Jump to content

Dakota Mk.III and Dakota Mk.IV differences - can the Airfix MkIII build a MkIV?


Recommended Posts

Can anyone tell me if the Airfix Dakota Mk.III will build a Dakota Mk.IV or are there external differences that the kit doesn't cover? 

Or alternatively could someone could point me in the direction of suitable aftermarket decals for a silver or camouflaged (with British paint colours not American) RAF Dakota Mk.III

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to British Warplanes of WW2 (ed. Daniel J March, Aerospace Publishing), the Dakota Mk.III was a C-47A, and the Mk.IV was a C-47B. This book also states that

the C-47B differed from the A model by having R-1830-90 or -90B engines with "high-altitude blowers" and extra fuel capacity. It's quite possible that external differences were minimal.

HTH.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Air Arsenal North America has a photograph of a mark IV "note the larger air intakes on the top of the engine cowling when compared to the Mk.III"

 

After that comes the differences between the various blocks of C-47A and B, an incomplete list can be found at,

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Differences are so minimal relating to the engine length nobodys noticed that all dakota kits to date are technically wrong by offering one engine/cowling , though really would be trivial and pointless given the difference must be a fraction of a mm in 1/72 scale.  In short, build the one you want from the kit 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Differences are so minimal relating to the engine length nobodys noticed that all dakota kits to date are technically wrong by offering one engine/cowling , though really would be trivial and pointless given the difference must be a fraction of a mm in 1/72 scale.  In short, build the one you want from the kit 

Do you mean the cowling length is for R2000 "postwar" version, with R-1830 fitted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fernandocouto said:

Do you mean the cowling length is for R2000 "postwar" version, with R-1830 fitted?

I mispoke, the cowling probably isn't any longer, just the engine inside is fractionally longer being an R1830 with two speed superchargers. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting point.  Adding a second stage to the gearbox or supercharger certainly added noticeable length to the Hurricane and Spitfire, 4 inches in the Hurricane's case and perhaps a little more for the Spitfire.  (I've not seen the latter recorded, so if anyone knows the true value please get in touch.)  However, these were single-engined aircraft built to a tight design, so it is possible that there was extra space behind the engine in the C-47 to avoid lengthening the cowling or nacelle.  I'm quite sure that any such difference isn't seen on any model, or mentioned on plans I've seen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be the carb intakes on top of the engine fairings. Two types generally supplied in kits long ones and short ones. Pick and choose which looks right and a refferal to photos will help.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 2:46 PM, Paul J said:

It could be the carb intakes on top of the engine fairings. Two types generally supplied in kits long ones and short ones. Pick and choose which looks right and a refferal to photos will help.

 

I think there are actually three possible lengths of carb intake for a C-47. I would imagine that checking references is the only way to be sure of getting the right variety. 

 

To answer the OP's second question, there is an aftermarket decal sheet for an all-silver 1/72 Dakota (1948, Oakington based I think). My son made it a while ago. I can try to find the details if that helps, but I'm pretty sure it came from Hannants website. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Or alternatively could someone could point me in the direction of suitable aftermarket decals for a silver or camouflaged (with British paint colours not American) RAF Dakota Mk.III

 

Hello, Adam. Would this sheet from Blackbird Models fit the bill? 

 

If not, Kits-World has a camouflaged Dakota Mk.III used by BOAC:

 

spacer.png

 

HTH.

Edited by Fukuryu
Adding other option.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...