The Battle and Sack of Aberdeen 1644

I just uploaded this latest slideshow to my YT channel around 30-minutes ago.

I had a tough job deciding which audio track to use for this one.

Tried "The Bonnie Lass oh Fyvie" as it's a traditional folk song set during the Wars of Montrose and the village of Fyvie in Aberdeenshire was the scene of one of his battles.

But nope, that didn't work.

So I then thought of "The Flowers of the Forest", but although I love the bagpipes, truth is, I never cared much for that particular tune.

Went through a few more bagpipe laments, but simply couldn't find one I wanted to use in this slideshow.

So I eventually went for a song that I reckon does fit okay.

The show itself is about a pretty obscure event and I really wanted to provide some additional info.

So I included the these four slides that provide the historical background. You can either read them here, or just pause the video when they come up.

AA.png

BB.png

CC.png

DD.png

Of course, there's far more to The Great Montrose than I can cover in four slides, but that would've entailed writing a book...☺️

Cheers the Noo

• Like 7

6 hours ago, 73north said:

Down at Selkirk in Scottish Borders he suffered on his very few defeats when surprised at Philipheugh ( or philipburn )

Montrose suffered two major defeats during his military career. Philiphaugh in 1645 and Carbisdale in 1650. Both largely due to poor knowledge of the whereabouts of his numerically superior opponents.

The subsequent treatment of Royalist prisoners by the Covenant after both battles would be shocking.

Poor military intelligence on the location of his opponents caused by lack of proper reconnaissance almost led to defeat at Fyvie and the Battle of Auldearn.  

It's been said that his eventual victory at Auldearn in 1645, was entirely due to the leadership of his lieutenant Alasdair "MaColla" MacDonald, who commanded the Irish levies. A claim that to a large extent is probably true.

Two reasonable enough videos came up on my YT feed recently and are well worth watching.

This one deals mainly with political considerations.

While this one provides a good overview, despite the narrator coming under fire for butchering his pronunciation of several place names, which is a bit unfair as they are indeed difficult to get right if you're unfamiliar with them.

Edited by Cadman
typos