Schiphol Terminal Building 1928- how's your Dutch?

One of my motivations for this GB was to finally get this one built! It's a download and print model of the terminal building at Amsterdam Schiphol from 1928. The architects noorderlicht architekten were involved in the building of the replica of this for the Aviodrome project in 2003...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviodrome 

Conveniently they produced a cardboard model as part of their PR work and it's still tucked away in a corner of the 'net

https://nieuw.noorderlicht.net/projecten/schiphol-1928/

On page 8, but the pictures before that are great.

Long ago plan A was to resize it to 1/144 but I"ve not got round to that, so the NEW Plan A was to just build it and print it (though I won't be bothering with the little DC2 that's included). As it's our turn to provide residential care for my father-in-law this weekend, it was going to be a bash out and build to keep me out of studfifying boredom, but I forgot to bring my steel rule...

So that LATEST Plan A is to at least make a start and see how I get on. Adding to the fun is I don't really speak Dutch so I've not bothered with the instructions; hoping it's fairly self-explanatory, certainly enough of the tabs seem to be labelled.

I'm not the first down this path

https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/architectural-models/30245-schiphol-1928-a.html

Here then is the sprue, or as has been suggested for card models, the spruce shot

PXL-20210422-132126314.jpg 

On the original Plan A I was going to print it out and back it on stiff card, but for this version of Plan A, I've gone for 220gsm light card and hope for the best (though the base is reinforced with the box from the pizza that I had for lunch to reinforce me)

PXL-20210424-150810247.jpg 

This is the airside elevation, and already those classic lines are apparent, including the stepped roof line (which I admit I hadn't bargained for)

Round the back

PXL-20210424-150823965.jpg 

You can see just how many tabs there are for what I assume will be a clerestory window line.

• Like 9

I like that (dat vind ik leuk)! Interesting and unusual. I've just read through the blurb about the Schiphol building on the Noorderlicht website and I'm enlightened - I wasn't aware of the Aviodrome reconstruction before now. Quite a project, and it looks great with the Connie being towed past!

I've dabbled in card modelling but never with 'keepable' results, so I'll be following this thread. Who knows? I might even download my own mini-Schiphol...

Jon

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jonners said:

I've dabbled in card modelling but never with 'keepable' results, so I'll be following this thread.

I'm not promising keepable results from this! So far everything is going against it, but at least I've sorted out my luifel from my dak so that's lekker!

14 hours ago, Jonners said:

I might even download my own mini-Schiphol...

Just messing around with it here, I do wonder if I might come back to it one day on the original Plan A. Scaled to 1:144, even the frontage alone would make an atmospheric backdrop for some aircraft- maybe even a Connie! If my Dutch did get that far, the original lasted until 1943 so it could be a back scene for some Luffwaffe builds even. Even making the whole thing would be smaller than @airfixpeter's B-17 build! or probably @Dave_R's university! And I'm further inspired by @TonyW with his Ford Dealership project.

This one could run and run!

Edited by Mjwomack
  • Like 2

So a luigel is a canopy or porch and a dak is a roof...

PXL-20210425-124935746.jpg 

Basic assembly will be finished tonight- it's a lovely distractions from emptying the catheter and bed bath routine😏. Alas, too late in the day I've realised that some of the details were a lot more sophisticated than I realised and can't hep but think I'll come back to this for a 'proper' go one day. The nice things about download and print is that it takes up no space at all in the stash.

I've had a go at scaling it and think it's around 1:400, so to enlarge it to 1:144 would make it about 50 cms long.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

but at least I've sorted out my luifel from my dak so that's lekker!

Hahaha... good one! You're obviously a quick study 😉 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

One of our children has lived in Harlem for the past 3 years which helps 😉

2 A`s in Haarlem The Netherlands,Harlem is a Neighborhood in New York City, New York😈

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

2 A`s in Haarlem The Netherlands,Harlem is a Neighborhood in New York City, New York😈

This is true, even after all this time my phone autocorrects 🙄. I think it felt it had learnt enough Dutch for one day, though I'd argue that lekker is Afrikaans because another of our children lived in South Africa and that was where I learnt it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

though I'd argue that lekker is Afrikaans because another of our children lived in South Africa and that was where I learnt it!

I'd argue against that because I already knew the word before I went to SA and discovered they use it there 😉 

• Haha 1

Given that the original Afrikaaners were of Dutch origin I would suspect that the word originated in the Netherlands and was taken with them to Africa, though over time it may have mutated?

Pete

33 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Given that the original Afrikaaners were of Dutch origin I would suspect that the word originated in the Netherlands and was taken with them to Africa, though over time it may have mutated?

Pete

Mundane but true. Apparently Afrikaans is to Dutch what Shakespearean English is to the modern version

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:48 PM, Mjwomack said:

lekker is Afrikaans

True, but it's also Dutch. Lekker and leuk are very similar, but lekker is more of a sensory 'nice' whereas leuk is more of an emotional response (I think!). You could also use mooi to describe a presentational response, so I would say that the Aviodrome reconstruction is mooi", but knowing you leufel from your dak is leuk!

🤓

But then, of course, I'm not Dutch so might have learned it completely incorrectly!

Sorry - I'm being dull. After all, this is a modelling forum!

Jon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:02 PM, Jonners said:

True, but it's also Dutch. Lekker and leuk are very similar, but lekker is more of a sensory 'nice' whereas leuk is more of an emotional response (I think!). You could also use mooi to describe a presentational response, 

Women are of course the exception to these rules as they can be lekker, leuk and mooi all at once unless of course they are oerlelijk ....

• Haha 2

It's only taken me a week to get round to photographing it..

PXL-20210503-145037670.jpg 

With my favourite Escher as a backdrop; Night and Day is a woodcut from 1938 so pretty much the right period. This has been rather a case of period modelling, so I tell myself. Having forgotten to take a steel rule with me I had to cut by hand and everything is a bit cruder than it should be as a result, however I do feel it's given it an appropriate feel if not the current techniques that I wanted to use.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll get to see the original- both the terminal building and the original Escher (though that would be a return visit😉)

• Like 5