..... using luke warm water and applying a very small amount of Humbrol Decalfix, just in case... but it wasn`t needed. I sealed them in using Humbrol enamel gloss varnish. Not sure if Ventura ever did decals for a Finnish biplane?

Tony you were right they were excellent decals. I just put all the main ones on the Corsair and they went on like a dream. 👍

• Like 1