USAF Osprey takes out hospital helicopter pad

JohnT

17 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

This is not about modelling,and is already being discussed here :

I know, and I've asked Mike to close this or merge it with the other.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2

On 22/04/2021 at 18:10, Mike said:

:owww: Someone didn't check things over thoroughly before they allowed it to set down and then take off.  Hopefully they can just slap it back down again, and maybe peg it down a bit firmer next time? :hmmm:

Thankfully it all blew away from the blades, and no-one was nearby :S

Mike,

I started a thread on this in Aircraft Modelling /real aviation by mistake.

Could you either close it or merge it with this?

Ta

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

I started a thread on this in Aircraft Modelling /real aviation by mistake.

Could you either close it or merge it with this?

Sure thing :yes: Looks like John was a bit quicker off the block, but yours was busier ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slater said:

Ospreys are just...loud. It's the nature of the aircraft. Probably not an optimal characteristic when carrying out it's SpecOps role, but that probably applies to most things with rotors. 

Hmm...

If you want to move some weight oversome distance quickly, noise currently is unavoidable...

Fenestrons and fancy shaped rotor tips sure improve noise levels a bit...

Osprey, Chinook, etc do not have that... 

But I am sure that the military is looking at battery powered smaller vehicles for the last mile....

• Haha 1

On 25/04/2021 at 05:49, Slater said:

Maybe a call to the US Embassy would be in order:

"If you insist on landing your obscenely loud and obviously destructive aircraft at this location, may we humbly request that you cough up the funds for a nice sturdy concrete pad".  :D

I don’t think the Osprey landed there on a whim, it would have been planned and referred to in the Jepp/NOTAMS and someone has likely dropped a testicle in regards to either the true category or cut corners in pinning it down.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I don’t think the Osprey landed there on a whim, it would have been planned and referred to in the Jepp/NOTAMS and someone has likely dropped a testicle in regards to either the true category or cut corners in pinning it down.  

A pre-planned training operation announced on the 352nd Special Operations Wing's Facebook page beforehand:

The 352nd Special Operations Wing, located at RAF Mildenhall, will conduct training at Addenbrooke Hospital's helicopter pad, today, April 21, 2021, during the day hours. The CV-22B Osprey will execute medical-transfer training operations and then depart the hospital shortly after. Planners for the exercise have assessed the area and our crews will follow all relevant procedures.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 06:32, gazza l said:

Just need some new turf for the burnt grass! 

those Osprey exhaust designers obviously had other things in mind then soil/ landing spot protection... seems to be an issue for shipboard ops as well :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

those Osprey exhaust designers obviously had other things in mind then soil/ landing spot protection... seems to be an issue for shipboard ops as well :(

Given all the problems during development and testing, and the years lost trying to give the aircraft some basic capability, the exhaust issue probably seemed like a tiny detail! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Given all the problems during development and testing, and the years lost trying to give the aircraft some basic capability, the exhaust issue probably seemed like a tiny detail! 

You are absolutely right! One quickly forgets these things over the years.... 

Maybe they even work like small jets and provide additional thrust instead if torque ;)

• Like 1

Reminds me of the one and only time I made it to the Farnborough airshow. There was another attempt but it ended ignominiously, but that's another story. 

Anyway that was the year the Antonov 225 was on show. But no one had considered the effect those outboard engines would have on the edges of the taxiway. Debris went everywhere and several taxiway lights were flung into the air. I felt the blast and those closer were showered with grass and dust. It was most amusing. As it was a trade day there weren't too many around but imagine it on a public day! But I suppose by the time the public were let in lessons had been learned. 

That too will be the result of this little incident with the Osprey. Make sure your landing pad is secure. It clearly wasn't but I'll bet it is now. 

• Like 2

I wonder how this problem limits the tactical use of the Osprey or similar large rotorcrafts. If a squadron of Ospreys tries to deliver troops or supplies, do they need a huge paved and clean landing zone to prevent damaging each other with the dirt, trash and stones they kicked up?

41 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

I wonder how this problem limits the tactical use of the Osprey or similar large rotorcrafts. If a squadron of Ospreys tries to deliver troops or supplies, do they need a huge paved and clean landing zone to prevent damaging each other with the dirt, trash and stones they kicked up?

Israel seems to have opted for the Ch-53k....Ospreys must have more disadvantages than the huge range and speed increase does not off-set... interesting!

Both are expensive by the way....

On 4/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, Doc72 said:

Not at all.  Plenty of pics out there of V-22's flying into unprepared LZ's.