Deep Bronze Green-Who's Paint Do You use?

tmeyer

Hello All,

I've looked around for deep bronze green (for bombs) and I wonder what brand/colour you use for deep bronze green?  I know Humbrol 75 is bronze green, but I'm wondering what other options I may have.  this Yank is a bit confused, too, by the seemingly similar to olive drab colour on weathered bombs and the slightly greener colour on newer/less weathered bombs.

Thank you!

Tom

Hello Tom,

Humbrol 75 is an excellent match for British Dark Green. It is much duller than the green used on British bombs.

I would try a mix of Humbrol paints 3 and 100; Brunswick Green is bright enough and rusty red (Hu 100) is very strong paint to turn the shade towards a bronze green. Only a few droplets will do the job.

Cheers,

Antti

Colourcoats produce a wide range of British Army colours including the bronze greens.   H75 used to be a superb match for Deep Bronze Green but changed some time back to a duller colour.  Not olive enough for Dark Green, I'd have thought, unless they have changed it again.

• Like 1

FS34094 is considered by many to be a close approximation for the bronze green used on USAAC/USAAF/USAF aircraft. IIRC Euro dark green is  FS34092, which is also close, so you might look at that color as done by various paint manufacturers. I have also seen FS34058 mentioned as a good match. @Selwyn  might know, as he is one of the go-to aerial RAF/RN ordnance authorities. (I wouldn't think the USAAC/USAAF bronze green would be the same as the color used by the RAF.)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text

3 hours ago, tmeyer said:

Hello All,

I've looked around for deep bronze green (for bombs) and I wonder what brand/colour you use for deep bronze green?  I know Humbrol 75 is bronze green, but I'm wondering what other options I may have.  this Yank is a bit confused, too, by the seemingly similar to olive drab colour on weathered bombs and the slightly greener colour on newer/less weathered bombs.

Thank you!

Tom

Deep Bronze Green is from the British standard BS381C colour 224.   It is better known as a British Armour colour it was used pre ww2 and post war as the standard base colour for all British Army vehicles from 1950's to the early 1970'S.

I personally use Xtracolour DBG as it is to the 224 standard.

Bombs are just as you say,weathered. They are sometimes stored outside and paint gets sun bleached and faded to various degrees. If I recall British 1000lb bombs were repainted every 10 years.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

FS34094 is considered by many to be a close approximation for the bronze green used on USAAC/USAAF/USAF aircraft. IIRC Euro dark green is also FS34094, so you might look at that color as done by various paint manufacturers. I have also seen FS34058 mentioned as a good match. @Selwyn  might know, as he is one of the go-to aerial RAF/RN ordnance authorities. (I wouldn't think the USAAC/USAAF boinze green would be the same as the color used by the RAF.)

Mike

If you mean the darker green of the Europe 1 scheme, this is 34092, not 34094.

Fs 34094 is the green used as base in the Army CARC scheme

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

If you mean the darker green of the Europe 1 scheme, this is 34092,

Yep- I typed in the wrong  FS number- thanks for the catch, Giorgio; I will amend my post. Grazie molto!

Mike

Thank you all for your suggestions!  I really appreciate them!

I'll have to look and see if I can find Xtracolour paints over here and Colourcoats is a losing battle, as the distributor doesn't carry much and doesn't get any resupply.

I may be able to do the Humbrol 3 and 100.  I'll have to look.

Thank you again!

Tom

7 hours ago, tmeyer said:

Colourcoats is a losing battle, as the distributor doesn't carry much and doesn't get any resupply.

Thank you again!

Tom

There's 80kg of resupply sitting ready to be picked up for the USA right now, and another 1200 tins on order.

It sells faster than we can make it. After 2 years of no orders from anywhere outside the UK and allowing the stock to run down to maintain cash flow we got a surge of everyone wanting more as soon as the pandemic was declared but now the production was badly affected.

When the last order reached the US loads of people got in touch proudly telling me they'd bought 6 of everything to hoard, then immediately afterwards I was being moaned at for not foreseeing this and taking it upon myself to increase the dealer's order.

Ultimately I agree with you - it's a losing battle!

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Ultimately I agree with you - it's a losing battle!

