Airfix Vickers Vanguard

One I’ve had on the shelf a while now the airfix vanguard. 
A somewhat simplistic model (though I think a rather old mould) that came out rather well. No real issues with decals or fit just a few minor adjustments to the paint based on pictures online eg the black outboard nacelle. 
Well worth adding to your collection if you see it available.

spacer.pngspacer.png spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Looking great! I’ve got this in my stash for when I do a few airliners again, hopefully ends up as nice as this. Lovely BEA colours.

There’s something about the BEA colours that just make it look right. Even the A320 BA did looked better in BEA. 

The Vanguard is a handsome aircraft which looks good in any livery but I agree with @aerotechithat there is something special about BEA red square. Thanks for sharing your build.

If you are interested the Airfix kit originally came out in 1962. I think it was the first of the "Skyking" series. It is simplified and lacking detail by today's standards but it still scrubs up well for a kit that's almost 60 years old.

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The Vanguard is a handsome aircraft which looks good in any livery but I agree with @aerotechithat there is something special about BEA red square. Thanks for sharing your build.

If you are interested the Airfix kit originally came out in 1962. I think it was the first of the "Skyking" series. It is simplified and lacking detail by today's standards but it still scrubs up well for a kit that's almost 60 years old.

Dave G

Thanks for that but if history Dave, I thought it was old and certainly lacks detail compared to modern standards but you’re right it builds well and looks tidy. 

59 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Always liked the Vanguard a stretched Viscount as such and very nicely done.

Some fine white decal stripe will make the framing of the cockpit window easier, I often 'cheat' with it....

Decal stripe tape?

All this one is free hand but for others I often use (subject to size) lining tape acquired when painting real aircraft. 

55 minutes ago, aerotechi said:

Thanks. Didn’t know you could get such tape. Most id seen before is a mask. 

It's not really tape - it's waterslide decal stripe. You can get it from Hannants and various other sources in several different colours. I always have white, black, red and silver in my decal stash. They have many uses. White is handy for windscreen frames as @Paulaero has mentioned; black is useful for wing walkways and de-icing boots on propliners (use the decal to create the outline then fill in with black paint); red is useful for safety markings on wingtips and flap track fairings; and silver is handy for all sorts of things including door sills and small areas of contrast on a natural metal finish.

27 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

It's not really tape - it's waterslide decal stripe. You can get it from Hannants and various other sources in several different colours. I always have white, black, red and silver in my decal stash. They have many uses. White is handy for windscreen frames as @Paulaero has mentioned; black is useful for wing walkways and de-icing boots on propliners (use the decal to create the outline then fill in with black paint); red is useful for safety markings on wingtips and flap track fairings; and silver is handy for all sorts of things including door sills and small areas of contrast on a natural metal finish.

Thanks. Really versatile then. 
For most things I use lining tape and then paint but obviously it gets somewhat harder the smaller the part.