Mercedes L 4500

Lummox

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since the last update, sadly life has got in the way so progress has been less than I had hoped. But there has been some progress, but firstly the usual belated responses...

On 4/16/2024 at 4:36 PM, NIK122 said:

Well I've run out of superlatives so what can I say!? Not bad, not bad at all!😎

Thank you Nik. I'll take 'not bad' any day of the week. :smile:

On 4/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, Pig of the Week said:

Stroke of luck having the proper hooter grille thing 😁

Looking the dogs doodahs anyway.... 

Cheers Mr P. It was certainly fortunate to have a suitable hooter lying around. All I need now is for those lottery numbers to pop in. :wink:

On 4/16/2024 at 5:54 PM, Keeff said:

Outstanding work, improvisation and scratch building Paul!  It's all looking superb .... 👌 

Thanks Keith, much appreciated. 👍

On 4/17/2024 at 7:20 AM, Hamden said:

In total agreement with my learned colleagues above - stunning work and attention to detail as always!

Cheers Roger, very kind of you to say. 👍

On 4/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, Jochen Barett said:

Anyway,  late again: German Hupen (Hupe one single klaxon, Hupen more than one) come from Bosch (not from Klaxon) and in case you search for or talk about "Hupen" be advised it is a German slang word like "bristols" (referencing precisely those, but not in the sense of helicopters or cars).

Thanks Jochen. You never fail to be a hive of fascinating information - it's amazing the things you learn on a modelling forum. :smile:

Right, now for the update...

The weather has finally improved slightly to allow me to venture into the shed paint booth without risking frostbite. Some paint has therefore been sloshed around, starting with a 'scale-black' grayish colour on the chassis. What do you mean you can't tell the difference from the primed pictures posted previously! It is gray, honest. :smile:

20240503-1.jpg

I thought I'd try this paint set for the dunkelgelb. Worth a go, let's see how things pan out..

20240503-2.jpg

Several hours of tedious fiddly masking resulted in this abomination...

20240503-3.jpg

...a few minutes of spraying gave this...

20240503-4.jpg

...which resulted in this once all the masking was ripped off. Hmmm, does that dunkelgelb look a bit light to you? I didn't use the highlight shades either:

20240503-5.jpg

There's the odd over-spray here and there, so touch-ups will be necessary, but generally I'm quite happy with how the masking went. The dunkelgelb definitively looks a bit light to me though. Hopefully the subsequent weathering will tone things down a tad:

20240503-6.jpg

20240503-7.jpg

Preparation for painting the wheels was a much simpler process, the kit tyres being an ideal mask for painting the resin replacements:

20240503-8.jpg

A quick spray and we end up with these:

20240503-9.jpg

The modelling gods were certainly smiling as the dreaded paint lift was limited to two areas, both of which will happily be hidden (the spare wheel on the side which will be facing the floor of the bed, and the front axle which will be hidden by the wheel):

20240503-10.jpg

So that's the base coats down - things seem to be processing, albeit slowly.

Unfortunately work commitments mean I'll for away from the bench for a few weeks. Such is life, but hey, it pays the bills. :wink:

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 10

Well, all that masking effort was worth it Paul ..... the chassis looks really good, and nice to see some colour on it! 😆

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brilliant!... interesting to see some paint on it, I'd become accustomed to all the plastic and lovely PE 😁

As regards a bit of overspray, I bet there was loads on the real thing and doubt they were anything like as careful as you are! 

Ps the colour doesn't look too light at all, not to me at least... 

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keeff said:

Well, all that masking effort was worth it Paul ..... the chassis looks really good, and nice to see some colour on it! 😆

Cheers Keith. I agree, a bit of colour makes things start to come alive.

2 hours ago, NIK122 said:

Great stuff, it's already looking excellent.

What colour did you use for the tyre base coat?

Thanks Nik. The tyre colour was a home brew of these two from Vallejo. I tend to do mixing by eye (which causes no end of problems if touch ups are required) but I think this was a simple 50:50 mix:

20240503-11.jpg

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Brilliant!... interesting to see some paint on it, I'd become accustomed to all the plastic and lovely PE 😁

As regards a bit of overspray, I bet there was loads on the real thing and doubt they were anything like as careful as you are! 

Ps the colour doesn't look too light at all, not to me at least... 

Cheers Mr P, and encouraging to hear that the colour looks OK. 👍

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Coming along a treat. DG looks good to me too.:thumbsup:

Thanks Stef. If the DG looks good to you I'll take that as a win (which is a relief as I didn't fancy all that masking again for a colour change :smile:).

Paul.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lummox said:

It's been a while since the last update, +++

Unfortunately work commitments mean I'll for away from the bench for a few weeks. Such is life, but hey, it pays the bills. :wink:

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

Don't rush it! Remember you promised to keep entertaining us with this build well into 2026.  👍  :popcorn:

• Haha 2

On 19/12/2021 at 20:04, Jochen Barett said:

Wonder if we have somebody aboard who is fluent in cyrillic to translate the text for us (if it touches that intereseting payload). Anybody?

https://p.calameoassets.com/120814121529-7f5fb91dd904f348d01b4cd3b18dc6d4/p48.jpg

p48.jpg

Regarding the Spriegel-holders, the etch parts do look nicer, or at least "more in scale" (open, rebend/reshape, shorten if neccessary, resolder).

The "piggy back trucking" thing ... OK, the police man looks like a German police man (and "Gerüstbau" is German for "scaffolding"), but who knows more about the truck driver? The load is not tied down properly 😉

I came across a person speaking cyrillic, and supposedly the truck in the upper picture "belongs to an unknown unit transporting concrete mixers somewhere along to the Westwall. The road trains with more than one trailer were dangerous on the autbahn. 7,2 litre engine, 100 hp, easily recognised Triplex wheels.".

I'll google 1930-40ies European concrete mixers to verify this claim "later".

• Like 1

• Like 1