Just pack up and shift production to Texas....no VAT and no state income tax! (Plus, you'd be a lot closer to my house!) :giggle:

Mike

The U.S. distributor I contacted back in January said he was expecting a re-stock and to send my list to him to fill when he received more...have yet to hear anything, but am  keeping my fingers crossed. (Don't make me come over there!) :angry:

• Haha 1

Alclad makes British Deep Bronze green: ALCE050. Hataka does one too: HTK-A271. For FS34092 there are numerous manufacturers, too many to list. Same as for FS34094. I used MRP-235 FS34092 for my bombs

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Just pack up and shift production to Texas....no VAT and no state income tax! (Plus, you'd be a lot closer to my house!) :giggle:

Mike

:offtopic:

That's a hell of a daily commute for Jamie to get to his real job in Aberdeen though 🤣

Duncan B

• Haha 6

Thank you all again so much for your help!  I do have some Model Master 34092 I could use.

Jamie, you'll never hear anything like that from me!  I so greatly appreciate your paints and the work you do, in addition to your full time job!  The US distributor needs to step up, as @72modeler has mentioned.

Again, thanks so much for all your help.  @Selwyn, many thanks as well for your contribution.  I'll look for the paint.

And yes, Texas to Aberdeen would be a haul.  Maybe with a new hypersonic airplane :)?

Tom

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, tmeyer said:

Jamie, you'll never hear anything like that from me!  I so greatly appreciate your paints and the work you do, in addition to your full time job!  The US distributor needs to step up, as @72modeler has mentioned.

Tom

Hi Tom,

It's not the distributors so much, it's us. We're capacity constrained and we can't make it fast enough. For domestic customers it's not a problem because they can (and mostly do) order what's available when it's available but due to the extreme constraints of DG shipping (and by that I mean the high starting price) the US (and Australian) distributors need *everything* together at one time. That poses a number of different issues for a micro-business but I won't bore you with them.

Anyway, the above mentioned 80kg has left us and will be with the DG forwarding agent today so it will be on sale in the USA shortly. We've now started on the next US order but, predictably, we have a long list of colours to remanufacture to have sufficient stocks to fulfil it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, tmeyer said:

Thank you all again so much for your help!  I do have some Model Master 34092 I could use.

Again, thanks so much for all your help.  @Selwyn, many thanks as well for your contribution.  I'll look for the paint.

And yes, Texas to Aberdeen would be a haul.  Maybe with a new hypersonic airplane :)?

Tom

34092 is quite different from british 224 US bronze green is not the same as UK bronze green.

Selwyn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 1:57 AM, Selwyn said:

34092 is quite different from british 224 US bronze green is not the same as UK bronze green.

Selwyn

Thank you for that, Selwyn!  Who's paint do you use?

Thanks,

Tom

15 hours ago, tmeyer said:

Thank you for that, Selwyn!  Who's paint do you use?

Thanks,

Tom

Selwyn

modern BS381c deep bronze green is still the same as 1930ties DBG and 1950ties DBG.
The classic Landy look. In the restoration world the easiest colour.
Modelling less... I always found Tamiya XF-13 with gloss varnish very close if you want straight out of the bottle. As always Mike Starmer is the mix man if you want it 100%.

IMG_1103-e1510751736923.jpg

7 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

Thank you so much, Selwyn!!

Tom

On 4/24/2021 at 1:57 PM, JPuente54 said:

@tmeyer and other BM members in the USA, https://www.kitlinx.com  does sell Xtracolor paints. I just received a few tins a couple of days ago.

HTH

Joe

Apologies, Joe!  I missed this!  I'll check them out-I've ordered from them a few times and alwys get good service.

Thanks,

Tom

But if they do not provide the colours needed, then you don't need them.  Which was the context.  As for Japanese kits being widely available and good quality, the first certainly isn't true of the majority and although I have many Japanese kits in my collection, they are certainly of variable quality.  Just like those from other nations.  I have tried some Japanese paints but only the Gunze lacquers have impressed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 22/04/2021 at 23:57, Selwyn said:

I using it too, I think scale wise is can appear too dark and it's annoying that it's matt as it's one of the few AFV colours that was used in a gloss finish.