SAAF Marauder Mk.III, 30 Sqn, Italy, 1944

Here's a build I did over on the 'Africa' GB if you care to have look.

It was bit tougher than expected, I really think Airfix should do a re-tool like they did with their excellent B-25, I'm sure it would be a winner as the Hasegawa one seems impossible to obtain and expensive when you can!

Lots of mould mark removal, lots of test fitting and lots of sanding was the order of the day. I started to lose interest and perhaps could have spent a bit more time on finishing the joins, etc, but I think I got a reasonable result.

I was told about the elevators being too big but didn't bother correcting that, they do look too big compared to photos!

GUESS WHO FORGOT TO ADD NOSE WEIGHT!  I've done nothing but tail-sitters since getting back into modelling a few years ago and just totally forgot :banghead:.

I added guns out of the spares box and had to scratch-build something for the turret to mount the guns but apart from that it's OOB.

Vallejo ModelAir Dark Olive Drab and Dark Earth for the uppers, I didn't have the other Green used for the splotches on the wing leading and trailing edges and what I did use didn't make a good enough definition but it's there! I used Medium Sea Grey for the lower colour as I didn't have Neutral Grey, but looks Ok to me.

Decals went on well with Humbrol Decalfix after a coat of 'Klear'. Vallejo Matt varnish was airbrushed to finish.

Minimal weathering as usual for me even though photos of (USAAF ones anyway) these aircraft always seem to show an extremely worn finish.

Comments and Criticism welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0013 DSC_0012 DSC_0010 DSC_0007 DSC_0006 DSC_0003 DSC_0002

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Very nice work, Davey. 👍

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done classic!  I never built an Airfix Marauder, as I was always content with the Monogram snap-tites, which I understand are really hard to find, too.

10 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

An excellent job on the old Airfix !

Wulfman

Thanks everyone. This boxing was the last one they released last year, or was it 2019?

Anyway, the mould is showing its age now and they really should do anew tool. I would love to tackle the USAAF one with the 'Big Hairy Bird' markings!

Davey.

• 3 months later...