1/48 Tamiya A6M3

Hi Guys !

On to my next plane, number 2 !

After building the 1/72 version of this i wanted to try detailing a larger size, so ordered Tamiyas 1/48 A6M3 HAMP..

Ive built detailed cars for years, so ive got a reasonable idea what goes where. But planes are new to me, its a fresh challenge, but i have to copy internet pics mainly for reference.

I also picked up an Eduard cockpit detail set and seatbelts, but then found out an A6M3 is totally different inside to the A6M5 parts i bought...

Still, I`ll carry on, some parts are okay still !

Not finished yet but heres what i have so far, I didnt like the flat p/e wiring so used solder wire to make my own. Still got seat belts etc etc and then start the side panels.

Thanks for looking, as usual feel free to pick out mistakes etc as Im still new to all this !

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks guys,

Cockpit is almost complete, Ive tidied up a few bits, added the seatbelts and glued the seat and the `stick` into place.

There was no seat height adjuster so i made one from a p/e piece and wire.

I noticed the machine guns had no detail so added p/e handles to the sides of the guns. a p/e ring was also added to the gun sights.

Made a start on the cockpit sides too, bit more to add maybe later when i find some pics to copy...

Also need to get some of that greeny blue mettalic colour for the insides, but that can wait !

Thanks for looking in !

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been waiting ages for the blue/green mettalic colour to arive, but its finally arrived !

Inside painted, and the basic plane put together... Now paint !

This is the first `layer`, Tamiya XF11 on top, XF14 on the bottom and fades..

Next is a clear coat, then weathering, transfers, chipping and finally a matt coat !

Wish me luck eh  !

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heres where the paint is so far, I wanted it to look a bit old and tatty, like most of the pics ive seen of real ones...

Im surprised the yellow on the wings, and the red panel outline behind was not included in the decal sheet ?  I had to go through my old car decals and make these ...

Anyway its coming along, bit more silver scratches etc and then im building the undercarriage etc

Thanks for looking !

spacer.png

• Like 2