Douglas Devastator, USS Enterprise, Wake Island, 1942

Always been a neat looking plane. Model looks great. There’s a couple of these in the water off the US coast someplace, but the navy won’t help salvage them. Think they’re the only ones left.

• Thanks 1

Beautifully done!  Looks how I would imagine the real thing.  What specific operation against/in support of Wake Island was this in reference to?  My understanding is that the Japanese subdued Wake pretty early on, and that we mounted a commando attack against it (using a select force of Marines) somewhat later.

• Thanks 1

Without a doubt, this is the most realistic USN blue-grey/grey finish I have ever seen- looks like real metal, not a plastic model. What an incredible build, and the weathering and scuffing are absolutely characteristic of a TBD! In b&w, these pics  would be impossible to tell from  period photos.

Mike

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  Looks how I would imagine the real thing.  What specific operation against/in support of Wake Island was this in reference to?  My understanding is that the Japanese subdued Wake pretty early on, and that we mounted a commando attack against it (using a select force of Marines) somewhat later.

Thanks, between Pearl Harbour and Coral Sea, the US Navy undertook a series of offensives against the Japanese at Wake, Marshall and Marcus Islands amongst others. This would be the operation referred to, I think. Hence the bombs as opposed to torpedo loaded. 

Cheers Russ

Beautiful Russ,...... I thought that it was the real thing,..... honestly mate,...... this is one of your best and that is saying something,..... well done indeed.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Without a doubt, this is the most realistic USN blue-grey/grey finish I have ever seen- looks like real metal, not a plastic model. What an incredible build, and the weathering and scuffing are absolutely characteristic of a TBD! In b&w, these pics  would be impossible to tell from  period photos.

Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself and I wholly agree!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Russ.........this Devastator looks just like the actual one.  I stand in awe of your impressive skills and accuracy of detail.  I would be proud to have this one in my display cabinet.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hello Russ,

Model looks fantastic, just like your photographic skills.

Always a pleasure to study your contributions.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

How did you do the finish/weathering?

I started with base coats of Humbrol 157 for the top and light grey 64 for the lower surfaces. then drew the panel lines lines in with a mechanical pencil, then gloss and decal followed by matt coat. then drew the panel lines over the decals with pencil.

Then knocked the pencil lines back a bit by dry brushing with short stiff brush using dark and light olive drabs. next added faded areas by dry brushing with medium and light greys and rubbing it about with my thumb before fully dry to blend it all together a bit, then dry brushed and stippled aluminium to scuffed and chipped areas. Dry brushed dark grey and light olive drab in strategic places to suggest oil stains/heavy maintenance etc. Then final matt coat to bring it all together.

Hope that makes sense. 

Thanks for your interest and for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, russ c said:

I started with base coats of Humbrol 157 for the top and light grey 64 for the lower surfaces. then drew the panel lines lines in with a mechanical pencil, then gloss and decal followed by matt coat. then drew the panel lines over the decals with pencil.

Then knocked the pencil lines back a bit by dry brushing with short stiff brush using dark and light olive drabs. next added faded areas by dry brushing with medium and light greys and rubbing it about with my thumb before fully dry to blend it all together a bit, then dry brushed and stippled aluminium to scuffed and chipped areas. Dry brushed dark grey and light olive drab in strategic places to suggest oil stains/heavy maintenance etc. Then final matt coat to bring it all together.

Hope that makes sense. 

Thanks for your interest and for looking

Cheers Russ

Yep it does, never thought of using olive. Thanks.

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Wow!  I'm going to use Mike's quote as well because I couldn't express those thoughts any better.   Another amazing build from you Russ, man you've got an incredible style going on!  :worthy:

• Thanks 1