Tamiya 1/32 F-16 CJ.

So this is the finished model straight OOB with no after market with the exception of cockpit decals for the dials the rest was painted with a microscope. I black based the model and mottled the grey in layers with browns to get a worn look. Person ally I'm happy with the result it's got to be my best effort to date. I used Flory Models wash for thr panel lines and kit drcals for the markings. I wanted to do an Israeli or Norwegian F-16 but I couldn't get the decals anywhere I looked on Google so I went with the kit decals I'm happy with them even if they are pretty thick. The gloss is Klear floor polish and I didn't do a great job on the Amraams or Harm missiles so I binned them and this is probably a more realistic load out anyway. It's not my favourite aircraft but it's definitely a great kit. Hope you guys like the photos!

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I'm especially impressed with the cockpit and engine exhaust. Both beautifully done!

Thanks, the engine is almost a small kit itself and the cockpit goes together well. It's not so hard on the eyes when doing a 32nd scale cockpit at least lol.

11 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Really nice result Deano! Shows that you don't really have to spend a small fortune on aftermarket! 

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks very much, I've seen this kit with a ton added to it but I just wanted a straight forward build so just stuck with the contents of the box. I didn't bother with the Radar or gun as I like the aircraft looking sleek so I kept everything closed. I still have the pilots and ladder on the sprue so I can add these at a later date and the RBF tags in the box as well. 

• Like 1

As a 22 year USAF Viper maintainer, I enjoy seeing F-16 builds! Love the paintwork on your jet, especially the camo, exhaust and cockpit. If I may provide some info for future Viper builds...the leading edge flaps (LEFs) on the wings are normally at 2 degrees up (above streamline) while the aircraft is on the ground. They don't drop/schedule until the aircraft is airborne, unlike the flaperons and horizontal stabilizers that "droop" after the hydraulic systems are depressurized. 

Edited by viperchief
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, viperchief said:

As a 22 year USAF Viper maintainer, I enjoy seeing F-16 builds! Love the paintwork on your jet, especially the camo, exhaust and cockpit. If I may provide some info for future Viper builds...the leading edge flaps (LEFs) on the wings are normally at 2 degrees up (above streamline) while the aircraft is on the ground. They don't drop/schedule until the aircraft is airborne, unlike the flaperons and horizontal stabilizers that "droop" after the hydraulic systems are depressurized. 

Ah right I had no idea just thought it looked cool but I will definitely Remember this as I'm probably gonna make more F-16s. Just to clarify when you say 2 degrees up, you mean the leading edge flaps are pointing upwards from level at 2 degrees when on the ground?

8 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

Ah right I had no idea just thought it looked cool but I will definitely Remember this as I'm probably gonna make more F-16s. Just to clarify when you say 2 degrees up, you mean the leading edge flaps are pointing upwards from level at 2 degrees when on the ground?

That is correct. It isn't much, but noticeable. Take a look at some Viper pics online and you'll see what I mean. The prototype Viper had the LEFs down while on the ground but it was determined that leaving them up until liftoff reduced drag/takeoff distance. Cheers!

https://images.app.goo.gl/zGnAzeXrJW17at7v8

Edited by viperchief
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, viperchief said:

That is correct. It isn't much, but noticeable. Take a look at some Viper pics online and you'll see what I mean. The prototype Viper had the LEFs down while on the ground but it was determined that leaving them up until liftoff reduced drag/takeoff distance. Cheers!

Thanks for that information I do look at photos of the real aircraft for reference but I have never noticed that before. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Here it sits now and the planes side by side are 48th scale shows you how big a Flanker and Vark are or Pig as the Aussies called it I believe, correct me here if I'm wrong. The F-16 is a great looking model on the shelf and as big as it is it's a more practical model in 32nd scale however if either of the other two become available in 32nd scale I'dget my wallet out and the space would be an after thought lol.

Edited by Deano353
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

Haha the Flanker is somewhere out there!! Its huge though! The markings are from the kit yes there's no after market. 

Edited by Deano353

Really nice result, I've built a lot of Academy Vipers but only one Tamiya and you've done a brilliant job with this. I like the Have Glass-y looking finish as well. Good job!

On 4/23/2021 at 6:44 PM, viperchief said:

the leading edge flaps (LEFs) on the wings are normally at 2 degrees up (above streamline) while the aircraft is on the ground. They don't drop/schedule until the aircraft is airborne, unlike the flaperons and horizontal stabilizers that "droop" after the hydraulic systems are depressurized. 

I've been building F-16s for commissions and this is news to me 😲 thanks for this gem of info! Funny how some things are only obvious when somebody points it out 😂

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 8:36 AM, Alan P said:

Really nice result, I've built a lot of Academy Vipers but only one Tamiya and you've done a brilliant job with this. I like the Have Glass-y looking finish as well. Good job!

Thanks for that the finish is actually just floor polish I made sure to rub down the paint with 3000 grit micromesh so the surface was very smooth and then I sprayed the first coat and then left it for 24 hours and then sprayed about 4 more coats including one to seal so possibly 6 coats of gloss and somehow it still looks Matt in some images which is great I think.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 1:36 AM, Alan P said:

I've been building F-16s for commissions and this is news to me 😲 thanks for this gem of info! Funny how some things are only obvious when somebody points it out 😂

You're very welcome!!

That's outstanding and excellent work. Shows how a kit done well does not the kitchen sink of AM thrown at it. Very nice effects, as others have said, those exhaust petals are great.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Parabat said:

That's outstanding and excellent work. Shows how a kit done well does not the kitchen sink of AM thrown at it. Very nice effects, as others have said, those exhaust petals are great.

Thanks very much, yeah with the whole kit I just wanted to see how well I could get the model to look with no extras and just paint. The engine exhaust was alclad 2 and yeah I think because its a very good kit it wasn't a slog even though it's big. There's no missiles besides the Sidewinders as I made a mess of them lol so I figured if I didnt get it to scratch then its not going on.

• Like 1