SAS & LRDG in North Africa

Simon Dyer

Hi Folks

Im currently building an SAS Jeep to go with an LRDG Chevy that I have already made. I just have a couple of questions that Im hoping somebody may be able to shed a bit of light on.

1). I think read somewhere online (but cannot for the life of me find it now) that both LRDG & SAS units used captured German range finders, periscopes and binoculars because of their superior optics.  Could anyone confirm if this is correct?? in particular the S.F.14 (Rabbit Ear) periscope and the EM34 range finder.  I would like to if so add them to the final diorama

2). Has anyone have an idea what the below picture is of.  I initially thought it was some sort of mine but quickly dispelled that idea. The only other thing I can think of its some sort of water bottle (leather collapsible possibly), have looked online but cannot seem to find anything.  I should have done a size comparison photo but its a bit larger in diameter than a Vickers K drum magazine but not as deep.  Its out of curiosity more than anything, but I like to know what it is I'm putting on a kit and what sort of colour it should be.

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks, stay safe

Si

spacer.png

Thanks for the info folks much appreciated. 

I found this a bit spooky really. I very rarely watch TV but on the day I posted this that evening watched a Combat Dealer episode. You could have knocked me down with a feather. Bruce Cromton bought exactly the same thing for a GMC truck he had just purchased. See what I mean about spooky 😱

Thanks again for coming back to me 

Si