Algerian MiG-15 UTI, 60's to 80's***FINISHED 07/05/2021 ***

DaveyGair

Here's the second MiG-15 I'm doing for this GB, an Algerian Trainer.  Will be OOB hopefully using the nice PE supplied and hopefully should be a straight forward build. Doing this in tandem with the Egyptian one as explained in that thread.

Davey.

DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 6

Along with the Egyptian '15bis this morning I got some assembly done. I always try to paint as much completed sections in one go as possible. I test fitted the cockpit assembly and it seems to fit nice and snug with the fuselage halves closing up without gaps showing, unlike the other kit but that might just be me!

Again, still to paint the interior bits and fit the PE stuff, usually I shy away from this but it looks really nicely done so I'll give them a go.

I glued the wings together, forgetting to pre-drill the holes in one of them for the drop tanks I'll be using on this one! Fortunately you can see marks on the other side of the moulding where to drill through so all is not lost!

More soon.

Davey.

PS to myself : I must add weight to the nose of these to avoid them tail-sitting like the Marauder I just completed!

DSC_0007 DSC_0008

• Like 7

@DaveyGair The only issue I had was the part for the inter-cockpit separator, which had snapped. It is, as you will know, very fragile. It is, like the whole kit, beaitifully fine and detailed, though :). Watch the nose weight. She demands a lot! 

Martin

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@DaveyGair The only issue I had was the part for the inter-cockpit separator, which had snapped. It is, as you will know, very fragile. It is, like the whole kit, beaitifully fine and detailed, though :). Watch the nose weight. She demands a lot! 

Martin

I was wondering about the nose weight, having forgotten all about it in my SAAF Marauder build, I have some lead pellets lying around somewhere and some Lead flashing I got off my dad years ago he used for the flying models he did.

Any idea what weight roughly?

Davey.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:00 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I’d say as much as you can get in her! For my current MiG-17s Airfix say 20g! In the end my UTI was still a tail sitter! ;(. 

Got the cockpit detailed and together, only lost one small part (one of the red ejector handles?).

So I've gotten as much weight in there as I could, lead shot in front of the cockpit and bits of flashing under it, hopefully I've got enough to prevent her tail-sitting!

The fuselage went together beautifully apart from having to nip together the very front . The wings seem a good fit, a little bit of trimming here and there should see filler free joins.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0008 DSC_0005

DSC_0009 DSC_0013

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

Nice looking cockpit Davey!

Cheers, courtesy of Eduard pre-painted PE, I just needed a steady hand and cheap, strong reading glasses! Getting harder to handle the small bits the older I get though!

Davey.

Airframe(s) together, pictured with the Egyptian '15bis I have going on at the same time. The wings were a bit more of a faff than I thought, being very tight fitting and needing shaving/filing to get to seat right, the '15bis was a bit worse than this one. Ready for a shot of primer.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

Next two pictures are of a coat of Grey primer which revealed a couple of joins I had to work on, then I gave it a coat of RLM 76 underneath. Hardening off ready for masking for the uppers.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0004 DSC_0009

• Like 5

Got the upper colours done over the weekend, in between being dragged out into the fresh air by SWMBO!  I used Vallejo ModelAir Desert Tan with a little Yellow Sand added as it looked too 'Tan'. I used Vallejo ModelAir British Khaki Green No.3 which looks more Green than the light in the photos show.

Just got to do the decals and final bits and pieces to finish on these two MiG's, thoroughly enjoyable builds. an Egyptian '21 PFM may join them along with, maybe, a Mali MF.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001

DSC_0002

• Like 4

Got the decalling done yesterday and the final coats of varnish, in this case Vallejo Matt to flatten things off.  Got all the myriad of small things to do now like the undercarriage and canopies, aerials and such, should be done soon 😁

Unusual colour layout on the upper nose/avionics(?) cover, maybe off a different aircraft.  A search for this aircraft didn't result in any photo's, just going off the kit plan.

Trying to get different light to show the true colours but with little effect, I'm not a great photographer!

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0007 DSC_0008

• Like 3

• DaveyGair changed the title to Algerian MiG-15 UTI, 60's to 80's***FINISHED 07/05/2021 ***

Here we are all finished. Quite pleased with this one, I think the camo' scheme really sets it off.

Once again I managed to get enough weight in the front to prevent a tail-sitter 😁.

Having enjoyed these two Eduard quality builds I'm now going to do at least one of the two MiG-21's I have, so see you over there!

Davey.

DSC_0013 DSC_0015

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi Davey,

I was just looking at some of your builds in the Gallery. I'm very impressed with your airbrushed camo schemes.

May I ask how you go about masking up for the various colours in the camo patterns?

Cheers.