Dragon 1/72 Challenger II & HobbyBoss Merkava IIID opinions

Shalako

Hello chaps,

Due to lack of space, I am now focusing more on building 1/72 tanks, and I would like to ask your opinions about two kits which I always wanted to build, in 1/35 but now, only in 1/72.

I would like your opinions on the following two kits; the Dragon Challenger II and the Hobby Boss Merkava IIID. Are these two kits any good? And, are there any inaccuracies with these two kits?

Many thanks for your attention chaps and I look forward to reading your opinions.

Cheers,

Bill

For 1/72nd armour I have always found this site quite useful. It certainly has some information concerning both the models you mention above.

On the Way

As far as I can tell we are allowed to link to other sites but if this is not the case please accept my apologies and delete this post.

So, from what I read Pete, the Dragon Challenger II, has an issue with the hull; it's a bit too long, and the Hobby Boss Merkava also has the same issue and it is a bit simplified but, with crisp details. But, other than that both kits are very accurate.

Many thanks for pointing out that website Pete. Looks like I'm in for a treat!

Cheers,

Bill

TheDragon kit is basically a mess, it looks like a challenger when built but that’s about it, the hull has some dimensional problems, worse though are the detail problems, engine deck too long squashed behind the turret, puts the features all over the place. The turret is the worst, nice and crisp details but completely the wrong angles all over, unfortunately the only other offering the Trumpeter C2 is not much better, although the hull is better the detail is softer and the turret has a whole other set of problems. The Hobbyboss kit is quite nice, although fairly simplified in build it is fairly accurate and most of the detail is there with the exception of the ball armour, which is possibly the only good thing about the Revell kit.

@Old pro: Thanks for posting your opinion mate but, may I ask if these are details you have noticed after checking the kit against some photographs, or, did you read them on a web page? The reason why I am asking you this is because your views, contradict with what I have read in the following website "onthewaymodels.com" and therefore, makes my kits' choice more difficult.

Cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

@Old pro: Thanks for posting your opinion mate but, may I ask if these are details you have noticed after checking the kit against some photographs, or, did you read them on a web page? The reason why I am asking you this is because your views, contradict with what I have read in the following website "onthewaymodels.com" and therefore, makes my kits' choice more difficult.

Cheers,

Bill

If you check out the articles page at on the way you will find two article about the Challenger 2 one about the Dragon kit and one comparison between dragon and Trumpeter, both written by me taken from extensive photos and drawings, I never did a part 2 on the Dragon kit as even after I went to the trouble of trying to correct the turret, and casting a copy I found that the front was off giving it a twisted look, I thought I had messed up the mould somehow but no it was a problem that I missed with the kit. 

Generally the WW2 stuff has accurate reviews but some of the modern reviews don’t talk about the inaccuracies in the kits or point out the problems, some of the remarks “best kit on the market” are now outdated and sometimes inaccurate 

31 minutes ago, Old pro said:

If you check out the articles page at on the way you will find two article about the Challenger 2 one about the Dragon kit and one comparison between dragon and Trumpeter, both written by me taken from extensive photos and drawings, I never did a part 2 on the Dragon kit as even after I went to the trouble of trying to correct the turret, and casting a copy I found that the front was off giving it a twisted look, I thought I had messed up the mould somehow but no it was a problem that I missed with the kit. 

Cheers mate.

So, from the two kits that interest me only, the Hobby Boss is in a slightly better condition (mind the detail you referred that is only present on the Revell kit).

The hobbyboss kit is quite nice despite its simplicity, well detailed due to well thought out moulding, only let down by the lack of ball and chain, if you ask Revell nicely they might send you some, of the two challenger kits, the trumpeter one is the most aesthetic pleasing of the two and looks closer also probably cheaper than the dragon kit and easier to get hold of.