USAF Osprey takes out hospital helicopter pad

JohnT

:owww: Someone didn't check things over thoroughly before they allowed it to set down and then take off.  Hopefully they can just slap it back down again, and maybe peg it down a bit firmer next time? :hmmm:

5 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

Crikey, that could have been a bit nasty.

Thankfully it all blew away from the blades, and no-one was nearby :S

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

The grass pad remains... can land there as well I guess as the Osprey did.... not that comfortable maybe ...

But no drama either I reckon

Could have been a major drama if the large pieces of debris had damaged the aircraft! But there are worse places to crash, I suppose...

• Haha 2

Mikes got it right .... these LS are authorised for use for different class of helos ....the main ones are checked out periodically to ensure they are fit for purpose....nobody has stuck a pylon on the approach or shoots (exit) and that it is secure. ...ive no doubt  a Merlin or Chinook would have done the same.

Im out of date (11 years wheres the time gone 😔) but any commando MAOT on here ?

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, Whofan said:

Nope,

That was an Air Force Osprey, not one from the Marines!

Cheers,

WARDOG

6 hours ago, WARDOG said:

Nope,

That was an Air Force Osprey, not one from the Marines!

Cheers,

WARDOG

Thanks for pointing that out!

Do I feel ... Stupid!!

Blimey, my own local hospital at Ipswich looks quite substantial in contrast with what looks like a concrete raised base. I'm only literally 10-15minute walk from it and whilst seen a helicopter take off from it in a car (and felt the downdraft as it drifted over the road) I haven't been there in person as you can get quite near via the road. 

This pic from the hospital via Twitter is awaiting the "H" to be painted, could be something to learn from, this was installed not long ago

51134441867_79b707a826_k.jpg

The matting torn up by the CV22 wasn't actually a pad as such. The Osprey actually landed on the grass and the matting was apparently there to facilitate easier movement of wheeled stretchers etc. The same woukd have happened with a Chinook. A lesson to be learned here. The USAF/MOD have undertaken to provided a much better replacement so something good will come from this.

• Like 1

Maybe a call to the US Embassy would be in order:

"If you insist on landing your obscenely loud and obviously destructive aircraft at this location, may we humbly request that you cough up the funds for a nice sturdy concrete pad".  :D

Edited by Slater
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Slater said:

Maybe a call to the US Embassy would be in order:

"If you insist on landing your obscenely loud and obviously destructive aircraft at this location, may we humbly request that you cough up the funds for a nice sturdy concrete pad".  :D

I would say its kinda useful to have a 'obscenely loud......' when its carrying out its casevac role ....have I miss read your comment? ?