Air museums

Miko

It's my usual habit to visit an air museum maybe a couple of times a year, I've been lucky in that in my travels I've seen some spectacular sights around the world, but now in the UK are there places of interest I can visit in the middle of this awful pandemic?

Previously visited Duxford Cosford Farnborough and. . . . I can't remember the name of the place?

So, anywhere open this weekend?

In the government’s four-step roadmap to remove lockdown restrictions, museums in England can reopen on Monday 17 May. So while shops and libraries can open from Monday 12 April, we’ll have to wait another month after that until we can return to our favourite collections.

HTH

Mike

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Newark Aircraft Museum has restricted access (outside exhibits) this coming weekend. http://newarkairmuseum.org/Visiting_In_Spring_2021

Thanks for your replies guys, some great suggestions, a trip to Winthorpe is in order, haven't been there for quite a few years, last time was to research a couple of builds. 

The staff were really helpful and compliant and allowed me to get close up with their Canberra PR7 and Blackburn NA39, it was around the time they acquired their Viggen which was being prepared for display

Miko

Newark and Doncaster are my locals;

Very friendly staff and constantly expanding collections.

I seem to recall that Doncaster boasts the largest collection of Canberras (all cockpits) in the world and the second largest collection of Westland aircraft. They are also starting restoration on a Lightning F3, which is ex-Binbrook LTF (also close to me). They have a new set of wings for her, so XR713 will get knocked off it's pedestal as 'The only uncut F3'. 

Newark is soon due to receive a twin-sticker Typhoon and has, under restoration, the only Chinook on public display anywhere in the UK.

Cheers,

WV908

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2021 at 11:39 AM, WV908 said:

the only Chinook on public display anywhere in the UK.

Not wanting to a smart-bottom here, but adding the word "complete" would be appropriate here. There is a short section of a Chinook (cockpit and about 18 feet of the main-cabin) on display at the RAF Museum at Hendon.  

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Hi @spruecutter96 

Yeah I forgot about that one, but then again, Newark's is hardly complete either haha 

Cheers,

WV908

I think they've got almost a complete one in bits. 

Seems odd that they went for one in such a condition, instead they could have waited for one to be retired andhad it flown in.... I think Chinooks have landed at the museum before. 

Probably some reason or other why ZA717 was chosen