Eurasia Aviation Corporation Junkers F 13

Brad

This Revell 1/72 kit is probably one of the oldest in my stash, well over 20 years it's sat. Well time to break it out I say. I haven't quite finished the Zlin but that's ok, I can have several kits on the boil at the same time.

Eurasia Aviation Corporation was based in Shanghai and was a Sino-German enterprise. They operated throughout China from 1925 and used a variety of Junkers aircraft. Most of their remaining fleet was destroyed on December 7th 1941 when a Japanese air raid hit Kai Tak airfield in Hong Kong.

The conversion set looks very nice, it includes replacement parts for the upper fuselage, wheels, ailerons, fin, rudder and horizontal stabs, along with the decals. There is also a very nice book out on the history of the airline which I also have.

P0QqQjY.jpg?1

Edited by Brad
  • Like 10

Hi Brad,

Nice choice for the GB - I also have this little kit in my stash so will be following your build with interest.  I picked it up in a sale from one of the online retailers as it was an interesting little subject and I'm a fan of all things German aviation so I was very pleasantly surprised at what a nice little kit it is and the nice details it has, in particular, the infamous Junkers corrugated skin.  Also, the fact that you can utilise other colour schemes with some brighter colours (like your chosen scheme) is an added bonus. 

Good luck with this one Brad - it should be a little cracker when completed :thumbsup:

Kris

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Broke plastic on this last night. The interior is pretty nice.

2SZiewF.jpg?1

Fuselage sides are glued together so I can just slip the interior in when painted. Also note the differences in the upper fuselage, mostly with the cowlings and exhaust. The Eurasian aircraft has the exhaust down the fuselage side not coming from the top of the cowling.

M0A3Csr.jpg?1

• Like 8

I have a real soft spot for corrugated aircraft so this one is right up my street.

I look forward to learning the secret art of applying decals to a corrugated surface.

Good luck with this one.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Brad,

Excellent choice. Have been obsessed with the Ju F13 recently and have built five, from 1/87 Roskopf kit in Canadian ski plane livery (JBot decals), to 1/72 Leudemann resin conversion for the Belgian pigeon loft. The Revell kit is a good 'un and builds well. No real vices as fit is excellent. Your EAM books reference is exemplary and one of the reasons I built so many (more in the pipeline including the Danzige Luftpost yellow job and the Fiat engined sexy Transadriatica job).

As with any ribbed fuselage use your favourite method to get the decals to lay flat. Do not be scared of glossing it heavily as you can flatten the surface when all is secure.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

Mr Mark should take care of those decals, but we will see how it goes. Progressing slowly, I ran out of Mr Surfacer 1000 so had to make a hobby shop run this morning as there are odd little gaps to fill and you really don't want to be sanding much at all.

I cut the ailerons out from the wings which is easy with the soft plastic. The resin replacements are a good fit.

afF1X3D.jpg?1

Taking my time gluing the top of the fuselage. Fit is pretty good, but there is a bit of the gap at the front and I think I need to do some carving to fit all the tail inplace, that next. I haven't done any painting yet, thought I would wait until the fuselage is finished off as I can slot the interior in from the bottom before the wing is glued to the rest. Saves resin dust getting everywhere.

n121xDb.jpg?1

• Like 7

I'm not too happy with the fit of the tail sections. I'm not sure if I stuffed up but I had to do a bit of surgery to make everything come close to fitting. I still need to do a little more work on it I think, but hmm.

D9g3Ne6.jpg

I did paint the interior but you can't see much anyway so stopped myself doing any of the actual details. I also cut off a few bits that were snagging and using a little gentle force to keep the fuselage to the wings and limit the amount of sanding. I will use some clear parts cement to make windows as I really hate putting in plastic ones, you almost never get them to fit perfect.

wNriSIu.jpg

• Like 8

This has presented some challenges, but I think I'm ontop of things. I've pretty much finished construction and have applied some Mr Surfacers 1000 to all the points that I think need a little attention, just awaiting that to dry then sand back a touch. I'm not too happy with the alerions though, they look like they should be a straight drop in fit for the kit parts when cut out, however looking at the reference they taper in quite sharply to meet the wing trailing edge, so I guess I am going to be doing a little surgery on them. 

Also the exhaust needs to be cut down and bent straight along with me needing to make a small mounting bracket for it. I'll do this after main painting.

480V42U.jpg?1

• Like 5

I applied some Tamiya matt white last night, let that dry and then some Gunze gloss red. I'll let this dry then mask it off and apply black.

6wKQomg.jpg?1

1MxuhHe.jpg?1

• Like 6

Red was masked and the black applied. I let that dry overnight before masking up and applying the silver.

1KACy4j.jpg?1

Not too bad. You can see I blew up the painting guide and cut a mask for the front black demarcation line. It was easier than trying to use that curving Tamiya tape which did not stick well to the corrugated surface. 

XJTsEuJ.jpg?1

• Like 7

Finishing off some of the smaller parts. It looks like she might have had a metal prop. I'll paint the face of it aluminium. The windscreens don't look as though they'd do much to keep out the cold and the rain, especially flying through central China!

9jzT0td.jpg?1

Ahh decals. Took me about 45 minutes to get these 3 on. There are another 11 decals that I plan to get on tonight. They seem to be sitting ok, although they suffered some cracking when pressed down. I might just leave that as weathering.

SqxYWU6.jpg?1

• Like 6

Finished. Phew. I'm very happy with his this turned out as I've been looking at this kit in my stash for nearly 20 years. More pics in the gallery. Thanks for following along.

Xpqrdly.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Very well executed. And you did a splendid job on getting the decals to conform. Am busy with other projects but will pick up my F13s again. After that I have a bunch of Junkers G24s - again using Rob Mulder et al's book on that particular aircraft. They are reasonably cheap kits and might make a good addition to your collection. 🙂

• Like 1